Sketchbook: killing.people II : sep25

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

killing.people II : sep25

hi, i'm killing people.

this is my second ca.org sketchbook thread. my first is filled with broken links unfortunately, and i apologize.
    i am very proud of my drawings, so please allow me to share them with you. though i do not expect it, i am very open to any comments. on with the new.

11.28.04 work sketch - 0.5 mechanical lead on printer paper

recently, i have been very influenced by ca's very own steak-tron. check his site out here: http://www.kempart.com

Last edited by killing.people; September 25th, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LOL nice nipples O_O
    cool lines
    cool volume (light shadow)
    funny nose :----
    smooth pose

but...the best thing... i love are the lines u take to indicate the shadow and light .. all the small tiny lines u draw - inbedded into the body outlines - to make the thing volumetrical .. truly awesome

how much time u spend to complete this one ?

*pulls nipples hard*

yes yes .. patience is the key ...

Last edited by -sideshowbob-; November 29th, 2004 at 07:41 AM. Reason: no greed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya great to see you on the draw again, and a nice looking sketch, you are one of the people that gets better everyday as well, very great looking. How is your 3d Skinning developing, I see you posting on the Polycount forums now and then ? Give us more please ? haha cya !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome drawing Killing! I'm flattered dude

Great job with the hatchings, the lines going over the arm and around like a wire frame are the key to hatchings. describing the form as it were. Some of the anatomy seemed a little fishy but I couldn't put my finger on it so I did a paint-over.
    http://www.kempart.com/posts/killingover.jpg

Basically I just did all of the checks that i run through my head when I'm drawing something like this. Mainly there are some skeleton land-marks that can punch it up a little, like on the wrist and elbow of the right arm. You did a great job on the left arm elbow and wrist and those hands are solid. Also the waist looked a little ambiguous. The fold of fat and muscle that bulges at the waist usually hooks onto or hangs over the pelvic protrusion (really exaggerated in greek/roman sculpture). [an' I realize it's a work sketch] Landmarks vary with body types, so my suggestions are also not always evident on all figures (muscle dudes, for instance, have muscles that wrap over land-marks)

That neck looks great tho, really looks like an old dude's flabby chin stretched around

I'm not sure I've mentioned it before but I owe you some thanks. When I first found CA I amazingly stumbled into your thread, Rusty's and Lukias'. Man I was floored! Those guys are good but you're right up there with them. You had this one page of heads in a crowd that changed with fish-eye perspective! man that was cool. My point is you guys lit a fire under my ass, I was amazed at how much awesome stuff could be in just a sketchbook (all SB's I'd seen in real-life had been bla...) I've always been interested in this stuff but It was great to see awesome sketchbooks with similar/bizarre content. So once again, thank-you Killing your old SB will be sorely missed - luckily we've got this one

--> does it say patience because it took forever? hatching is a bitch

Last edited by steak-tron; November 29th, 2004 at 03:56 PM.
    "I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im very glad you posted this drawing, and started a new thread. I love your work as well, cant wait for more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You won't believe me but the chest reminds me of a Figure Drawing Model in College. Ugg.

Nice Techique.

-JtJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    11.30.04 wip horror concept - 0.5 mechanical lead on printer paper

this concept is an assignment for a character design class. we are to create a "bump in the night". the baby's head and torso was first sketched out last friday, the 26th, in class. i taped another sheet of paper on and worked out something for the legs sunday, the 28th, at work. i finished working out some issues and began rendering it tonight (29th/30th).

JOSHUATHEJAMES
    haha, that's nasty! and thanks for the comment, i'm a fan of your work - your linework is very fun.

Burning Eyes
    hello, and thank you.

steak-tron
    thank you very much for taking the time to create a paintover and throw me some tips man, that is badass. i am pleased you picked out some of my weak areas, they are all but blind to me! i kind'a know of landmarking the body, i do not pay much attention to it when i draw, however i can see its value. i will be watching for the landmarks you've mentioned as well as discovering landmarks of my own on figures and bring this to the front of my mind for future use - excellent, thanks!

patience -- i have been trying to slow down. i looked up the definition of the word in hopes to better understand it. i wrote the word down because i was amused by a definition of the word. it is a human quality that i had always envied due to my hatred of both my impatience and the impatience of others. but after looking it up, having patience also showed a bad side.

