Thanks

Business Cards, you got 'em? (pics?)

A calling card, I figure the proffesional folks around here would have some? I'm going to be making some 'business' cards for myself, for National Portfolio Day. I'd like some inspiration!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Next!

Thanks
    Is there something wrong with my post? Should I have posted some where else? It's a "pic request" of sorts, yes, so I posted in the lounge. I don't think this quite fits in with the sections about art school or getting jobs.

Or does it? If it does, please tell me.

I really want to know what your 'no hope' face and 'next' means. It seems rude to leave me with just that. Tell me what I'm doing wrong, if I am!

By no hope, do you think I'm a hopless dumb fuck asking a stupid request? Am I? Am I asking it the wrong way?

Is this a stupid question? Is it? Your expressive face and single word is really confounding me! What do you mean!? What do you mean to tell me?!

Thanks
    I'll be handing out these badboys at the workshop.

Thanks
    wow, that's awesome! Might I ask the significance of the symbol on the top-left side?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Here's something I whipped up as a little "mini-portfolio" a while back. At 3.5"x2" the faces are pretty tiny!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    cool idear for a thread

here's mine-
    front

back

gonna redo these..I want one with some info on both the front & back... cuz I love myself and my ego needs a quenching!

Thanks
    elwell, that is awesome dude.

Thanks
    Jetpack, I just spit my drink out all over my keyboard...thank you... no really, thats the most I've laughed in days hehe
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    I'll be here all week.

Thanks
    Andy normally "I" would not post a request like that unless I gave something in return, if you don't have a business card at all, work on one, post in the progress section, get some crits, then post what you have with request to see some other concepts.

Maybe I took it the wrong way but normally I see the board as a give and take situation.

Relax.

Thanks
    This is my graphic design card, and I have matching stationary for it. But it wouldn't be very appropriate for an illustrator or concept artist. Probably a bit too structured and rigid.

The scan doesn't show it, but the back of the cards (dark blue side) is all raised and glossy from the thermal treatment. It makes the white logo feel recessed into the card.

By the way, shop around when you get cards/stationary done. I had these done when I was still in school as a requirement for my portfolio class, and alot of people in that class got killed on the pricing. Some people paid $700+ for cards, letterhead, and envelopes (500 of each). I got it all, plus the 2-sided card with thermal treatment for $300. Anyone in the Jersey/NYC area needs the name of a good, inexpensive print shop, shoot me a PM or email.
    Last edited by helix7; November 19th, 2004 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    I def wanna make some. But would like info like helix just left. Whats the best way to go about making cards? Costs, materials, places, etc.

$300 isn't gonna work for me. Looks like its going to be crayons on napkins for everyone.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    I will be handing out cocktail napkins with my info scribbled on it from a local bar. I had an incredibly hard time even making it to San Fran, $300 for cards would kill me.

Thanks
    It was $300 for cards, letterhead, and envelopes. Not sure how much cards alone would be, but I'd guess somewhere around $100-$150.

Thanks
    Guys just go to you local office depot, pick up some avery business card sheets for $15.00 and print them off you home bubble jet.

Done and done.

Thanks
    The problem with cards you buy from a store like a staples is the paper tends to be a lighter weight 80lb paper with perforations and they typically don't come coated. You can buy 100lb-110lb card stock and print the designs on them yourself from an illustrator or quark template but even with a high end inkjet(i have one) the colors bleed because of the uncoated paper. Glossy photo paper is too lightweight to use for business cards. Self printed cards can also be difficult to line up unless you add a large bleed and even more difficult if you want double sided printing.

It is better to just bite the bullet and have a place do the cards for you. Larger print runs will save you cost and will last a long time, rather than getting only a hundred cards done. To save money get a larger print run 3-500+. 4 color (CMYK) printing tends to be more expensive but depending on the printer being used can be cheaper. Another alternative is using spot colors which will give more vibrant and exact colors. When only using a couple spot colors the costs can be relatively cheap. Avoid die cuts and double sided printing. Always get a test sample if you can to feel the paper and make sure everything is good.

Thanks

Argg...I can't seem to find the Digital one...'sigh' oh well.

-Joshua James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    The problem with cards you buy from a store like a staples is the paper tends to be a lighter weight 80lb paper with perforations and they typically don't come coated. You can buy 100lb-110lb card stock and print the designs on them yourself from an illustrator or quark template but even with a high end inkjet(i have one) the colors bleed because of the uncoated paper. Glossy photo paper is too lightweight to use for business cards. Self printed cards can also be difficult to line up unless you add a large bleed and even more difficult if you want double sided printing.
    Word... don't waste your time with the homemade cards. They are a waste of time, and you won't be happy with the result. Besides, we're talking about a card that you'll be passing around to potential employers. I don't think they would be impressed by weak paper and smeared inkjet ink.

If money is an issue, try some of those online card places, or look for a small graphics shop nearby. Those places that just do basic stuff like brochures, business cards, flyers, etc, will usually do one or two color cards on the cheap. I used to work for a small publishing/graphics/production place, and we would do 250 one-color cards for $30. Shop around.. there are plenty of cheap places to get cards done on a low budget.

Thanks
    I like Pat Batemans business card better than Paul Allens.

Last edited by Jebus; November 24th, 2004 at 06:40 AM.
    Life is study

Thanks
    Does Kinkos make business cards...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bRyaN
    Does Kinkos make business cards...
    Yeah, but not very well... and they charge more than they should for them.

Thanks
    Any info on software, layout, images, resolution, dpi ?
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    I made this one a few days after seeing this thread. I've forgotten to post it until now, lol. It's still a WIP and if I intend to have my dad do these for me, I'll probably have to cut the boob factor.

EDIT: Eh, crap. Forgot to edit out my phone # and it won't let me connect to my FTP... So I can't upload my quick fix.

DOUBLE EDIT'd: Now I can.
    Last edited by BlueMech; November 30th, 2004 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    heres mine, made it quickly today, just for the san fran workshop to hand out to peeps who want my contact info for some reason ^-^

let me know what you guys think.

im having trouble printing it. i have a nice printer, and i print at 300dpi, and then text and logo comes out nice and crisp, but for some reason the creatures come out blury and slightly pixelated, as if i have scaled them up a bit. dunno why this is happening, as the creature images are 300 dpi as well, bleh!

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)