Thanks

Nintendo DS impressions

Well, after going back and forth on purchasing a DS, I figured I would make a quick stop at a local WAL-MART at 1am to see if they even had any going for sale. To my surprise, they had 3 of them with a boat load of games, so being I was already at the place with my money in hand, I thought "why the hell not." Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all times, so what do I got to lose.

Upon arriving home, I felt a lil pain in my gut thinking I made a wrong choice and to go ahead and return it now and spend it on something else (seinfield dvd's will still be mine!). But I opened it, placed the charger in it, and plugged in Mario DS.

First of all, the DS itself is smaller then what I originally expected, but there were certain things I didn't come to expect. First of all, this sucker is one mean brick when closed, but of course this is due to the duel screens. Then, the buttons appeared to be so frikkin small, I thought I would have to use a stylus just to press them (which is tiny as well). Dispite these "flaws", I plugged in Mario DS and was hoping for one, no dead pixels, but to relive that same gaming experience I had when playing it on my N64.

Screenshots you see on gamespot, ign, or whatever make this game look ugly, and thats because they blow the screens up more then what they should be. Upon viewing the intro of princess peach giving mario a letter, it looked identical to the N64 version. Some parts even looked better, especially the characters (mario, wario, luigi, and yoshi) since added polys were given to them compared to the N64. So after the intro had played through, I was still unsure about the game since I'm dealing with a d-pad now instead of an analog joystick.

The characters still have all the moves (w/ some added) as before, but it takes a while to adjust to them or relearn them thanks to the d-pad. Not that it is god awful, but your first go at walking through a stage will be similiar to when you learned how to ride a bike. Very uneasy and shakey when you first walk through, but upon wrapping it up, you learn to adjust. The touch screen allows you to control your character, as well as the camera, but it's only time I could image using this method of moving is when I am exploring and not in need of using the other face buttons.

The speakers are great though, a huge leap compared to the GBA. Stereo sound is used greatly in Mario DS. I can hear different birds chirping from the left and right of me, I can tell where a koopa troopa is around me depending if I hear it from the left or right speaker. I never really noticed how vital sound is on a handheld portable system is until playing this game, it makes the environments that much richer and actually pulls you into it.

Overall though, I'm actually pretty happy I purchased the DS. Granted this is the first day I have had it, and I've only gotten one game, I feel like I made a worthy purchase. If Nintendo is planning to fully support this platform and produce/port a good variety of games to it, I'll be very happy. I just hope that the price for these games remain at $30.00 since previous nintendo handheld games have always been priced around 40-50.

Oh and for those wondering about the stylus, the lil plastic tip pens they give you, two of them, are pretty much useless. the wrist band doubles as a thumb pad for the touch screen, so you won't have to use an entire hand to control your stylus and have it interupt your gaming experience. For super mario DS, it was rarely used, but for the mini games that come with, it was pretty much the means of playing them. With the thumb pad, the concept of touching your screen as a button is pretty cool and doesn't pull you away from the gameplay at all.
    Last edited by Gr8t100; November 22nd, 2004 at 07:56 AM.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm happy with the little DS too.

any luck with finding random peeps in Picto-Chat? I can't wait to take it to a theatre, or airport-terminal and find people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts

Manual

DS manual PDF

Doesn't work with old GB/GBC it seems?
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I think I am going to wait and see with this one. depend on what games come out for it
    Think you got mad photoshop skills? It could win you a car @ www.hhrya.com

Thanks
    Prometheus|ANJ,

yea it's Nintendo's 'Third Pillar' so it only does GBA games singleplayer.

javajunkie80,
    It might be best to wait if none of the games are apealing to you ... all I needed was a portable Mario 64, so I'm happy and 'Feel the magic' is great too.

but the launch was very rushed, it'll take some time for the DS to get up and runnin' with great games.

I've put mine through 4 charges already, I've been playing it nonstop. Damn nice little system. 104 stars in Mario.
    It's looking like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles DS will be online, whatever it turns out to be.

Thanks
    played my friend's ds

i am sold, i want one so badly, but i can wait for a while til more interesting games come out

Thanks
    I got one, it's really amazing, and the stylus-control of Metroid is surprisingly intuitive.

My only problem is that I get a little seasick when playing either Mario or Metroid... first time that 3d games have ever made me dizzy. I still play it though, hopefuly I'll get used to it. Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks
    hmm its probably 'cos its the first time you've played 3d on such a small screen, while still moving around (even if its just slight movement from like breathing)

you'll probably get used to it. do you get like sick from crazy rollercoaster rides and such?

man, march cant come soon enough ^-^

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    are most of the games 3d?

I like side scrollers...
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonfox
    hmm its probably 'cos its the first time you've played 3d on such a small screen, while still moving around (even if its just slight movement from like breathing)
    Yeah I get carsick, and it's the same sort of feeling... I'm starting to get used to it though, I like the thing too much to stop playing it