Art: Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)

Welp, I doubt I would have known about Watt's Atelier if it wasn't for CA.org or my roomie Adrian. So I am indebted to you all. This school is completely amazing, and so are you artists of this forum. I was also so inspired by Pandawhipped's Watt's thread that I figured I would start my own. I also realized how much more I can tell what's wrong with my drawings this way...

Welp... I figure with the help of those Crazy Watt's teachers and all of your crits I'm bound to improve! So here goes nothing! [plunge]
    WEEK 1

Head Drawing! First drawing class if forever... and I was thrown in kicking n screaming. I got a pencil in the eye... but I recovered. Here's my first head drawing. O dear...
    Intro to tonal. We drew some skulls to begin understanding the structure that all of the facial muscles go over, etc. Mark drew the one with the red arrow.
    In anatomy of the torso we started learning the rib cage structure and pelvis. I had some fun trying to figure out the pelvis. The rt one came out pretty sweet! Then Jeff W. came over and fancied it up for me.
    Friday night drawing salon. Forget going out baby! I'm getting my draw on!
    My god... I have never been good at figure drawing. Here's the first one. Wowza... hahah I can't wait to look back at these drawings in a year. It looks like the poor girl got a mallet to the face so I gave up on that and tried to do some quick head studies to figure out how to construct a head better.
    Figure drawing. Erik gave me some great tips on this one... but alas. He was too late. Although his help there came in handy the following classes.
    Quicksketch. This class is so fun! I enjoy drawing quickly instead of spending hours on a pose. Although the 1's n 2's get pretty insane! haha wheee! My poor page got all wet that night. doh!

WEEK 2. Fight!
    I think I overstylized this guy a bit. heheh. He was fun to draw though. But man... I made his face all deformed. Whoops.
    More skulls. Plus we were introduced to the Asaro head. Mark drew that kick ass one that was arrowed.
    Today in anatomy class we were introduced to how the structures play a role into the overlying form of the body.
    I did pretty well on this guy I thought... even though I didn't even make it to his waist. I'm going slower than a quadrapalegic turtle right now.
    We got to draw this guy again in figure class. Although his head is pretty bad this time. Oh well. More crappy drawings out of my system.
    Some quicksketches. Erik drew some on here trying to show me to draw in long lines, etc to get the form in quickly.

Last edited by SpazMcFlash; March 14th, 2005 at 06:09 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WEEK 3
    I made this ladies eyes way too far forward. eesh... I've noticed I do this frequently. yikes... one day I'll fix that bad habit.
    Since that head came out scary I went home and spent time this week doing head studies from "Portraits" by Steve McCurry. I hope it helped.
    Here's one anatomy class piece from a photo... plus a bunch of quickies from pose file books and a few from memory for kicks.
    At tonights drawing salon we got to draw this lady! wow... she had a lot of jewely on. I was scared to death. So I kept looking at Mark's drawing to figure out what to do. Man... this school is so awesome and so humbling.
    kinda made her a lil too big on the page. Erik came over after class to help out some. He darkened up some of the top and explained that I needed to get my shadow areas darker so they separate from the lighted areas properly.
    More quicksketch! Mark drew the arrowed ones. I don't know if it was his inspiration... or dumb luck, but some of these came out alright.

WEEK 4
    Mustache man! This guy was pretty fun even though there's a lot wrong with it.
    In intro to tonal we did a portrait. I made his nose and mouth too low, tried to fix it, and his mouth came out all tiny and too high. hahaha he looks angry.
    Some HW for tonal class was to copy this photocopy. Second attempt came out ok I guess.
    We were introduced to the abstraction of the back today in anatomy. I spent the class trying to understand what the abstraction lines were relating to. Jeff W. drew the arrowed one. That guy is insane.
    This guys' body came out huge. haha whoops. 1 more crappy drawing out of the way.
    This guy came out a lil better. Erik helped me a ton to figure out the structure of the knee and the elbow. Sadly I didn't get to finishing these areas up since I'm so slow still.
    Quicksketch with muscle man. This got confusing since we have to try to ignore a lot of the muscle details. Erik showed me his magic and told me to loosen up my lines a bit.