"Synonyms: patience, long-suffering, resignation, forbearance
    These nouns denote the capacity to endure hardship, difficulty, or inconvenience without complaint. Patience emphasizes calmness, self-control, and the willingness or ability to tolerate delay: "Our patience will achieve more than our force" - Edmund Burke"

there is a quote that i like that goes something like this:
    "control your appetites my dears, and you've concured human nature"

a half wishes control and order, while the other wants explosive mayhem

Jamaludin hello,
    i am always creating something, i'll be sure to share my 3d work as i create it. i have felt rather burnt out and spread thin the last 6 months, i am taking it easy lately.

-sideshowbob-
    i spent a good 4 hours on it i'd guess (at work! - shh!). it was on and off. i'm really slow compared to most and i am okay with that, there is no real hurry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    11.30.04 digital sketch - wacom : photoshop cs

she looks sad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New stuff looks great, specially love that pencil work. I need to have more patience when doing my "art". I hate patience! Anyways keep it up mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow really nice work

keep this inspiration daily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dang

holy %$#@! That baby is creepy. I can only look at it for a few moments before my body literally rejects it. When a sketch can do that to me that's .....moving for lack of a better word to describe fear and revulsion and being impressed.

good job,

obi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very Cool on those last two!

The baby pic is especially nice, the hands are beautifully rendered, those fleshy fingers leap off the page. Nice moody pic on the ps paint too.

That definition is interesting, it seems that allot of what it describes are qualities artists must have. We have to suspend instant gratification and see goals and abilities achieved over periods of time slower than other activities, as well as endure endless bad drawings to resolve errors through trial (but not without complaint ) I think patience is a virtue, but like humility is devastating in large doses. It's good to be patient but not resigningly so, the more I try to describe my process or just analyze it I come back to the whole thing being a balancing act. For myself, I easily slow down too much. I have to force myself to keep moving on to the next thing, consciously working faster has produced some successful drawings... and some shitty ones. It's common for something to be over-rendered to where everything done in the beginning is completely done away with.

That's getting a little ahead. My point was that if you don't have some impatience or ambition you will never (in my experience) get mad enough to over-come your weakness. On the other side of the coin, many throw down the pencil from a small attention span. It's also not true that any of us do this to enjoy "long-suffering, resignation and forbearance".

If we talk about how this applies to people that's a different matter altogether

Your quote sums it up beautifully
    --

a half wishes control and order, while the other wants explosive mayhem

--
    I hate to sound like a senator when I say everything has pros and cons but the ability to weight them soundly can make great results.

sorry I wrote you an essay. Cheers dude!

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    really cool ones !

i like all of them, tho the last portreit...the red in the bg and on the shoulder, it throws the colors of, i think it would look better if you had some sort of yellow tone instead of the red one, BUT im totally in love with the beautifull vibrant yellow color you have around her eyes !

i like the first pic you posted, but it maybe would look better if the contrast was higher, forcing the bright areas to be truly bright..

dont stop posting, you should draw more and post more, i like em alot !

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that baby is freeking me out!!!!
    good stuff.. i like how you are rendering it out...
    i have seen some drawings where 2 or more things are combined to form one... but they dont seem to fit because the tones dont match. (i think i have a problem with tones) But not yours, Yours looks SWEET!
    stay with the goodness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    12.1.04 digital sketch - wacom : photoshop cs

since i had first seen them, i have always been intrigued by Bengal's more fun and erotic esthetics in her beautiful artwork. heh i can easily sympathise with Prometheus|ANJ's obsession with panties, both are very gifted artists.
    i have problems with anatomy, especially with the female. it definately has my attention. although my lack of experience and knowledge of female anatomy crippled my attempt, i do like the end result of this sketch. she does look a little trans, or guyish ... she also has this illegally-young look to her. areas that suggest otherwise gives the figure a midegeted look. heh

DreadRok hello,
    there are tons of little tricks to combine two concepts. something that you mention is a very important one imo, being to keep a consistant style. this among other things will help harmonize two different elements. creature designs are a fun balance. thanks for the comment, man.

