The Truth is all one needs...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool The Truth is all one needs...

Sadly, I missed this subthread while poking around, so I am moving some art here. ADVICE FROM ANYONE! I have worked hard to become more masterful at pencil/graphite, but I have no solid basis of advice from which to go from there. I admit, I am a little hesitant to look for work at my level, I just want to know where I need to get and how close I am to professional quality. Moving here simply because my other post has recieved one reply in 150 some views! Bleh!
    Whew!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you're developing a good grasp of values, and a nice rendering style. You probably know what I'm going to say (it's the mantra here), anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. I also am not feeling the hard edged black ones (3rd 4th and 5th). They really lack edge control. By that I mean that hard, fast turning edges look the same as (what should be) softer more gently turning edges. You're much more successful at capturing this in the more carefully rendered pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aye, my anatomy needs some polishing, I get caught up in the rendering before I nail down the actual outline of the drawing. I can't really describe why.
    The black-and-white pics were simply to show extreme contrast. But I see what yer saying defintely. I'll update here in a couple of days to show some improvement. But I'm going to scan in some pics of color rendering. Nothing worth looking at, trust me. Just some simple pics done in like 10 minutes or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Inspector Lee that you need to work on the Anatomy issues. Focusing on that, and learning to work with larger blocked in shapes before doing the fine rendering will help you immensly.

Your tone control is excellent. Usually, I see things progress the other way around, where the artist first focuses on line and then fails at tone/shadow/light.

I don't think you are that far off from really doing some kick-ass pieces if you work and pay attention to what you are doing.

You can find some excelent art books here for free: Loomis Books Thread. I strongly suggest you nab all of them and go through them. they'll help!

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, so the focus will be on anatomy. I'm glad to have this reinforced, it is something I need to work on. From a professional perspective, how far off is my shading? Crap, I'm young, I have time to work on it lol.
    I need desperately to work in color though
    Any suggestions where to see good examples?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of good places to start for seeing how colour is used are below. Also, the Loomis books have a lot on colour how to's, so you will want to go through them as well.

These are artists' galleries, not to be confused with "art sites". I would suggest making a file on your computer and start storing pieces that really strike you / that you like and reference them frequently. Do the same thing with photos. And always, always use reference!

http://www.donatoart.com
    http://www.toddlockwood.com
    http://www.mcotie.com

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great links to some very nice examples
    By the way O, your work is very good. Something I should aspire towards in terms of proportion eh? lol
    This will be a new undertaking for me, this attempt at color. I will update here within the next few weeks to show my beginnings. Again advice is always welcome, but keep an eye out for new color pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just wanted to mention that studying anatomy is just part of the puzzle. I think you can help your work to draw things with thier volume and shape in mind more. Basic drawing kind of stuff to really punch the idea that whatever you are drawing is in a 3d like space.
    Doing color work is tough, and you can help yourself by checking out some books on painting and color theory in the library, reading them, seeing what you like about the techniques and theories they talk about, and trying everything you can to see what works for you. Even if your drawing techniques are not quite up to the level of the game artists yet, knowing how colors work, how to create good contrast, how to make a good looking shadow, ect... will be an asset to your knowledge. It is cool stuff, good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Checked out some books today. We will see what I can create...

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, man. I especially like the graphic art look of the harder black and white pieces. They draw towards a reduction print look. I'd be curious as to what would happen if you stylize even more. You got a good personal style going here too.

"When George is hanged, Harris will be the worst packer in this world..."

home

the NEW sketchbook

blogspot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet! Thanks Jacob! You know, I thought this thread had died away! Haha, I forgot all about it until just now. The scanner was low quality, so I didn't use a very high res. It's a disappointment, but oh well. To anyone who digs this thread, just head to my sketchbook, if that's cool. Plenty of work there for you to rip or dig!

He who asks is a fool for five minutes,
    but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Starting over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with those who posted that anatomy is the key. The shading is something that's of less importance than proportion, understanding the structure of the body. While your tones are sensitive and nice in your pencil drawings, your figures are fairly wooden, and lack dynamism.

The first one with the diagonal composition is odd - there doesn't seem to be any reason to place him that way. There are also too many figures that seem like you're avoiding drawing feet by cutting them off at the shins or making them stand in water. Overall too, your proportions are off - you're not giving your figures enough torso. Their legs seem to sprout from their abdomens and they probably aren't wide enough in general, in the torso area. The last drawing (the one that has feet) has the best proportion to it.

One more thing - I'd think carefully about the poses your figures are in. Whether frontally or in profile, they're really static because you're making them too symmetrical. You need to look at shifting their weight to one side, or making one arm do something different - since they look like warriors, you need to convey more strength and dynamism in them than they have now.

My advice is you should really stop with the shading and details until your understanding of the larger shapes of the body and the way they work together is as developed as your understanding of tones. Those anatomical mistakes are detracting hugely from your current efforts. Good luck to you...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya, some real nice shading man, almost looks like airbrush... I agree with the anatomy crit. also might want to go darker, er... more value range. Develop those pen and inks... those blacks are nice, Mignola like. Draw every day man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

great work ,, its very cool ,, now i can see what uou told me ,,
    congratulations,, post more ,, for we can see,, by

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.