Last edited by SpazMcFlash; November 20th, 2004 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WEEK 5!
    This lady had a really hard head to draw. Plus she was moving all over the place so it was hard to get my angles right. Oh man... Ben came over after class and fixed this one up a bit. I need to simplify my forms more.
    In intro to tonal we began studying the figure. Here's some layins we got to do in class. Jeff W. came over n fixed my first lady on the left, plus did a lil comp to show me how to think about laying in my piece compositionally on the page. I tried again on the right and kinda got my layin better.
    Learned a bunch about the pecs, serratus, abs, and obliques tonight. Here's some sketches. Marty came over and added some tone to the lwr right one. That was fun to watch since he has a sculptural drawing style.
    Drawing salon again. This time no warmups so we had a ton more time to fiddle around. Although it's pretty rough not to have that warmup time.
    Her poor foot got cut off. I keep drawing the figures too big on the page. One day I'll get this issue worked out... one day!
    Figure drawing. I guess she came out alright. Erik keeps catching my long legs I draw. haha one day I'll get em the right length.
    More quicksketch. I tried to loosen up a lot more for these. Erik did the arrowed ones. Those really helped me on the 5's I did after that.
    Here's a few loomis studies from the week. Adrian caught my small head habit. I'll have to work on that. These came out kinda crappy so I started just sketching from my imagination.

WEEK 6!
    Good god I can't believe it's week 6 already.
    Here's some 5's for head drawing warmup. These came out ok for 5s I guess.
    Plus the head drawing from class. His face came out weird and I gave him a miniature ear. haha whoops.
    In intro to tonal we started thinking about doing a compositionally sound figure drawing. So I fiddled with creating some shadow patterns around the figure. Jeff W. did the arrowed one. That really helped me figure out what to think about when doing these comps. Here's the larger drawing I did after that. Mark caught my long legs compared to the short torso. Kinda fixed it, but I don't think it's right still.

Wow... if anyone made it to the end of this then I appologize. You are a brave soul. Thanks a lot for looking... and CnC are more than welcome!
    I'm ready to take em... o wait... now I'm ready.

Last edited by SpazMcFlash; November 20th, 2004 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya spaz that's quite a big dump of images...I envy ya, going to Watts and all...These are nice. The values in the shadows are looking pretty good. Getting the right proportion comes with lots of practice and lots of measuring. I have trouble sometimes too with straight body parts. The proportion can look waaay off. I've tried to fix it by being really anal about measuring and I think it's worked somewhat.

Oh, one tip I can offer to keep control of how big the figure gets is to mark off the farthest point you want to the body to go. Then use those points to kinda plot out where the body parts will end up by using proportions. It's worked so far for me.

Anyways...keep at it, I guarantee that if you work hard, Watts can turn you into an incredible artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! wow.. i'm surprised ur doing so well when this is ur first time taking classes. How do u figure out where to shade? I see in some of your teacher's drawings they have alot of muscles and bones showing.. How does he figure that out? I am doing well at gestures but when it comes to long poses it scares me! I have trouble seeing where the stuff come out at me.... Does he make sure major bones show up everytime?

anyways, keep up the good work, your doing well with all the face studies : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jeff

It is nice to see what you have been up to since you moved. I saw Adrian's thread too and it looks like you are both progressing very well. Damn. I can't wait to get down there so that I too can have my very own Watt's progression thread. As far as your drawings go it looks like your rendering skills are really starting to come together. The problems I am seeing are with proportions (that is also one of my weakest areas). My humble advice would be to double and triple check your proportions before you start shading, that and, of course, lots and lots of practice (which it seems you are already doing). keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff,
    very nice stuff here, I especially like the anatomy studies and head drawings. What I think we need to work on a little is the structure. Your figure drawings and QS are heavy on the rounds and week on the structure and straights. I will show you more what I am talking about tonight in class.

keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff, I hope you keep this thread going -- I'm enjoying it a lot

--

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for your feedback and motivation. It's been a lil while since I've updated this thread. I went back to CO for thanksgiving so I missed out on some class, along with some time to update this thread.

sula - thanks for the tips. I know what you mean ab. getting proportions right. It's a real pain for me right now... but slowly my eye will become better and I'll eventually get pretty accurate with proportions. I was also told ab. marking off the page for proportions. Although I ended up screwing up the positioning of the body, etc. Erik helped me a ton with figuring out how to get the figure on the page correctly. My week 8 figure actually fit on the page how I wanted it to! hurrah!

Druie - Thank you. I went to a digital arts school years back... although I mainly did 3d work. Then worked in games a few years. Now I'm back to the basics. It's my weak point, but I enjoy it a lot more than 3d work. So here I am.
    Ab. shading. The big thing they tell us is to squint. Then the shadow patterns of the model become fairly blocky. This way you only get what part of the figure is in shadow, and what part is in the light.
    Ab. the anatomy stuff... there are a ton of various anatomy classes that cycle in and out of the schedule here. So the teachers have years of knowledge when it comes to understanding anatomy. It's incredible to see how much they know about the human body.

Mike - Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I can't wait to have you here with us as well! You'll love this place. Proportions are such a pain right now... but after a few bazillion drawings I hope I have em figured out. I'm definitely learning a lot of different techniques to check to see if the proportions are right.

Erik - You are my hero of the week. Your help on Saturday really helped me. I'll be keeping all that info in mind through all of my drawings. Do you have any tips on where to place straights in my head drawings? Or where my structure is lacking there? Thanks again for all of your help!

eerok - thanks! I'm enjoying my Watt's experience a ton as well.

alrighty... so where did I leave off... ah... here we are:

WEEK 6

Anatomy class. We worked more on the shoulder girdle and the rest of the back a bit as well. Man... this class is so helpful.

Friday night drawing salon. he came out alright. He actually fit on the page ok. So that was cool! hehe Also started playing with the composition a bit with the darks on the outside against the form.

My figure came out kinda weird. Oh well. Erik helped me a ton with some tips on getting the figure to fit on the page correctly. I got to put that info into play on my next figure class.

WEEK 7

Head drawing. Welp... I have been having trouble getting my eyes placed right. Doh! Although Jeff W came by after class and gave me some awesome tips on making sure the eyes line up right. (notice the random lines around the eyes) Holy cow... that helped a ton and that bit of info will never leave my brain now, or I'll jump naked into a pit of broken toothpics.

WEEK 8

Welp, Thanksgiving break made me miss quite a few classes. I'll have to make those up soon! aii!
    So here's my head drawing this week. I was much happier with him, plus after class Jeff W showed Adrian some awesome tips for stylizing his beard and mustache. That was cool!

In intro to tonal we're starting to go into quicksketch. So we spent the class drawing from photos to draw in the figure quickly using the abstraction.
    Jeff drew over the top rt one to show where my proportions were off.
    Mark drew the bottom 2 to show me how to get in the figure very quickly. Man... he whipped those out.

In anatomy of the torso we just drew from back photos to further refine our knowledge of the back muscles and bones. Jeff fancied up my top right one and threw in the middle one. That was a photo of a muscle woman!!! aiii!

The drawing salon was pretty rough on me. This guy looked so bad ass with all this armor going on... but I just couldn't get it right. So I gave up half way through the class and started a portrait. Now for some reason my helm looks lopsided... heh. whoops.

So for some magical reason I got my figure to fit on the page today. Plus I got a back view... so all of my back anatomy knowledge from the last few weeks came in handy! Hurray! I was pretty happy with this. Plus Erik helped me a ton to figure out where to put in straights to add more structure and stability to the pose. Thanks a ton man!

Quicksketch didn't go as well as figure class... but I got some good info from Erik as well. Although my hand was acting like a crazy monkey today so my drawings weren't working for me at all. By the end of class I just started busting in quick figures and shading stuff in. That was fun! heh
    Erik drew the arrowed ones to show where to throw in straights vs curves to give a good balance between rythme and structure.
    Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05) Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all of the input! It's all helping me a lot! Thanks gang!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work Jeff.

Applegate just looked over my shoulder at your stuff, he says you're making great progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice!

Hello man,, you have some sweet stuff going on here. Im a bit curious about watts. What´s the requirements for going to Watts and how do u solve linving issues...sorry for my bad english. Hows the "school"?

Just another question, Are u tall, alot of the croquis seem to be tall and big footed =). Else, great values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments guys.

Ivan - thanks. Tell Applegate I would have never been where I'm at if it wasn't for all his kick ass help on the weekends!

