Art: Cover for Dragon Magazine - Goblin Attack
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cover for Dragon Magazine - Goblin Attack

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cover for Dragon Magazine - Goblin Attack

It has been too long since I posted on here. I have a bunch of stuff and I will try to get it up here in the next couple days.

I am soo tired today. My 3 year old stuck his finger in the chain of my daughter's bike yesterday and the sprocket crushed off the end of his finger, between the first knuckle and the fingernail. We spent the night in hospital while he had surgery. Incredibly, though it broke through the bone and was hanging by a thread, that thread was a significant blood vessel, so the end of his finger stayed viable. The doctor thinks everything could heal completely. Anyways...

Here is a painting for the cover of Dragon Magazine, issue #326. This was a fun piece to do with all of the characters. I had some great input on this from Jason Manley, Alan Tew and Joe Madureira, thanks guys!

The painting:

Details:

Drawing:

LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really sorry about your boy, i really hope he'll feel better.

The painting is awsome, looking foward for next stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a horrible story! I hope he's doing better.

But it's hard to stay sad when looking at this picture. It's so damn seksi!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, gruesome story. I've cut my fingers in a serious way enough times to know how much that can hurt. I'm sure he'll heal fine though.
    Anyway, for the crits...
    Its a great compostion, and anatomy is pretty good, but i do have a couple complaints. The mage's body looks very flat, his chest shows no curvature, while at this angle we should definitely be able to see it better. Also, if you consider that the plane is tilted, then he's plain falling backwards. His skull also seems unnaturally elongated towards the back. Gear on the guy with the axe lacks any darks, he looks washed out, somewhat of the same on the girl, but not to the same extent. Otherwise - great job, really captures the mood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool stuff .. Hope your son heals up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really nice image, Howard. Something about this pic really puts me in mind of Targete's work, but I can't put my finger on what exactly...

Hope your son makes a full recovery - something very similar happened to my lad around the same age. Not a whole lot of fun. All the best to you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great piece, I like the compostion and its nice to see the initial drawing as well. Sorry about your son, the same thing happened to me when I was young too, expect my middle finger got slammed on a door on a windy day. Nearly lost the tip of my middle finger. Luckily I didnt cause thats my drawing hand. I do have a nice smiley face scar though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool image I like the composition and lighting/mood, although I do think the comment about the dwarf and female warrior being a bit too light was correct, maybe some darker tones in the shadows would have helped.

I really love the wizard, the lightning is a good bit of fairly understated magic, no massive fireballs or glowing eyes, the flatness of his torso seems to fit the personality IMO.

Just had a mooch through your site, great stuff and a real variety of subject matters and styles, there are a couple of link issues with the first two images on paintings page 2 though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lyon,

Oh, god. I know that heart wrenching feeling of having a child seriously injured. My four year old split his head wide open on a rock a few months back. He was okay with a bunch of stitches and a four inch scar to show for his efforts. So, he decided that once wasn't enough and did it again right above his eye about three weeks ago. No stitches there, but blood all over the living room.

Aren't kids *so* much fun?

The painting looks great. The only thing that bothers me is that the elven warrior doesn't quite look as grounded as the rest of the guys. But beyond that, I really enjoyed your detail shots.

Cheers, and good work!

~Oreg.

Last edited by S.C. Watson; November 20th, 2004 at 03:39 PM.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally, i'd like to see more emotion on the 3 people's face ; they seem pretty indifferent that a bunch of orcs are attacking them.

but the detail and everything else is real nice.

"You know - one loves the sunset, when one is so sad..."

.the sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jett
    personally, i'd like to see more emotion on the 3 people's face ; they seem pretty indifferent that a bunch of orcs are attacking them.

but the detail and everything else is real nice.
    i agree, this is the only part that really drags it down. the mage is awesome and perfect the axeman is okay also, but the girl's face is just so plain. its like, "oh wow...were surrounded..cool."

I think the girl should have some kind of smile, smirk to give her an attitude. that would be cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Howard, I like what you've done with this piece since I last saw it. I don't remember seeing the subtle details in the background, it adds a lot of depth to it all. Overall its a great piece, the colors, composition, character design. I don't necessarily agree with what the others said about the faces being a little unexpressive - they look like they probably have seen a few battles and are approaching this one confidently.

