my ongoing headache...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my ongoing headache...

heres my situation.
    i really wanted to do this illustration in oil but i dont have time to let it dry properly. The illustration needs to be done in 3 DAYS!!!! i was thinking about drying to put a hairdryer to it but i heard that cracks the paint potentially. or i could take a digital photo of the oil so far then "digi" it. i decided to take a thumbnail blow it up do line work on top, then digitally paint it....ergghh i love oils, but they hate me..... . i really only like to go "digi" when im low on time... i know it sounds like an excuse though... .
    im wondering if theyre are others who have these problems too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know much about oils, because all the the mediums and oils i used for painting were explained to me by the teacher, and i didn't bother to remember. But i though that using certain oils, like linseed, would speed up the drying process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Probably a little late but for future information...

This reply is probably a little late. But liquin speeds up the drying process. Linseed oil makes it dry slower. Hope that helps. Good luck with your project.

Oh, using a hairdryer on oil paint does not help to speed up the drying time like with water-based paints. I forget exactly the chemistry of oil paint but it just doesn't work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be carful with Liquin, I know a guy who was hospitalized from over-exposure.
    A well ventilated room and some rubber gloves will save your life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just use Acryllics then. They're of a similar quality to oil paints and they dry pretty quickly....in about 30 mins.

Just make sure you use a retarder when you want to work on it longer...if not you'll be losing a lot of paint because they dry up too damn fast.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Using Matte Medium with acrylics slows down the drying process but thins the paint. I also heard a trick of keeping a spray bottle handy, to remoisten the paint as it dries is a useful trick since it is waterbase and adding more water keeps it from drying. There are also those nifty stay-wet palettes that are supposed to keep your paint wet and usable for weeks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try gouash(sp?) i love it, way better then acryllic cause its reconstitutable, way more forgiving but nearly as virbrant as oils. Also arent there those fast drying oils?

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pat of the drying time of oils also really depends on the surface of the paper/canvas. I normally use bristol board (single ply in the pad) because it typically dries pretty quickly. Turpentine, drying linseed oil and Liquin all speed up the process. I typically end up using turpentine only and painting in thin coats and it dries pretty quickly.
    A fan is also good, hair dryers can work but you end up with the possibility of surface dry/thick in the middle if you paint heavy. You can also put it into an electric oven at a very low temperature. And lastly you can sort of dry it if you have a lamp on and somewhat close to it (No closer than 6 inches though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i did the illustration digitally, but im going to finish the oil on my own time. i did a tutorial. heres an update from the tutorial image which i have 6 hours to finish and a b and w rendering that go together as a set. heres a wip of the colored version. i didnt bother doing a tutorial on this phase because everyone was complaning that the tutorial sucked well here it is. my ongoing headache...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.