Yoonjin - Thanks. There are no requirements for getting into Watt's. Just a passion for art. As for living issues... Just find an apt complex close by. I live with a friend that I knew from the Bay area. We moved down together so it all worked out well. Other people find roomies through the school while some find each other through these forums. I think Jetpack's roomie for next year is from CA.org as well. So far the school is amazing. It's a very humbling experience being surrounded by so many amazing artists. Plus I'm learning so much every day!
    heheh... nope, I'm not tall. I'm just still having proportion issues. I've been noticing my leg issue lately and have been getting a lot of help on how to fix that.

So here comes WEEK 9!! awe right!
    I'm so sad the quarter is almost over. I'm having way too much fun in class.

I had a pretty good week. It started on the right foot with this head drawing.
    We had a cute model for the class so I was so worried about not making her look all retarded. hehe Luckely I did a decent job. Ben helped me a ton to get some of the features right... although they're still off a lil. Oh well... I'll get there.

On Tuesday I sat in on the Head/Figure/Quicksketch class. It was figure day and this is what I came up with. Her upper body came out ok... but there I go again making the legs crazy out of proportion... whoops! Mark showed me some good tips on making sure the legs are in the correct proportion for next time!

Wed Morning I sat in on Erik's Figure class. This is what I came up with! I thought I did a good job... and at least got the proportions pretty dang close. Erik noticed my legs getting a lil too long. aii! Oh well, my eye will slowly become keener, so one day I won't mess up the proportions as much.

In Intro to Tonal Jeff introduced us to head quicksketch. So for the class we drew ovals all over our page and filled them in with lil heads from varioius photo references. I went back last night and filled in the bottom left heads for kicks. This is a fun lil project! Jeff did the arrowed ones to show his quick caligraphy for these.

In anatomy of the torso class we had a model. I think these were all 5 minute poses. Marty came by and worked on the arrowed one to give me some tips on refining the form to give volume and structure to the body.
    Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)

In the drawing salon I drew my first obese woman. This worried me at first simce I've only been drawing fairly ideal or average built figures in class. hehe... it's always scary to try to draw something new, although she was a lot of fun to draw and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out; a few issues aside.

Sat figure drawing class went pretty well. Erik helped me get my left leg to be the right proportion and Ron helped me get the piece at a good darkness as well as fancy up my head some.

Quicksketch was a lot of fun tonight! It started like a rollercoaster. Then Erik came over and gave me some good feedback and gave me a good direction to head. I think these last 5's are my best yet!
    Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)Spaz's thread O-Watts - Round 2! Fight! (updated 3/14/05)

Welp... week 9 is out of the way. I sure hope week 10 turns out this well!
    Thanks for taking a look, and thank you in advance for any comments or critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some tips 4 U

Spaz:

You have come so far in the past 9 weeks! If you want to really nail proportions, do a bunch of Brague drawings (see the thread by MindCandyMan), nothing will help you more. It all comes with time and practice, I still have proportion problems and am forever correcting my corrections. It is getting better, just have to find more time to draw, and hopefully from life. You are fortunate to have access daily to life models, take advantage. If there is a Saturday life group at the school or nearby go to it, that will really punch up your abilities. If you can get a sympathetic teacher to let you into their life class, do it. The more practice you get the better.

If you can find a medical school (I went to the one at Irvine), and get permission to sketch in the cadaver dissection labs, it is a fantastic way to really learn anatomy. (Just ask, maybe get a note from a teacher or the school explaining who you are and why you want to sketch in the lab. I got in free, no problem, whenever there wasn't a big class, and sometimes when there was -- even better, I could observe the dissection demonstration!)

Get some latex surgeons gloves and if the smell is a problem, put some Vick's Vapo-Rub under your nose to cancel the smell. I kept a special book and pencils, etc. just for it because pieces of meat tend to get on things! That's the GROSS in gross anatomy! After a while it gets to be just drawing meat (which is basically what it is).

One thing which suprised me is how thick the skin is in places, and also the fat. Unfortunately most of the bodies were old people who were bedridden, so the musculature was wasted and a bit hard to see.

If you can afford to enroll in an anatomy dissecting section (they are expensive), it would be the absolute best thing you could do for your knowledge of anatomy, plus you would end up being the envy of all the students (some cute female interns?! You could do worse!) because of your drawing skills.

Now THAT'S "old master techniques!"

