Industrial design Or illustration?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Industrial design Or illustration?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Industrial design Or illustration?

Hey guys! I accidently posted this in the lounge area.. so im going to make a new thread here. Well, I am currently 17 years old, a senior in high school. I am of course going to go to community college first to buff up my skills and yadayadayada. But, what do you guys think? do you think Industrial design would be better for gaming, or illustration? I have asked many people, and they have said that Industrial design is better and that illustration majors usually regret taking that major! (Dont flame me! That's what i heard!!! ) But i think the key reason they think i should take industrial design is because i live really close to art center, the home of industrial design!!! *CONFUSED* god i need help let me know what you guys think!~

Sorry if this topic has been posted before >_<

ahh i forgot to mention that i love both drawing characters and vehicles.. and i think im almost at the same lvl for both of them! but that's just my opinion =P

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regradless of what your major is, I'd just take electives in the other field. If you decide to go into ID and find that you love it then great, but if it doesn't suit you then switch over to Illustration. Just keep in mind that both fields teach drawing, drawing and then lots more drawing, albeit slightly differently. Either major is fine but it's got to be because you enjoy more than the other; just remember to take the electives (and possibly some film classes) in the other department.

Right now most art schools aren't set up to take on this huge Entertainment/ gaming/ conceptual design curriculum. Anyone seriously thinking about doing it almost has to set up their own track and dabble in ID, Illustration, and Animation. Toss in some sculpture classes, liberal arts, your core studio classes and you're pulling a full load anywhere.

if you're thinking about doing the community college route, make sure that they can transfer over to the eventual degree seeking institution. No use in wasting time & money to take a class that doesn't transfer in.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    Thanks, i find what you have said really true.. im all new to this system! and ya! thanks for your insight on things! it really helps me clear things up!!! thank you so much storyboard dave!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    Hey!
    Thanks, i find what you have said really true.. im all new to this system! and ya! thanks for your insight on things! it really helps me clear things up!!! thank you so much storyboard dave!!!
    No problemo. Glad to be of service.

Members who have read this thread: 2