Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Impressions? Am I the only one who's played this yet? Game of the Year? I loved it, what do you think?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great Stuff, onto MGS4!

Thanks
    I'm going to deticate my X-mas vacation to this game...haven't picked it up yet.

Can't wait...

-Joshua James

Thanks
    this is from the penny arcade:

If you want to know what the game is like but you don’t want to buy it, here’s what you do. Go out into your backyard and lay down in the grass for fifteen hours. Every twenty minutes have a friend come out and step on your balls. That will give you a pretty good idea of what MGS 3 is like.

Thanks
    agree with what benzo posted.

it's a lot of hurry up and wait... . . . .

and a lot of unnecessary little details. like getting wounded, then having to clean the wound and disenfect the wound, then bandage the wound. it sounds cool but it's not

Thanks
    but it gives you the idea that this kinda stuff is just a pain in the ass in "real life". really, doing tactical espionage missions will scare the shit out of you. your heart will be pounding so hard every minute, that you have no future and you will die. That is why they usually pick psychos and people who have "no fear of death" to do such things.

dude, Hideo Kojima intended the game to be realistic.
    he also intended it to be as much fun as possible.
    from what i've heard and read. it seems like a good game.
    i wonder if they will make a port for the PC. like they did with the rest of the MGS games. i can't wait for the PC version.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    I haven't played the game, so I really can't judge it, just thought that was pretty funny. I'm still trying to get myself to play the rest of MGS2 now that I am Raiden. I just watched a half hour long cinema for Snake Eater and it is badass.

I think I would rather just watch the cinemas and fight the bosses. All that sneaking around doesn't appeal to me anymore. I personally don't have the patience for it, and I don't like to force myself to play a game. It's just a matter of taste.

Thanks
    I'm playing MGS3 at the moment.

It's AMAZING!!!

Best of the whole series, you have to play it to believe it.

darkcult

Thanks
    I beat it. The game itself is great! The story, however, man, it has it's ups and downs. I won't ruin the story for anyone too much, but your hoping for snake to be a bad ass and become, "the Man". Instead, Snake, is not as hardcore as he should be at all, after you see the entire story and think back to all the things he's been through. He basically just gets beat up and follows orders, allowing himself to be scripted through the game as others have planned. He seemed to have way more emotion and toughness in the first MGS for PS1. But again, the actual game itself, is great. Some of the bosses were wimps, but even with that said, there's some really cool bosses to fight, very well done. This one boss, completely makes up for all the weak bosses earlier on. I thought I was never gonna win.

Thanks
    haven't played yet, but have seen it.

chris, i'm thinking they made him more of an automaton bc this was before MGS which might mean he was more of a regular soldier in this one rather than a totally crazy-go-nuts operative

Thanks
    I have yet to play this game either. I want to though. I was under the impression, however, that you're not playing as the same Solid Snake, like in all the other games, but instead his dad. Maybe that was just an early version. Care to enlighten me?

Thanks
    MGS 3 is unbelievable! I beat it for the third time yesterday. The story is the best in the MGS series so far. Despite what Chris said, I think in this game the main character big.. umm.. er... Snake is trying to figure himself out as well as what it means to him to be a soilder and to be patriotic. After seeing it all come together in the end, really ties in well with the whole game. One of the best endings in a game period.

-tiny

Thanks
    tinyhands - Yeah, Snake was trying to figure himself out, like you say. I guess what really gets me is that one scene, I won't ruin it, but the one where he goes through that one dramatic episode of pain. I was hoping that after that moment, he would kind of loose it a bit, like anyone would after such a loss, and make a 'grand' come back with a vengance. But thats just me, all in all, it was a good game. And there were a few holes in the story that didn't sit right with me. I think that the battles were more exciting than the first MGS on PS1, but some of the way the story that was in MGS 1 was better in a few ways, in my opinion. Overall great stuff. For all that hasn't played this yet, play that sheeeeeeiiit! Come ooon! I want to say so much about it, but I don't want to ruin it!

Thanks
    im playing it right now, about 12 hours in. and well, its AWSOME . Ocelot is actually pretty cool as youngster. ive heard sooo much about the end being great, ill have to post again when i beat it to put my 2 cents in.

Thanks
    Funnily enough, "eating snake" is an Army Slang in Singapore for "Slacking Off"
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    i beat it
    definately one of my favorite games, along side ZOE 2 (Hideo Kojima is genius). i would give it a perfect score, except the camera pissed me off sometimes. i think it is the most well balanced of the three in terms of cutscenes and gameplay.