To nitpick, the orc on the far left feels a little less part of the scene than the rest of the orcs. I can't quite place why, maybe its how hes foreshortened relative to the characters in the foreground/background of him or the angle of his pose relative to the angle of the ground (if that makes any sense)

overall - excellent stuff

Make sure you nurse you kids finger back to health - gotta keep that drawing hand in good shape

-Nate

(btw this is Nate from Netdevil)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You talk to Alan Tew!?

Tell him to update his friggin page, I love his work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't heard anything about the colors yet, so...

If this if for publication/printing, then ignore me because I know something between jack and zilch about that, but as far as my knowledge in painting goes I know that what can really bring a subject to life is not just the vivid colors, but also the neutral grays and grayish tones around it that make it stand out.

"pop", It's one of them slang words thrown around here fairly frequently. This is beautiful, don't misunderstand me, but nothing leaps at me, and being the finnicky little brat that I am, I want something to stick out to me from a picture, which is where all them neutrals come in. At the level you seem to be at, you know what neutrals are so I feel asanine speaking this way, but an injection of MORE neutral might help it look less oversaturated and a little more like a real scene.

It takes a true expert to wield that sort of thing, even here I don't see it as often as I'd like to, but it's the only thing I can think of to suggest for this to bring it out more.

And, about your son... I literally recoiled when I read that, and bit my nails a bit in what I would call an empathetic anxiety. Heartfelt blessings on your little boy, I'll remind myself to pray for him to recover fully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about your son, my dad pinched out the tip of his middle finger in a punching machine once. We found the main bulk of it and they sewed it back on but his whole hand hurts alot sometimes.

Anyway, I love your picture here. Very detailed, and I especially like the mage's thunder thing. I'm not sure why, but I like it. I might pick up the mag if I see it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great response everyone and for the kind words about my son. He is a really tough kid. We'll find out in about week now if the surgery worked!

haiku - Thanks! I did a pretty big update on my site, both in the drawings section and in paintings.

fukifino - Heh, you are always very cool about responding to my posts. Thanks man.

Yutani - You may be right with the mage anatomy, definately about his head. As far and the dwarf goes, that was intentional. I did that to help seperate him from the elf a little. I decided to try going higher key, rather than dropping the highlights down. I probably didn't push the range on the elf as far as I should have though. I appreciate the comments.

GhostofMacbeth - Thanks!

Matt Dixon - Being a big fan of JP's work, thank you very much!

Matt Smith - Thank you.

young paddy1 - See my comments to Yutani about the value range on the characters. It was intentional, though that doesn't mean it worked! Thanks for the feedback and the kind words. Also, thanks for finding those link problems. I went in and fixed them. Hopefully there aren't any more problems.

Oregano - Dang, kids can really put you through the paces, but it is all worth it. My friend has a kid who is always getting his head crack open. I call him "Massive head-wound Carter" after Dana Carvey's SNL character Massive head-wound Harry. Sounds like your kid is in the running for that name too! I am not really sure what you mean on the elf girl. If you wouldn't mind elaborating, that would be excellent.

jett and IcedEarth- I felt like I have some good emotion on the dwarf and the wizard especially, but I smirk on the elf would have been very cool. I went for a more stoic look on her, but it doesn't do much for drama I suppose. Next time...

espaki - Nate! I hope that things are going well. I am going to be back out there in a few more weeks. I worked on it quite a bit more after showing it to you and Robb. You both had some great comments. The orc on the left is my least favorite, so he probably has all kinds of problems with him. See you guys soon! Everyone here needs to go check out Auto Assault!

SillyMadHatter - I have known Alan for quite a while and was very lucky to work with him for a few years. Very cool, very busy guy. He has done some amazing work lately too. Did you check out the comic pages that he did? He hasn't posted for a while on his page, but they are worth looking at a few times.

CCCP-DeLux - This is for print actually. This was done for Dragon Magazine, but your comments are still good ones. I think that I could have worked the greys with a little more athourity. Good comments, something I will have to develop more in the future.

BlueMech - Thanks and definately take a look at the magazine. I feel like they are really making an effort to reward the artists that work for them. For instance, they left off as much text as possible from the cover because they liked the image. That goes a long way towards making me want to not only do work for them, but to make it as good as I possibly can. I think that they are really trying to raise the quality of the art there.

Here is the cover:

LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow very good. I like it. Hope to see more of this.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.