Digital Painting for beginners-INTERACTIVE TUTORIAL-

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello all,
    My aim for this thread is to finish a digital painting from sketch to completion-post the progress at each step-and describe my techniques.
    The kicker is I would like this to be an interactive tutorial, hopefully from some of you members who are Skilled at digital painting since I am fairly new to it.
    All manners of crits and comments are welcome from anatomy to colors, but i will be concentrating on the technical aspects of digital painting more for this excersize. thus hopefully not only me, but many member can get a good sense of things, the proper steps, tools to use, down to the nitty gritty (you know describing what brush setting you used etc.)
    I will be using painter 9 for this, and will be starting in the program, as I want to get to the actual painting part. My ultimate goal is to become more knowledged in the realm of digital painting.
    Hopefully this thread will help more people than just me, I welcome all participation as well.

OK enough of my ranting, Ill start posting images....I will also try to post/update as much as possible to keep this fresh. So thanks for reading....here we go!

Remember all constructive advice is welcome! all I want is to come out of this with a satisfactory experience, and a little base knowledge on how to go about some of this!

800x600 Working at 300 dpi Oh and I am also just getting used to using a wacom. so thats another learning curve!

Step one
    inital sketch. Used a felt tip art marker, size 2.5 opacity 45 or so

Step two
    fill colors. girl brownish skin creature blueish soft airbrush used

Step three
    starting some shadows. sticking with soft airbrush at very low opacties and using like a midnight blue color on a layer set to multiply

Ok Im goin to break here. this is pretty much my usual process (and pretty much where I begin to get stuck the airbrush becomes too much of a crutch), I study from Don Seegmillers book Digital character design and painting which helps a deal, but I really figured I would get some much better peer feedback on here.

-notes- Im planning on adding her holding guns so im not goin extensively into the hands as of yet.
    Im also going to keep her nude for now. I will probably add cover up items near the end.

Thanks again hope this thread works and I didnt bore anyone too much!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn man, sweet thread. Me being a begginer also, I am looking forward to the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step four
    went back and changed the BG pink was becoming annoying. added very sublt light blue highlights on the right, and same dark brown shadows on the left. also did some very minor color changes in the body gettin more of a brown in it (obviouslly) I also applied a lighting effect on the BG to give it a light source coming from the bottom right area of the pg.

again most of this was done via airbrush except for some blending done with a variant of one of the felt markers.
    I am goin to attempt to begin actual painting right now. but of course this is when stuff usually gets pretty ugly

Step five
    ok I used basically two variants in the felt tip marker section to do this. lots of hatching and sampling under colors keeping with most of the ones I had allready used...problems I encountered were the strokes were too thick even at like 3 pixels....I havent found a small stroked tool that i like yet...not sure about that......

Last edited by Dro; November 23rd, 2004 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

last one for tonight. i think.

Step 6
    Ok did the hair, used felt markers for that, and added a bit on the face, again using felt markers. Gettin kind of stuck at this point since Im noticing so much about the figure and everything, not sure where to go next. I will probably have to repaint the eyes, i havent tried the lips yet....

Trying to keep images down.....(since im doing a restart)

This is a dif. experience its basically my first REAL attempt at painting. ive done alot more cartoon oriented stuff, like my avatar, nothing attempting to go to these lengths...so advice would be much appreciated.

*edit-added

Step 7
    fixed the eyes and lips.blended the BG a bit....

man I dont want to do that all over again. but i think i might have to change the body. its really bothering me now.

oh well. i think thats it for tonight...hopefully people throw some input in here!

Last edited by Dro; November 23rd, 2004 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step 8

Lauda Mercy. Sometimes the best thing to do is ERASE. so did a small redraw and painted in the monster thingie. ill probably redo the body tom. Couldnt get away from it leaving it how it was!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

butt

Thanks for fixing that butt, it wasn't agreeing with the stomach. Acctuallly, I sort of miss the twist in the figure, maybe consider redrawing her midsection instead. Don't really know too much about digital painting, or i'd advise, but i'll keep watching this progress with interest.

Also, please draw in those fingers, i've been watching you dance around them, and it's driving me nuts!

Really appriciate that your doing this, hope you get alot out of it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dro, I have that book also, you'll notice (i think) in chapter 11; Don explains how to blend two colours together, I think that if you follow his technique then you'll have better success with the shading. As for the anatomy, if this is going to be realistic then maybe have a look for some actual refs of the female nude twisting. The twist add a certain level of dynamicism (<--?) to the subject, which i feel you are lacking now. Anyways, keep up the effort..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked the girl when she actually had hips..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for tuning in fellas.

chromatix-I will probably do a redraw of the body today, it was kinda driving me nuts last night...particularly when i went to go shower and noticed the pose was akward. god bless mirrors.
    Ill also actually tackle the hands...i was waiting to see what guns i would put there.....i am also having trouble with the wacom doing small areas and minor details....as I said im still gettin used to it.

Randal-Yes I agree on the anatomy, I will look into it, I also got a little bit of the blending last night, but im still akward as to what tools to use while doing the paint...thats probably my main struggle.

tautology-Ill try to sneak some hippage back in there.

well Ive got an ass ton of errands to do today, but hopefuly i can squeeze a redraw in....ill update it as per usual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step 8

Just wanted to show the last two steps together. Had time to squeeze in a redraw, Im thinking I should have used a variant on one of the pencil tool sto do the sketching,this maker isnt too handy dandy for tight small areas....

Step 9
    fixed hips, arms, and general pose, moved monster ADDED FINGERS kinda!....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dro, theres a bandwidth exceeded box instead of the pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, how about erasing soe stuff you don't need in photobucket or create another acount...

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.