Best in paint,

Martín de Madrid
    Publisher
    Old Masters' Painting Techniques Newsletter
    Subscribe to the OLD MASTERS' PAINTING TECHNIQUES NEWSLETTER
    Take the Pinup Survey HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow cool! We could take over the life drawing section if all of the CA-visiting Wattsers made threads. There is such HUGE progress here from the first few weeks to the last! Where is your new stuff from this semester? You, your partner in crime, and JP scare me. I have to make sure I get tons of practice in so you guys don't pass me right by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok... I have been a puttz! Hurrah for the holiday break.
    Anyways, I guess it's about time I update this thread.

Martin - Thanks a ton for taking the time to give me some suggestions on where to go now. I have been looking at MCM's Brague thread and have been considering doing a Brague. It looks like that would really help tune my eye.
    As for cadavers... I have no idea where I could go around here to check out a cadaver. I'm not sure if I'd have more fun looking at someones innards or get grossed out by the smell. I remember in 6th grade we were looking at a skinned cat. The smell alone almost made me gag. Damn you fermaldahide! I like that Vick's idea though. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get a chance to work with a cadaver.
    Until then I need to get up to the Body Worlds exibit in LA. We tried going over Christmas, but wow! We didn't realize you need to make reservations in advance due to it's popularity. If you don't know about Body Worlds go here: http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp
    Thanks again for the comments Martin. Good luck with your artistic journey as well!

Velo - haha you are so right! I hear Intern is coming as well so he better put up a Watts thread as well. Soon we shall take over! mua ha!
    Thanks for your encouragement! It is crazy how fast we are all progressing at Watts, although I understand why. You'd have to be the pirate guy from Family Guy with wooden limbs in order to not progress. hehe "my mother was a tree..."

Welp, here goes. I have some stuff from Week 10 but ya... that's from a while ago and I already have enough to add here.

WEEK 1 - WINTER QUARTER

Let's see, so I missed Head and Figure Drawing this week because I was still up at the SF Workshop (which was insanely kick ass btw!) Well, that and I wasn't driving my weeenie lil truck back down in that crazy storm.
    So my first class was Head Quicksketch. This class is completely insane! I love it! All of these drawings so far for the class have been 2,3,5, and 10 minute poses. I think that's a 5 min head by Ron with the arrow. He's just showing me the process he goes through. Hahaha crap that's insane!

Here's my first pic from the Drawing Salon. It came out pretty well, except I aged her a ton! ahhh! Oh well. I was excited about how her Rt hand came out so that made up for it.

Saturday mornings are Anatomy of the Hands and Feet. So far we've done bone studies of the hands, hand and forearm, and feet. I doubt I'll be posting up much for this class. So here's my update for a few weeks in here.
    Here's an arm bone study with muscle layovers on tracing paper.
    and some purdy lil feet.

Saturday nights are Figure Quicksketch again. Erik helped me here to remember to unify my shadow patterns. I'm so bad at that! Soon I'll get there though with tons of help.

WEEK 2
    Here's my head drawing from Monday. This guy was fun... and a pain in the ass as well. Ron, Vanessa, and Patrick were all sitting in front of me so I kept looking to them for ideas. Thanks Ron for doing cool feathers! I tried to go off of how he was making them... cept I'm not Ron so my hand was being a bad monkey like usual.

Wed Morning Figure class! I used to hate figure drawing back in the day. Then I layed back and accepted it. (maybe it was my bad experience at an AI school - Jetpack feels my pain) Now since I'm not completely horrible at it I'm beginning to really enjoy it. Mark came in near the end and threw down some whoopass in the back and left arm. That was fun to watch. I really need to learn how to unite shadow patterns more instead of having weird shadow shapes floating everywhere.

Thurs morning head quickshetch. I'm not a morning person at all, but this class makes it more than worthwhile! I can't get excited enough about this class! Here's some 5 min poses and a few 10s.

For the drawing Salon we had this guy all decked out in his Pirate gear. AAARRR! This was so fun to draw even though it scared me to death when he walked in. It was definitely a huge challange to figure out all of the fold patterns, especially since they move whenever he gets up for a break.

Here's some quicksketches from saturday night. Man... I wasn't in it at all tonight. At least I felt like I was getting the figure down alright proportionately.

