Thanks

Is this possible???

Portrait

I'm not exactly saying I don't believe it, but it is tough to imagine. He says it's with graphite and conte. My first thought was that it was a retouched photo, but I know there are people out there who can do incredible things. I still can't imagine how long it would take me to get to this level of ability. Besides the edges, there isn't anything to indicate this is drawn.

Be sure to click through to the close-up.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    judging by his other work, yes.

Thanks
    Yeah, his other stuff is the only thing that made me think it. But none of them have this unreal level of detail. Really, this isn't a call-out thread, more a matter of pointing out something amazing.

Thanks
    doesnt look to un beleivable to me, ive seen other stuff like that before.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    yeah, you can see the strokes on the close up, especially in certain transition areas.

Good work. Let's break his fingers.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    it's alright, if you can copy images and blend things, it's not as difficult as some may think, just takes a while.

Thanks
    It is. Some artists are just nutcases this way. Others aren't so concerned about detail.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a drawing, or what you hope to get out of when you're drawing....he's really good no doubt.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Im not questing this guys talent - it eclipses me by oooh...a few light years =) But if your going to spend ages making a drawing look like a photograph, why not just take a picture instead? Its like the debate thats going on about 3d at the moment: sure you can probably make a completly convincing person but wouldnt it be alot quicker (and cheaper) to just film someone?

Thanks
    oh trev...jetpack42 once asked the same thing...

Originally Posted by jetpack42:
    "why wouldn't you just take a picture? I don't get it.... "

Answer by slash:
    "Probably the same reason why people climb mountains instead of renting a helicopter to get to the top."

I just love the quote from slash, i don't know if he quoted someone else or if it was his own sentence, but i love it...

happened in this thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31160

Thanks
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/4933881/

"Why don’t I just take a picture? Why bother spending hours meticulously drawing what seems a camera can capture in seconds?

It’s by keen observation that allows me to understand the person I am rendering; I could not get that knowledge from a photo alone. Although I use photography as a tool, it has many limitations; I need to see way beyond the photo image, and recreate the person’s unique anatomy to capture the life missing in the photo. When you see a rendering, be it very tight or loose, you are confronted with the artist personal vision and language. This process becomes the ultimate collaboration between the artist and the viewer. When the artists mind, eye and hand leaves a lasting mark, viewers of the work start their own investigation thereby recreating the process. Photo-realism itself does not interest me in the least. Realism does, details and textures do, ultimately seeing what others fail to see, until they see it in my work.

A good portrait drawing conveys the presence of the individual, in order to accomplish this task; I need to be in total control, technically, conceptually and emotionally. For this reason I will rarely accept a portrait commission. Not only do I need to find the individual visually interesting, but I have to be emotionally moved by this person. Drawing and draftsmanship are life-long passions that are heightened by a love of intense observation. By training myself to "see", I am able to celebrate the tiniest nuances that make up the human face. The complex markings, patterns and textures act as a visual journal, giving clues to the sitter's life experiences. Not one shape on the human face is "more important" than another shape. The way light falls on the eye is as important as the structure of the eye itself. The position of the major features give no more of a hint at a persons likeness than the folds in the skin which form patterns that tell of the persons movements and temperament. The way the hair is worn, moisture in the eyes or on the lips, and the way light and shadow play with each other are all clues to the likeness. I long to present the viewer with a unique observation, my emotional reactions and to unravel the clues presented to me in a powerfully composed graphite drawing.

I find a good “rendering” is a drawing of what the person sees, I find “a work of art” is drawing what others don’t see."

http://www.nimra.deviantart.com

Thanks
    but I know there are people out there who can do incredible things.
    Like Shawn Ye? http://www.deviantart.com/view/8580654/

http://www.shawnye.com/Main.html

Thanks
    Wow...it makes me feel depressed...I'm with you Oregano, let's break his damn fingers...
    -I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.v.D.
    I find a good “rendering” is a drawing of what the person sees, I find “a work of art” is drawing what others don’t see."

http://www.nimra.deviantart.com
    Dan, thank you for taking the time to talk about how you work, and the reasonings behind your motivations. I didn't see that you had posted here until this morning.

I love "Occaisional Angel". There's a lot of humor in the piece, which really brings it to life for me.

I, for one, would love to hear more about your process, how you select someone for a portrait (since you mentioned that you don't accept commissions), and anything else you would be willing to share.

Regards,
    ~Shane (the guy who originally suggested breaking your fingers )

Thanks
    Some people really do draw too much. But that's what I say all the time. I hear people dissing realism saying oh just take a picture. Forgot the quote that leonardo da vinci made but even he never really went for retarded straight every detail realism without him putting his own little things in there. In a lot of his stuff trees and mountains don't usually twist and turn and have colors like that. But oh well. Dumbs up to those people. Be glad they aren't fighting for your jobs. Well maybe...
    "Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    Dan, thank you for taking the time to talk about how you work, and the reasonings behind your motivations. I didn't see that you had posted here until this morning.

I love "Occaisional Angel". There's a lot of humor in the piece, which really brings it to life for me.

I, for one, would love to hear more about your process, how you select someone for a portrait (since you mentioned that you don't accept commissions), and anything else you would be willing to share.

Regards,
    ~Shane (the guy who originally suggested breaking your fingers )

OH NO W8!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    it´s not my words or works
    i´m so sorry
    it´s all property of armin mersmann aka nimra at deviantart

Thanks
    if you want to get to know something about his progress check his gallery at deviantart. he has posted several wips. it´s crazy he works in little patches that are pretty finished. he works up to 300 hours on single graphite portrait.

here´s another link http://arminmersmann.artroof.com/

Thanks

~

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.v.D.
    OH NO W8!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    it´s not my words or works
    i´m so sorry
    it´s all property of armin mersmann aka nimra at deviantart
    Okay. We're gonna break your fingers on principal then

No worries, thanks for the clarification

~Oreg.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipMcgee
    Mmm, no doubt he's got some great rendering skills, but the character itself feels flunky, and the design is just .. not my thing.

To stay on topic, ye, that is a drawing, the closeup makes it pretty visible, superb rendering though.

EDIT: checked out Shawn's site. I much prefer his colour ilustrations of his furry graphite's. It's like a day/night thing almost. Either way, this thread is not about him. Carry on, private.
    Last edited by Floris Didden; November 25th, 2004 at 07:10 PM.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.