Art: Cover for Dragon Magazine - Goblin Attack
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cover for Dragon Magazine - Goblin Attack

It has been too long since I posted on here. I have a bunch of stuff and I will try to get it up here in the next couple days.

I am soo tired today. My 3 year old stuck his finger in the chain of my daughter's bike yesterday and the sprocket crushed off the end of his finger, between the first knuckle and the fingernail. We spent the night in hospital while he had surgery. Incredibly, though it broke through the bone and was hanging by a thread, that thread was a significant blood vessel, so the end of his finger stayed viable. The doctor thinks everything could heal completely. Anyways...

Here is a painting for the cover of Dragon Magazine, issue #326. This was a fun piece to do with all of the characters. I had some great input on this from Jason Manley, Alan Tew and Joe Madureira, thanks guys!

The painting:

Details:

Drawing:

LYON
    Fine Art and Illustration
    www.howardlyon.com

Twitter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really sorry about your boy, i really hope he'll feel better.

The painting is awsome, looking foward for next stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a horrible story! I hope he's doing better.

But it's hard to stay sad when looking at this picture. It's so damn seksi!

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, gruesome story. I've cut my fingers in a serious way enough times to know how much that can hurt. I'm sure he'll heal fine though.
    Anyway, for the crits...
    Its a great compostion, and anatomy is pretty good, but i do have a couple complaints. The mage's body looks very flat, his chest shows no curvature, while at this angle we should definitely be able to see it better. Also, if you consider that the plane is tilted, then he's plain falling backwards. His skull also seems unnaturally elongated towards the back. Gear on the guy with the axe lacks any darks, he looks washed out, somewhat of the same on the girl, but not to the same extent. Otherwise - great job, really captures the mood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool stuff .. Hope your son heals up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really nice image, Howard. Something about this pic really puts me in mind of Targete's work, but I can't put my finger on what exactly...

Hope your son makes a full recovery - something very similar happened to my lad around the same age. Not a whole lot of fun. All the best to you all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great piece, I like the compostion and its nice to see the initial drawing as well. Sorry about your son, the same thing happened to me when I was young too, expect my middle finger got slammed on a door on a windy day. Nearly lost the tip of my middle finger. Luckily I didnt cause thats my drawing hand. I do have a nice smiley face scar though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool image I like the composition and lighting/mood, although I do think the comment about the dwarf and female warrior being a bit too light was correct, maybe some darker tones in the shadows would have helped.

I really love the wizard, the lightning is a good bit of fairly understated magic, no massive fireballs or glowing eyes, the flatness of his torso seems to fit the personality IMO.

Just had a mooch through your site, great stuff and a real variety of subject matters and styles, there are a couple of link issues with the first two images on paintings page 2 though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.