Monday's head drawing came out pretty wonky. I barely ever take on a front view of the model... and I now remember why. The pain! o wow! So the features might stand up on their own... but as a whole I made her look all deformed. Oh well, Jeff gave me a kick ass demo which helped.

So my figure drawing looked good till I layed in the tone. Then all hell broke loose. Hahah rats. Oh well I learned from this, plus Erik noticed my issue with lack of tonal control and is really going to help me there! Thanks my man!

heheh I just can't get enough of Head Quicksketch! Here's my 3rd class. Ron! I shall catch you yet with your head quicksketches! uh... ok maybe when I'm an old man. But at least I feel like I'm making some progress. Here's a few 10s. I was having way too much fun with the model's hair today that I probably didn't spend enough time on the faces. Oh well. I gotta figure out hair... because it's just so cool! I mean dang! She busted out some crazy Star Wars hairstyle for the last one.

Welp, there's my batch to catch up. Sorry for my crazy long winded comments. My fam probably reads them. not sure if that's good or bad... but at least they know what I'm up to and what's happening in the classes. I hope you are all enjoying my randomness as well, and maybe some of the comments are of help.
    Thanks again for the feedback! Everyone is so helpful around here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup yo!
    you are making some sweet sweet progress. You've got to be able to feel it? Unifying shadow shapes is a real bugger. I struggle with it myself. you oughta be drawing from that sculpture thing you bought from the workshop by now, no? argh, huge advantage! If only I wasn't crippled and confined to my wheelchair I could get up that hill to draw some myself! Maybe someday....

Cowabunga!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word, son. things are coming along nicely. Your quicksketches are really improving.. they're feeling so much more solid. That head quicksketch class is going to help you a ton I think, too. You're going to be a lot more confident about the head proportions and structure by the end of this term. You can already see the improvements between the first week and the second. I'm really liking some of the areas on the pirate too. Especially the boots and that scabbard.

Dig it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread kicks ass! I wish I were at Watts. Thanks for the great posts and keep up the solid effort

-Bonedog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeff! Digging that pirate, and that bottom head with the starwars girl is nice. Where's teh updates!?

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the comments.

Jetpack - Thanks my friend. If you ever want to come up n draw the anatomy sculpt with me lemme know. I can pick you up if you're too lazy to walk up that big, scary hill.

Adrian, thank you my numba one homie. If it wasn't for you I'd still prolly be drawing bald heads in my sketchbook.

Bonedog, I shall continue my solidification.

Fuki, Thanks mayn! here's that update....

So it looks like I left off with Friday night Drawing Salon. I blazed through my layin... cept I am so slow with tone. I spent most of the class just trying to figure out what to do there. ARRG! oh well. Now I know to do more long studies at home so I can really focus on figuring out tone.

Welp, since I screwed up the tones and composition soo bad in that one figure drawing from Wednesday I asked Erik to help me break it down into fewer amounts of tone and figure out some composition ideas. This class was a blast then! It's always nice taking a different approach to things.

I realized during this class that eyes are still a loosing battle for me. I think I erased and redrew the eye about 5 times before giving up on it. Otherwise I had a fun time messing with the guy's beard and dreds. Although this looks nothing like the model. I made him look way too evil. Oh well, I'll get there.

So I spent almost all of the class just fiddling with the layin and proportions of this guy. Then the last 30 minutes blocking in tone. Oh man... what a slow day. At least what I got down came out alright. Mark went in after class and helped me figure out some of my proportion issues. I'll have to keep em in mind for future classes.

Today in Head Quicksketch we worked more on longer poses. Here's some 5s, a few 10s, and that lil one in the middle left is a 15. It was almost more fun watching some of the great artists in the class bust out some killer heads than drawing them myself.

There's another lil update. CnC more than welcome as always.
    Thanks for lookin all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JEFF, this is Felix, I can't believe how fast you're progressing man. Watts and dedicated people make killer artists.
    Keep on goin with your determination and jolly attitude! Cant wait to see more bro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Felix! my man! How are ya doing? We gotta hang out sometime soon... maybe even grab Mike and have a SF roomie reunion! Thanks for the props my friend. I hope you are laying the smack down up in Fullerton. good luck!

Anyhoo... I can't believe how much of a bum I've been neglecting this thread, as well as wandering around CA.org to try to put in my 2 cents lately. Welp, hopefully I'll get all the puttz out of me and start becoming more active on here regularly.

I think I left off with Friday Night's Drawing salon. Ron was talking about rendering the forms with cross contours in the previous week's hands n feet class so I thought I'd give it a go tonight. I had a lot of fun and my leg came out pretty cool. Although it took so long that I didn't get too much done. That, and my muscle forms are way too chizzled and comic-booky. Whoops. It was at least fun to try, and really helped in understanding the perspective of the features.

So here we go again in quicksketch. Tonight was really rough on me... this was the best I could do. The upside down head one I had to do since he was sprawled out on the floor right in front of me. It would have been insane trying to get the foreshortening of him down in a few minutes considering the pose he had in relation to my seat.

I had such a cool layin for this drawing... then I added tone! arrhg! Welp. At least I am getting one thing right now. Jeff came over and did such an awesome tracing for me. That really helped me figure some stuff out as well. This was my first time to have a profile seeing more of the back of the head than front. Yup... I showed up late and got stuck way to the side... that big white indention on her left is where the chair was blocking my view.

All I know is putting down tone has been defeating me quite regularly lately. Here's another example. At least I'm getting some drawing done and improving my eye!

whew... worst head quick sketch class to date. I can't remember what was going on this day. I was just not in it at all. Wow... rough times. I think these were 10s... maybe longer.

Welp, how's about a small update for hands n feet class? Yes you say. Ok then! Bazaam! Here's some hands and arms from a model. I think they're mainly 20s with a few 10s. Ron made my middle hand holding the glass look awesome while Ben was showing me some edge control on the bottom LT hand. This class is so helpful! Wow!

So I was almost out of paper for quicksketch class. This is not a good class to have very little paper for either - considering the amount of drawings you do. Welp... instead of using 5 or 6 sheets I only used 2. Here's one of em. I had a lot of fun during this class. Jeff was sitting in for who knows why... and he was sitting next to me. Oh that was killer! so I got some good ideas on stuff for mine.

On to week 6! Ole!
    Here's my head drawing. I usually have a rough time with this guy because of his beard and crazy hair. Luckily he put on a cool hat n glasses and made everything all better. Balance was once again restored to the drawing force.
    Jeff came by and showed me how to render glasses since I've never done it before. He did the right lens as well as rt cheeck and the nose rendering. That really helped for when I went in to render the rest of this guy. I was pretty damn excited about this one.

Here's yet another drawing where I had a really nice layin. I even spent time getting dimension, perspective, and foreshortening for the legs n such. Then I put down some tone... and BAM! Drawing ruined. One day I shall master the devilishly tricky art of rendering. o yes...

So I think that's about it for this update.
    Thanks for looking... and like always, CnC are always welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i think the problem you have is you worry TOO much on rendering, and dont do a very good job in the perspective analyzing and anatomy. For example, in your last drawing you posted, the man's RIGHT leg (for us it would be the left) looks too big compared to the other leg, proably cause the knee is enourmous, and the lower leg area (dont know how to translate it) is smaller than the other legs one. His right hand is also too big, the outer palm area (dont know the name in english either) is the size of the guys face!

Your rendering is kick ass, but those proportions, sorry to say, you need to put even MORE time into that... a lot more... I would even suggest you try just to do ONLY proportions and anatomy studies for some time, and dont even worry about the rendering.... much better for your skills in the end I believe.

later,
    GRiNGoLoCO

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gringoloco - wow you are totally right! Those features were bugging me and I couldn't tell why. My eye is still far from being accurate that's for sure.

If you saw how people were rendering at Watts you'd know that I render like ass! Especially compared to the rest of my drawing, like anatomy, proportions, etc. All in all... I still have a long way to go before I become a good artist.

So much to work on... so little time...

Thanks a ton for pointing those things out! I'll make sure I pay more attention to the drawing as a whole and how everything relates to each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Spaz! Really digging those last two drawings. The guy with the hat and glasses kicks ass, and I really love the near leg on the figure right after it. Especially that whole foot region. That's an area I have major problems with and yours looks really solid. Definately diggin' it.

Don't sweat the tone. It'll come. Structure is more important anyways. Marshall Vandruff is fond of saying that a poorly drawn eye in the right place is much better than a beautifully drawn eye in the wrong place. Gotta agree with him there.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch Gringo n FukiForest for smacking me around n telling me to regroup my focus on getting solid placement and proportions. I've been trying to work more on getting that down this week instead of worrying about tone.

