Thanks

Puppys Tutorial!!!

i spent some time getting this together please tell me what you think!!! please check it out! i hope you enjoy it!!!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=360791

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hmm to be honest i think you have alot of work to do before you try writing tutorials, the process makes sense but the rendering is pretty in-accurate as a final result, you should work on your painting more and refine your process, their are to many issues to crit but just in general practice perspective, drawing and painting in general. its cool you contirbuted though
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    practice perspective, painting, and drawing... lol..thanks for the vague words.

Thanks
    im kinda confused by it too. is it in a city? is that a floating train thingy? why is there a random bird head at he bottom. also dont use black to shade. makes it look real dirty. which isnt good.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    urs intern

Thanks
    No offense, but I think you're at a point with your skills that you'd be better off looking at other's tutorials, rather than making your own. It's good to document your process, though- You can learn a lot about what you're doing by justifying each step of the way.

A few things that you should pay attention to in your steps- I really think you misplace the value of the thumbnail. You say it took you 1-2 minutes, when in actuality, it should be one of the longest steps in your process. You save so much time and effort by having your ideas finalized before you start painting. A good thumbnail has the composition and a good idea of the value range for the piece, and ltos of times doing color roughs before you start helps as well. Doing all the process work before you start actually painting gives you something to reference to and fall back on, so you don't get lost while you're working. Look at how well developed the pro's thumbnails are (Foster's a good example of someone who does extensive prep work).

Anyway, check out some of the tuts from the pros, and look at some traditional painting tutorials, they'll help you tons. good luck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluepuppy
    urs intern
    Intern's points are valid, puppy... I don't know what's going on in your image, either. And, using black for shadows really kills the life in things, it's better to use complimentary colors and different levels of saturation to generate light and shadow.

You put the tutorial up, and asked for opinions... and you get them- So chill, no need to get huffy.

Thanks
    hehehe. you need to chill out dude. i was just showing ya a few things that stuck out. never take crits personally like your doing. we're attempting to help you out and you're being childish by saying up yours. just calm down a bit
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    man people on these boards need to grow up, if u cant take crits puppy you have no business in art.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    i agree with what these guys have said, at this point in time i think you should work on your skills more, leave the tutorials to people that visually communicate more effectively

i'm not sayin you can't teach people that ask, but honestly i didn't learn anything from your tutorial.

also chill dude, we're all just trying to give you our opinions like you asked, so long as the crits are consrtuctive and not something like "you fucking suck!" (which i don't think you do) then you should be content that people actually responded. we're all just trying to help each other

and though "practice perspective, painting, and drawing" are vague and general tips, they're quite accurate here, like myself, and many others on this forum, you need to keep up with perspective and the other basics

hope this helps, and don't take offense to my comments, after all they're just comments, we don't need moody people who take things out of context on these boards(unless it's political, that's a whole 'nother animal )

Thanks
    I agree with what everyone has said so far, you do need practice on the areas stated... as we all do, some more than others.

But the thing that confuses me is that your pre-work looks much better than the final product.
    Mankind will unite as one when our common enemy is found.

Thanks
    so, i agree with pretty much everything thats been said...but let me add.

there are things people might pick up from the way you work. for a tutorial also, you might want to include more step by step processes, rather then just the overall steps. If you went more in depth about what you were doing to bring things up, then it would make more sense. Also, it's probably not a good idea to post it if you didn't like the way it turned out...tutorials are generally supposed to be examples from which others will want to learn...

props for posting it though, other people might get something to take from this, and it helps the community. Honestly, I think more people should post tutorials. this place is all about sharing.

everyone who said "don't post a tutorial you should study" or whatever...thats dumb. When do you get to the level of posting a tutorial? It's good to share, and hopefully everyone can get something out of it, but if you don't...just relax. go make your own.

but, your own attitude, bluepuppy, is pretty pathetic after the fact. chill out dude.

Thanks
    i concur doctor jp42
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    heres a wip of the color phase.
    Puppys Tutorial!!!

Thanks
    first the fiasco in Carnifex's thread...
    meh

I like the surreal effect

Thanks
    thebluepuppy
    - could you explain whats going on in the pic? Whats the bird head for? Is it a character? Is it meant to be surreal? I see a 'city' in the background - but...but...?

As well as your 'tutorial' you should explain what is going on in your pic, what message or story your trying to get across to the audience...

Mollyx