Art: Self Protrait - Pencils

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Self Protrait - Pencils

Hey guys. Just finished a self portrait and I thought I'd show you all. Took me about an hour to finish, although I think I could improve on the shadows... but I moved already. So blah.

Self Protrait - Pencils

Comments and crits always welcome! Im working on a portfolio for Ringling, so I hope this makes the cut.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its not too bad, ya the shadows could be better, but what bugs me the most is that your eyes are really large, you look like an anime character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eyes are a bit unrealistic. They look like a picasso painting would, a bit too angular, big and 2D.. The shadows seem rushed. Not enough depth in them. Good job on the mouth although I think it seems to be a fraction too low when you measure the length from the bottom of the chin. The nose is a bit too "Flat". I think that what is causing that are the nose"flaps" or "wings" (not sure about the name) are lackin shadows where the chin meets the nose. The iris is a bit too small compared to the pupils unless you're in a really dark light and I betcha you aint got white pupils. The year is a wee bit deformed.. Might wanna work on that. The throat muscles look correctly placed and shaded (if a bit rushed).

Sorry if I was a bit harsh. But hey, crits are crits. Dont get me wrong. Its not bad, but it aint good either. Ya'll get better. But in the meantime I'd recommend drawing people around you. So you wont be as "Critical" or "skewed" in your viewing. Ego has a big part in your errors.

Hope ya understand. Peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall your lines are a bit harsh. The only way to improve this is to practice drawing ALOT. You need to think more of building up your lights and darks with more in-between values. Start light though. Also, I assume you were looking at a picture of yourself to draw from, a very common mistake that artist make is not drawing what they see but drawing things how they believe they appear. In other words, you already have an idea of what an eyeball looks like, somewhat almond or oval shape, so you start drawing it the way you think it looks instead of inturpreting, what your eyes actually see when you're looking at the photograph. I hope that makes sence. Anyway, keep drawing, thats the best advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits, I really appreciate them. (Boy, do threads get lost in this forum after a few days.. XD)

Scubasteve - Actually, I was looking in a mirror when drawing this ^^; I do agree that the eyes don't look all too real. Probably because that's where I started and it takes me a bit to shut off my brain and just draw what I see.

talmir - Thanks. And don't worry, I like crits. Really, I do!

Matt Smith - Yes. Im cursed with anime eyes. It's hard to stop making them after you learn to do them. -.- I'm trying though.

I'll work on the shading a bit more, but just a bit. I think I'd rather begin a new one and try some new stuff I've learned from Drawing On the Right Side of The Brain. Great book, btw.

I'll post a new one soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.