Thanks
    Im a huge MGS fan..and this one is resonating with much more than mgs2. a couple things ive found annoying. teh camera.....in certain areas..you only get the side/fixed camera angle ...when your going forward you want to see whats ahead of you..(guards). but all you get is this overhead camera angle. so you have to switch to 1st person to see whats coming up. pretty annoying.....i guess this has always been the case...but for the first time(open environments) i feel it hurts the gameplay/flow.

also..is it just me or is sneaking up and grabbing someone too hard? ive found that if you sneak up ..then run at them and grab them they dont have time to contact HQ. BUT i like the idea of being able to get right behind someone and they dont know you're there. Its like no matter how sneaky ou are..if you come within 2 ft of a guard they sense you.

it kinda sucks..i always try to do a level through stealth...but usually get caught..so i end up using brute strength. i feel like its a bit to hard to just play through with stealth. maybe its made for people who know the level layout like the back of their hand...but i dont have time learn it that well....i just want to play it once..the way the designers had intended.

anybody out there know what im talking about?

anyhoo. great game so far..Im on THE END right now....kinda exhausting...but well see. much respect to the MGS crew for keeping the series fresh and solid.

ty
    Last edited by tyboogie; January 1st, 2005 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    "Its like no matter how sneaky ou are..if you come within 2 ft of a guard they sense you."

I had the same problem until I figured out stalking. Walk using the d-pad and you don't make any noise. I don't know why they didn't make a bigger deal about telling you about stalking in the game, it's pretty important.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    thanks okelvin,

glad to know theres a solution to my geeky gameplay crit

heh
    ty

Thanks
    Whooo hoooo!!!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Thanks
    Tyboogie - I had the same problem with the camera and the sneaking up on guards.

Okevin - I can't believe you can do that with the D-Pad. Yeah, there's a few things in this game that I wish they made a bigger deal about.

Hahaa, my ghetto solution to sneaking around well was getting good with the Tranquilizer gun and aiming for the head. Shake the supplies outta their bodies and replenish. But even with that, because of the camera, guards would still magically see me sometimes and make a big deal no matter what I did, and I found myself having to take on armies of guards before getting unseen again. Haha, funny when a guard sees something, approaches you to see what it is, your situation becomes tense, but you put a tranquilizer right between the eyes at the last second before he yells for help. Take a deep breath with your lucky shot and move on.

Tyboogie - Have fun with The End, although you probably beat him by now. I wonder what you think when you fight The Fury, Blahahahaaa!!!

Dark Massacre - If thats the toy, I'm buying it on sight.

Thanks
    HOLY SHIZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have that toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The production version better look that good!!!!!!

I still haven't bought MGS3 But, one day....one day. ^_^ -soon.
    Argg but, there is too much work to do!

-JtJ

Thanks
    Is this the Todd Macfarlane line? just curious
    Im Arif

Thanks
    CJ, Josh, Reef- You can bet your ass its an actual toy!

Its not of the McFarlane line....McFarlane makes highly detailed miniature sculpures and not action figures. This is a 12 inch tall fully articulated and poseable action figure with accessories from Japanese Toymaker MEDICOM.

I've been collecting 12 inch GI-Joe type soldiers for over 5 years now and honestly I'd give it a miss for the price tag. The headsculpt looks good but its too...err....expensive. Its going for 17,640 Yen. That's over US$150. But if you're a hardcore fan......

I'll ask my fellow collectors for a review if you folks are really interested. Great gift to go with the game

Thanks
    chris- yea...the camera definitely makes it easy for other guards to see you that you hadnt seen. kinda frustrating...but maybe they want it to stay tense

the fury was cool...but i really loved teh sorrow...amazing...unfortunately i couldnt figure out how to beat him and had to check a strategy guide..doh!

ill be playinh through the rest this weekend

ty

Thanks
    This game is kicking mt ass. I guess I don't have much of a sneaky demeanor. At about the hundreth guy in a row who comes out to fight me they wear down my health. Getting good at the CQC stuff though.
    Paul Rhye

Thanks
    i'll get it when it comes out for PC...
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    the game is awesome in my opinion.

the games big thing is being patient, and waiting.

and with the sneaking you dont have to be that close to a guard to grab him. i think its more realistic that you cant get super close behind someone. just stalk behind him and you can get close enough.
    "This pistol is my ministry"

-The Chariot-

Thanks
    This game is fantastic. It immerses you in the situation better than almost any other game. It takes more patience than the simple mindedness of Halo fanboys and such games would like. But this game is fantastic in every aspect. Sound is well utilized, Konami pushed the PS2 graphically to it's potential. Boss fights are epic, "The End", I would say, is my favorite boss fight of all time. The story is good, save for some shakey exposition at times. It has enough plot twists to keep it exciting, but it's not in the ranks of absurdity like Sons of Liberty.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Beat the game. It got much easier when I got the hag of it. Kinda accidently killed 500 people though.
    Paul Rhye

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast