Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Artistic Ability Talent or Skill?

Thanks

Artistic Ability Talent or Skill?

Do you think think artistic ability is something you're born with or just a skill you can pick up with practice?
    My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    talent = everyone

talent + practice = skill
    "The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." -C.S. Lewis
    "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid." -Proverbs 12:1

Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section!
    -Cyrus' Sketchbook-

Thanks
    talent + practice = skill
    Well, what about people turning out technically good work, which is still boring and unintersting and uninspired? I doubt there is much talent involved there.

Thanks

Arrow

I think of "talent" being much more of a head start. Art I feel is a skill that everyone can learn, some people just start out a little ahead than others. Coordination between eye and hand is a motor skill that people can learn with enough practice.

[scott]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU_Samurai
    Coordination between eye and hand is a motor skill that people can learn with enough practice.
    again, you and expose and Cyrus are referring back to the technical aspect of art. There's more to art than just that

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    a little bit of both.-c36

Thanks
    I think some people are better with visual things, including hand/eye coordination and the ability to think spatially; also some people find it easier to be creative ...

there's a wide range of separate abilties that can combine to be useful in the creation of art, and of course some people will be strong in some or all of them ... that's what I'd call talent, and of course it exists

but that doesn't mean that less-talented people can't slog along and master what comes more easily to the more gifted artist

also there's a dark side to talent: it's easy to set your goals too high, to peg your self-esteem to your work, to feel too much pressure too soon and lose the sense of joy in what you're doing ... there are tons of mind-games and traps in the arts

creativity itself is a strange beast; in a neurochemical sense, it's a bit of an aberration, full of tangents, peculiar patterns and associations -- this loose abilty to throw odd things together (syncretism) can bite you in the ass, which is what gives us the geniuses who can't finish anything because their brains are more like pinball machines than anything ...

imo a deep love of art and relentless determination are all you need to keep getting better, and it's just a matter of time before you produce decent work

just a few observations from an old creative flake, lol

--

Thanks
    Some people have a natural talent for art. I'd say everyone does, but then again some people have no apparent artistic ability whatesoever, so I'd say it's easier to assume that not everyone does so that the curve doesn't get dragged down.

Skill is built on top of whatever talent you have, and those two combined make up your artistic ability.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    I use this analogy: A piano is a machine. With practice, anyone can learn to operate it. But a only a talented person can make music.

Thanks
    Mmm...I dunno anymore...I just work and get paid.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    I think that within all of us, there is the ability to create. Whether you choose to use your talents or not, it's up to you. There are a lot of outside factors that influence whether you use your artistic talents or not and I think some people will agree with me when I say that family and the process of growing up have a great influence. Some parents cringe at the idea of theit sons/daughters becoming artists and some stop using their abilities because they have to have "real" jobs. Hence so many people go to work everyday hating their jobs and even their lives. Luckily for some of those people, they discover later on in their lives that they do have creative talent, whether is art, photography, crafts, music, etc.
    I also think that drive and determination have a huge role in our artistic talents. Without that, the ability to create art can't grow. Of course, practice goes hand in hand with it.

Thanks
    in the immortal words of Wayne Gretzky, "creativity and imagination can't be taught, but they can be fostered".
    they're skills unto themselves.
    talent is just being more prone to comprehending it all.
    ...knowing how to learn more efficiently.

we all have creativity and imagination and motor skills...so we're all born with artistic ability....but it's absolutely something that must be developed too.

....on another note, I really enjoyed that pinball machine brain analogy...cool beans.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    again, you and expose and Cyrus are referring back to the technical aspect of art. There's more to art than just that
    I couldn't agree with you more. There is that whole thing about creativity that I don't think anyone can really learn or master. I've got people here in my classes that know the details of typography more than I ever will, but they do the same crap with it everytime, never great, never bad, just... boring. Our teachers always try and encourage us to try new things and expierement with our typography, but some people always come back with the same lame stuff.

I guess after all that ranting about booooooring classmates, my question that I've looped myself back into is:

Is creativity a skill? Is it something that can be learned? Or do some people just have it, where as others don't?

I dont think that the skill side can exist without the creative side and vice versa. But enough of this for the night, I've gotta work on my final catalogue...

[scott]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast