Thanks

Glasses and drawing

Hi, please dont laugh. Who of you is wearing glasses? Do you think it handycaps you in drawing? I have glasses with -3.5/-3.75 Diop. and -0.5 Zyl. and I think it hinders me to notice the correct forms in lifedrawings. Maybe (hopefully) I am wrgon so please tell me what you think about it.
    PS: I know my english sucks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    i wear glasses all the time(except for bed) and i don't think they hinder me much from creating correct pieces of art.mine are (i think) about -5 and -6.
    it's good i'm wearing glasses or i wouldn't see my own pencil lines
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I wore glasses through much of my formative years and well into the time that I was learning to draw. I have a severe astygmatism in both eyes and I never found any trouble when drawing.
    As Lord Cardigan said to the Light Brigade, "Just canter down the valley toward Balaklava, fellows. Nothing to worry about." -W.E.B. Griffin

Thanks
    Maybe its just imagination, but I have to think all the time of it while drawing. It disturbs my Konzentration. I know that my drawing skill is not very high, but the fact that Im thinking about how drawing would feel without glasses really hinders me. Its good that you guys have no problems with it. Maybe Ive to change my way of thinking.:-)

Thanks
    I often wear glasses too. Wearing contacts make me see details a lot more but I'm fine with specs. One thing that is great to do when you have a gopher vision like me is to remove your glasses when painting and doing colour studies. Since everythin is so damn blurry you don't focus on detail but get bombarded with colour information.

Thanks
    ...that's CRRRRAAAAAZZZYYY... because when I draw... I BLURR my eyes... it helps me judge proportion better!!!... and sometimes I find, when I close one eye it benefits me also!!... this is because it flattens perspective, allowing objects to appear 2-D, exactly the same way as they appear on a piece of paper!!!!....

ahhh the science of drawing!!!...

Thanks
    I've never had glasses. But if I had to draw while I'm wearing simple glasses(you know, 0 diopt. just simple glass you can lok through) it wouldn't bother me. For you drawing with glasses is the same feeling as drawing withou glasses for me. We both clearly see what we are drawing.
    I think you have to improve your skills. Not like I would be really good, I'm a n00b but I'm sure that glasses don't matter too much.

Thanks
    I've only needed glasses since I was about 21, and my vision is fine out to about 6 feet or so. My prescription is mild (I think -1.75 or something). Like others have mentioned, I've taken to removing my glasses during life drawing for the begining steps. I can see my paper just fine, but am forced to see the model in less detail and can concentrate on values more (usually, I squint to blur everything...my vision isn't nearly so bad that it's the same without glasses, but it does help).

Doesn't really help those of you who can't see at all without them, but I thought I'd chime in anyways.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Are your glasses anti-glare Pogo? That may sound like a silly question but...

I first had to get glasses in my late 20's and I got anti-glare, could draw with them (and without actually), drive, everything , no problem. Then I lost them on a trip and had to get new ones out in the middle of nowhere.

These new glasses did not have anti-glare... for me, personally anti-glare is so much, without them I feel like I'm drunk and trying to walk a tightrope. (maybe the script is wrong also).

I found my old glasses and was able to compare them. Indeed for me, the anti glare makes all the difference in the world... of course is all up to the individual.
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Hmm, I dont know what anti-glare is, maybe you mean anti-mirroring how its called in germany? My glasses have all extras my optician offeres. The big problem with glasses over 3(?) is that your view get disorted near to the border. This is demotivating me in trying to improve my skill. The biggest problem seems to be lifedrawing. And you are right with the bluriness. It can be nice sometimes but you dont need glasses to make you view blurry. ^^
    I know I just have to draw etc. and I will. I was just interessted to hear you opinions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogopuschel
    The big problem with glasses over 3(?) is that your view get disorted near to the border. This is demotivating me in trying to improve my skill. The biggest problem seems to be lifedrawing.
    I've never had glasses but try to turn your head...so you don't have to look close the edge of the lense

Thanks
    i have pretty terrible vision. i don't remember my prescription offhand, but everything goes blurry after about 12". i've been drawing for most of my life, and have worn glasses nearly as long. i've switched between glasses, contacts, back to glasses... i've changed lens types, coatings, frame shapes & sizes more times than i care to count.

none of this has ever affected my drawing, that i've been aware of. the most trouble my glasses give me when i'm drawing is when they try to slide off my face if i haven't tightened them in awhile

personally i don't think your glasses are to blame. it's a long road of persistence and practice to train your eye to recognize shape and form correctly. i know i'm still working on it...

Thanks
    I think you are right. I will stop thinking about my glasses!

Thanks
    I've been wearing glasses since I was around ten I think, don't remember my perscription (it involves cylinders as well.)
    Never bothered me while drawing, sketching, painting or whatever unless I have to do it at some strange angle where they might slip off.
    Even their usual dirty condition does'nt bother me as much as it bothers other people

Thanks
    I've been wearing glasses since I was 6.

So its been 20 years since I understood what WITH NVIDIA and WITHOUT NVIDIA means. LOL
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Just look at the self portraits of the (not necessarily old) masters you look up to. I believe it was Monet, who was said to be nearly blind in his older years. Look at what those guys achieved and you'll recognize that glasses are no handicap, and when they are, they might even give you that personal style no one else has.

Jj.

Thanks
    One Advantage to the "with Nvidia/without Nvidia" problem for wearing glasses was when everyone else in class have to step back and squint to get tones and shapes...I just had to remove my glasses
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

A very special place, grammatically speaking...
    Thanks
    Many of you seem entirely unaffected by your need for glasses.

Grrrrrrr.

I have, in addition to the need for glasses some....eye thing. the doctor called me an "alternator". problem is, while most alternators see pretty well, they just shut down whatever eye they're not using, I cannot do that. this results in double vision on a permanent basis. I often run into walls that I either didn't see or thought were somewhere else. This, needless to say, severely affects my ability to draw well. Often I accidentally miss the paper without realizing it. (I have once gotten in trouble at school for drawing on a desk, by mistake.) In most cases this is all fixable, if caught early on. Problem is, Ity's too late. Surgury would be cosmetic, and they say I'm too old for therapy. Oh well. Maybe if I end up a famous artist they will laminate that desk.
    Tell me, do you think I exist, or am I a figment of my own imagination?

Thanks
    Got glasses since 3rd grade... I don't think it affects it in any particular way.

Jawfish: Hah yeah its a great trick isn't it?

-toasty

Thanks
    I got glasses late 2004 because my far vision or whatever-you-call-it sucks, but I never ever wear them except sometimes at school 'cause all the girls say I look good in them

Thanks
    I've worn glasses for ages. I know artists who are close to being legally blind. You just have to deal with stuff like that. There are guys born without hands who are artists. Life is very far from perfect.

Thanks
    glasses/contacts here. i wear either depending on my mood, and what i'm wearing that day and also how fussy/paranoid i am [fussy to put in contacts in the morning, or paranoid about getting eye cancer or something]. also i h8 having bloodshot eyes from dry contacts.

but to answer the question, glasses can be an impediment when drawing in a sketchbook, etc because the frames get in the way.

at work, where there are artists and programmers aplenty, there are varying degrees of blindness. one guy has strangely shaped corneas or something, so that he cannot wear glasses or not-rigid contacts. i'm not sure. but he doesn't drive for that reason

~ l

Thanks
    ive worn glasses since the age of 6, and been drawing since before that...so ya, been a while =)
    i dont think i could think of not wearing them, theyre kinda part of me now. the doctor said i would b a great canidate for lasic eye surgery...i thought about it, took off my glasses, looked in the mirror. and told him no thanks..

glasses for evah!

-------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Glasses get the girls.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    yup

Thanks
    If you are near sighted, then you are in luck. When you remove your glasses, you see the subject the way the artist who has good eyesight should be viewing his subject most of the time till he/she focuses on the finish. The artist should be squinting at the subject to keep it out of focus most of the time, not in focus.

In fact, the way a painting or good drawing should be done, and this is really easy when drawing from a subject. FOcus on the focal point, look at the peripheral areas staring at the focus, how do you see them. That is the way the end product should look, and the focus should be created as you near completion, not from the very start. The big picture should be "out of focus". Then tighten up to the focal point.

The rest is up your alley I hope.

Its all good. Just dont competely go blind. I cant help you much with that one

Ron

Thanks
    most artists' vision slowly deteriorates over time due to always using eye muscles.. could it be a sign of them getting better as artists?