Thanks

What is the life of a artist really like?

Hello everybody, I haven't posted here much, but have been a member/reader for a while, and just to let you guys know you guys inspire me so much with your artwork.

Anyways, I am going to introduce myself. I am 15 (16 Nov. 29) and a sophomore in high school. I am at the point of my life when I am trying to figure out what I wanna do with my life, or study in college.

First, I am a 'training bodybuilder' or whatever you guys would like to call me. I love watching my body change, and plan on competing in the near future ('05-'06 somewhere in there I would like to make my competetive debute). I plan on taking bodybuilding serious throughout my life, and would love to turn pro (naturally, I do not think steriod use is healthy, and will never touch them, or pro-hormones).

Besides that, I love art, and have been told by several of my past teachers to follow art. I have taken art since kindergarden, and taken 2 summer classes at the local college a few years back. I am now in my second year of high school, and also in my second year of high school art. (currently in drawing & painting class, which is a pre-requisit to Studio art) I already have a teacher willing to help me set up profolio's and what not to get me into, help me get into, a art college.

Ok, so I think I have explained enough about me. I have always woundered what professional artist, aspiring artist really do...? Are you able to suport yourself? Or do you usually need a second job? (oh, I forgot to mention I am thinking of getting a Personal trainer certificate after high school, which if needed I should be able to support myself if it's needed) I would really like to know about the field of art since it has always caught my eye.

Thankyou, all your guys' help is much appreciated!
    ~Rich

P.S. I am the worste speller ever, so please forgive me if my spelling was bad.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    you totally can live on art alone if your good.
    but i´m not sure how you want to be able to draw every day when your not even able to hold a pencil a couple days of the week, and that´s what i think has to happen when your really serious about "getting big"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.v.D.
    you totally can live on art alone if your good.
    but i´m not sure how you want to be able to draw every day when your not even able to hold a pencil a couple days of the week, and that´s what i think has to happen when your really serious about "getting big"
    I do not get your post. . . Do you mean sore from working out? If that is the point, yes you get sore, and yes sometimes it gets outrageous (some people love it, like me. Other's hate being sore) but I'll be the first to tell you some/most people over react on how sore they really are.

Thankyou for your input about being able to live on art though... anybody else out there that can help also?

Thanks
    Rich,

If you love art, then just go for it. Don't worry about what other people say. When it comes to art , anything goes. There is not right or wrong way to become successfull in it.

I used to have a friend who was into the same things as yourself. and in my opinion, if you live a healthy, positive lifestlye (bodybuilding) that will only help you in your art career. How you ask? well when you sell your art, your are also selling yourself. People who will love your art, will also want to love the artist who created it. And if you are some ripped , healthy, confident, it will show through in your art as well.

As for myslef, I can't sit myslef on my ass all day doing just art. I need to surf, run, swim, and lift weights also. and I find that an active and healthy lifestyle only will help you become a better artist. Unless you want to be the streotypical elitist, dark, depressed and odd starving artist. LOL!
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    I agree with Otis!

-JtJ

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by otis
    Rich,

If you love art, then just go for it. Don't worry about what other people say. When it comes to art , anything goes. There is not right or wrong way to become successfull in it.

I used to have a friend who was into the same things as yourself. and in my opinion, if you live a healthy, positive lifestlye (bodybuilding) that will only help you in your art career. How you ask? well when you sell your art, your are also selling yourself. People who will love your art, will also want to love the artist who created it. And if you are some ripped , healthy, confident, it will show through in your art as well.

As for myslef, I can't sit myslef on my ass all day doing just art. I need to surf, run, swim, and lift weights also. and I find that an active and healthy lifestyle only will help you become a better artist. Unless you want to be the streotypical elitist, dark, depressed and odd starving artist. LOL!
    Thankyou for you input. ^^

Er... Even though I really appreciate everybodies help, I think I mighta asked my question wrong or something. I was referring to more so how do artist provide for themselves. like where do all yuo sell art. How do you set yourself up so you are recognizable, and stuff like that...

Thanks
    its diff. with everyone, some work full time in the game industry as concept artists, some freelance, others im sure have their own galleries in bigger cities. it depends what you want to do, there is a market for almost all sorts of art.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    What's the life of an artist like?

Prepare to be versatile. If not, then prepare to go hungry.

One advice I gave to most friends with kids......Let your children go into music and not visual arts.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Being an artist is also a life long freakin thing. Always becoming better and always trying to be the best you can be.

But just thinking about it and reading documentaries and other things about the CG business. Concept artists are kind of left out in the big picture of things a lot of times. Mostly do to our part being a kind of small production period. (But rediculously important) Maybe be called back if the director or whoevers in charge wants to change something but it's still not full time job worth. So as other people said you gotta know a lot of stuff. Unless your a famous concept artist (and even then you'll still need to know) You'll have to be pretty darn good at the 3d aspects of it even if it's just to understand how to integrate your ideas to the 3d world. A lot of stuff and a lot of years to do this. Ain't no every other month thing with art.
    "Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    It is good to workout as an artist. Otherwise your muscles doesn't get any variations and you'll end up with different aches and pains. Workout guys! (but it can be a bit hard on working morale, after a workout you feel so pleased with yourself all u wanna do is relax, not work)
    My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com

Thanks
    I'm always huge on following one's passions. If it's bodybuilding for now, go for it and if it's art you've got to continue building that as well. Obviously you understand the regimen required for both. Both of these things require discipline and th emore you do, the better you'll get. Unfortuantely being an artist doesn't exactly pay off as immediately as developing a larger bicep or quad. Being a successful artist is also more about observation and experience. The more you see and do, the better you will as an artist.

I'm still active in many competitive sports but I've also come to the point where I know my art is my passion & moneymaker and my sports are just recreational.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    alot of crying so ive been told..

Jace

Thanks
    i'm kind of in the same position. i just realized something and my motivation just disappeared, i'm failing two of my classes at school, there's a girl that drives me crazy, and i can't seem to decide waht i really want to do when i graduate (if i'm lucky)...

but, i'm kinda getting back on top of things.
    i thought to myself that i'll just bite the bullet and go to college, get the cursed degree. get a job at a studio or just team up with my buddy who happens to be a kick ass poet/writer and make fantasy novels. OR i could move on with my guitar skillz and team up with my buddy who is an inspiring song writer and form a grunge/metal band. those two will be hard to decide becuase i'm excellent with both talents. so i have a dilemma.

so the decision will be made later in the future.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    If this is something you want to do be prepard to take critisim. It's gonna happen. learn from it. don't let something like a bad review, or anything like that stop you. Study, alot, everything you can get your hands on, from anatomy, to color, to design, everthing.

I'ts not allways easy and it don't allways happen, but ask anyone, there is no greater pride and joy than finishing piece that you put your heart into, and have it admired by people you don't even know.

Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    Prepare to be versatile. If not, then prepare to go hungry.
    THIS IS TRUE
    "gonna buy me a dimond and gem speedboat, and paint it gold" Run Ronnie Run"