hurricane hello,
    thanks for the great input. i agree with your comment about the contrast on the first guy. i kinda like the red in the portriat piece, i can see where you are comming from however. i'll post when i can, thanks.

steak-tron
    i totally agree - it's all a balance, constant changing.

obi_e hello,
    aah cool, hearing your reaction makes me smile - it was what i had hoped for. my thinking in this creature was to take something i personally was afraid of (deformed babies) and use elements of widely common and natural fears (centipedes) to sort of pursuade the viewer in a way. thanks for your comment.

arghmisfit hello,
    no promises

Burning Eyes hello,
    i have to be in the mood to be patient - haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit man, that last digital sketch blows me away! Good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn dude! why r u so good?

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey killing, incredible work
    I really dig the last digital sketech

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    12.1.04 wip2 horror concept - 0.5 mechanical lead on printer paper

update on this freak. i rendered more of the lower half. after looking at my syllabus closer, the assignment is due next week. hey, that works out nicely - i'm ahead and on schedule.

12.1.04 horror actions - 0.5 mechanical lead on printer paper

these action poses are a part of the assignment as well.

RAMÓN, dadamafia, haiku - thanks for your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KILLERRRRRRRRRRRRRR, Great to see you back here once more! Great work Bro!!! That creepy kid is Super!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    xiataptara.com
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good man them action poses are sweet.. Tellin you one thing.... I wouldnt want one of those in my dream.. I could see him in a dream like really scary... Like when I was sick when i was like 7 i had a nightmare where i was in my room and there was like a whole bunch of scary shit, and i thought it was real omg i still to this day remember that nightmare... He would scare the shit out of me if it was one of those your so sure that its real dreams. HAHA I ramble... Keep it up, cant wait for the finished..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, that baby is dope. very cool and scary. keep posting dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    12.3.04 wip head model "bo redway" - 3dsmax7
    (click img to enlarge)

i hope this doesn't upset anyone. but i'm just going to post my 3d stuff in here as well so people don't think i am dead; the beauty of a digital sketchbook, eh? i want to one day become a modeller/texture artist for a game company.
    i named these strips of mesh bo redway. bo redway is the name of a character i wrote into a story i created in highschool. hehe, i liked them, but my stories sucked, they had no purpose, they were just detailed and stylish worded scenarios with no reason or meaning, they were just interesting. having meaningful purpose is difficult.

flex mathews
    i should be coloring the baby soon, if i am successful, it should amplify the creepiness.

Burning Eyes
    what happened in your nightmare?

xia
    thanks my friend.

here is a nice highpoly model tutorial created by polycount's Daz:
    http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/hi_poly_tut.htm

Daz has just recently gotten into highpoly modelling. he is a very talented game artist. Daz's site.

Last edited by killing.people; December 5th, 2004 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh sweet 3d..

pay little more attention to edge loops..
    the flow of form if u know what i mean.
    get rythm in that mesh

thought its well on its way

keep it up

cheers,
    wi2

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your bump in he night. His teddy is something else.

You stilll at aipx?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kp, your work always tickles my groin. great to see you posting work again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. cool stuffs. I dont recall watching you very often, but i sure as hell should now. that horror stuff is on spot! now i'm afraid of the dark haha. keep it up man!

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool killing !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn howd i miss this thread? sweet stuff killing. that centipede kid scares me. bu in a good way. but seriously im gonna have nightmares

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

questions

|NTeRN, liam.c, obid619, malicious, nick, wi_2 - thanks for dropping by guys. nice to see you again mal and nick.

nick: i am still at aipx. i am scheduled to graduate winter of 2005. finacial and academic problems are making my course longer than it should, i am having "a conlict with time". i am tired

Quote Originally Posted by DreadRok
    nice work brutha!!!

in your reply to my post...u said u had some tricks for character concept stuff... would you mind sharing some with me? cuz your centipede baby is outtacontrol.. it looks really nice, not nice like cute and say thank you nice,,, but clean and believable nice ;P

also if you could give me some tips or anything on your crosshatching method that would be awsome too because i really like your rendering on that baby too... I cant seem to get rendering right..
    but thanks man.. you are the guy !