So I left off with head quicksketch. I have to go tonal in there... hehe. At least my placement is pretty decent. These were 20s I believe. Arrr!

We're doing a bunch of hand studies from the model lately in hands n feet anatomy. This is really helpful and a lot of fun. Ron was having us focus on looking for the underlying bone structure of the hands. That really helped figure out some of these angles. The top right one that's all rendered up was Ben helpin me out near the end of class. That hand pose was so crazy... partly because the handle of the gun makes the hand wrap under like that.

In quicksketch I was trying to focus on getting some interesting rythem going because it worked well with the model. Well, and putting in nice curvature. Jeff was the teacher tonight so he was explaining to us more about the rythems and abstraction of the body.

Wow! week 7 already...
    Head drawing went pretty well for me cept the near eye. I drew that thing like 30 times! I didn't get it right in the end but I gave it my best. I had a tough angle, plus she had a head tilt. heh... crazy!

Horray for lineart figure girl! heh... I wanted to focus on tone to the -10th power for this class and worry about placement and proportions a lot more. I had a lot of fun drawing this way since I could focus that much more on structuring the body and fine tuning. Her legs are still wonky, but I was happy with her hands and head.

Thanks again for the crits guys! If you see anything else totally off lemme know. Everything helps me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey spaz --

nice work. i can really see your progress over the work in the thread. keep it up! just keep worrying about the placement, proportions, and perspective… the rendering is so hard to not do when you're surrounded by people with such awesome rendering skills, i know. i fall into the same trap of wanting to render before i've got everything in the right place. patience is hard.

maybe i'll see you in a class sometime.

"If you want to create, you have to sacrifice superficiality, some security, and often your desire to be liked, to draw up your most intense insights, your most far-reaching visions." —Clarissa Pinkola Estes
    --
    www.pantagruel.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Culfinglin - thanks for the comments. Are you taking classes in the spring quarter? Maybe I'll see ya then.

so it looks like I left off with head quicksketch. These are my faves to date.
    Ron gave me some awesome advice during this class which really helped me pull these together. 20 min. each.

I was having it rough getting this figure to work in the drawing salon...
    so I just gave in n did some 20 minute head studies. Glad that night is out of the way...

mmm.... feetses...

Erik showed us a different approach to quicksketch tonight almost like a contour drawing
    cept you follow shadow patterns, muscle rythems, etc all over the body.
    This class was a lot of fun!

Week 8 arrives with capn' Troy. Well, I think that's his name.
    He's always decked out in some sort of cool gear. Here he goes again.

Hrm... Standing poses and the front row make for crazy perspective. I really crashed n burned on this one.

Rough day in head quicksketch. Although it was still a lot of fun to draw this guy. I think these were all 10s.

More feetses!
    I wanted to work on some cross contouring to figure out how the planes of the feet run.
    I learned a lot from this class, n Ron helped me figure out how some of the bones run underneith.

I think I left my drawing arm back at the apartment this night. Nothing seemed to be working for me.
    Another batch of bad drawings out of the way!

It's funny how sometimes it's so hard to draw a certain person. Welp, here's one of em.
    0 for 2 with getting a decent portrait done from her. Soon I shall be the victor!

Figure drawing went alright in this class. I made some pretty janky legs n feet like usual, but at least the rest of the figure came out alright...

Some 15 min heads. I tried playing around with turning the chair into part of the composition.
    It worked somewhat, cept Ron said to nix the outline of the chair so it doesn't draw attention away from the portraits.
    He also noticed my lovely inconsistancy of head proportions. eek! Time to get that issue taken care of.

The drawing salon went pretty well tonight. I think most people broke out some rockin drawings in here as well.
    I have officially dubbed this model my fave, because every time she models she'd decked out in some cool outfit and hairstyle.
    Plus she has a really unique face that is a lot of fun to "attempt" to capture.

Some 5 min quicksketches. I've been thinking way too much about anatomy and not form and rythem in here.
    So I was trying to draw more sweeping lines and loosen up a bit.
    I still failed to loosen up how I need to be. erf! one day I'll get there.

thanks again for looking and for any CnC.

Members who have read this thread: 7