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html

ahh damn, that is a question isn't it..

tricks
    these "tricks" i was talking about are not necesary, but i feel they do add to a concept. it is all up to you as a designing artist. i am no intellect on this, i haven't even clarified much personal thought on the topic. it's rather extensive, and i may not answer with what you are looking for, nor do i really want to type a buch of crap up. ;P maybe i can just give you an idea of where i am so you know what type of things i am refering to better. there are lots of things to be aware of and i say this because i keep finding more, the more i think about what i am doing and actively play with. what i mean by actively playing is pushing myself to be creative in the design process by not relying on the same tricks i always rely on.
    the list goes on, i am sure there are billions of things i have never thought to incorporate into my concepts. shit, i am rather constrictive with my subject material if you ask me. but i digress.

such a delicate topic..

a concept like this centipede baby i have been working on, i combining two different subjects. something to be aware of is the flow of the two concepts. a large problem people have when combining two elements to create a new, is they do not mix their ingredients well. the transition from elements should be gradual and appear natural. a large problem i see with something like this is an artist will create something very abrupt, unless it is the effect you desire, it kills the believability of your concepts.

be aware that when i am refering to subjects, i am not always refering to the outside of a creature. if you want something that looks unique, you have to think uniquely as a designer. think deeper than what you can see.

also be aware that when i say elements, i do not necesarily mean subjects (a baby and a centipede). like i mentioned before, it becomes a delicate balance when you are trying to achieve a certain mix of elements.

if those subjects are not transitioning the best, or are very abrupt, you have other tools to meld the two better, like we i had mentioned earlier: the style used, such as my shading and use of line. it helps unify the two concepts. you can even mix these styles. imagine the bottom half stippled, and the top cross-hatched. depending on your desire, you can transition these qualities differently - apbuptly, 1/4 center area transition, incorporate music, water, a transition from head to toe, a random mix, the face of jesus, denote status or textural qualities of surfaces, etc, etc.
    this is what i mean by being creative and just being artsy. i just sued the same rendering technique. i mean, you don't have to do anything whacky, but if it sounds interesting to you, you are going to try it. and so you have your subject elements and style chosen. now imagine adding in the playful mix of contrast, focus, color, and so on. you guide the directions you take concepts by your ideal results. you would take certain steps if you were going for a turtle-parrot. is it a parrot disguised as a turtle? (wearing a turtle shell) is it a radioactive combination of two? or genetic splicing of genes? is it supposed to look mircowaved or majestic? .. etc, etc.

an artist that does this mixing of elements very nicely is conceptart's very own rubygenesis. check her minotaur and centaurs out man, they are hot shit. love her little birds too .. heh. she has a good understanding of horses enough to where she can incorporate nice transitions in anatomy, not just two symbolized silouettes.

other tricks such as using common connotative properties of subjects. an owl is wise, a fox is sneaky. be aware of your personal relationship with subjects and use other elements to communicate your feelings toward that specific subject. take for example girls and the color green. when green is used in a skin tone it makes it sickly, almost rotted. this is a common understanding. if you balance this element with a naked women licking her lips, the artist is trying to communicate something to their aduience.
    basic shapes have visual properties. such as a triangle is much more agressive. a square is solid and strong. a circle is youthful and soft. these can also be used with many other things. some are more successful than others, so i suppose that is why i chose the word "tricks".

hope half that made sense.

rendering style
    well, it is hatching is all. light to dark. the pressure applied, the lead type (HB, 2H, 4H, etc) and the distance of hatching. i don't like to cross my lines much, my style of rendering tends to stay in the same direction. i like to keep my lines as parrallel as possible to make them look cleaner. it takes a lot more concentration, but i have chosen to flow across the form with my rendering to better discribe it. rather than following the line, i juxtapose the two so they push the form more. for example, the silouetted contour may be defineing the form vertically. rather than using the textural flow of my rendering to further define the verticle aspects of my form, i may choose to shade horizontally with the intent to better define more of the form by contrasting the two. i like the way it looks, take a look at how boldly steak-tron uses his hatching.

hope my rambling was in some way helpful to you.

Last edited by killing.people; December 19th, 2004 at 01:09 AM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5