Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went through it several years ago and it helped me to see a bit better. It has some good exercises. You might be a little too advanced for it, though. I'd be interested to hear how you find it at your level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol advanced... i dont think anyone is really to andvance for reading plus ur pretty new to drawing seriously if i remember correctly right yet? well i didnt read it all but i skimmed through it and it seems pretty interesting, i dont think its to essential or as good as other books like the bridgemans and stuff but im sure u already have those, or at least i think u were doing those studies? oh well

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if he laughed at me or you.

The stuff I've seen you draw from life makes me think you can already draw what you see. That's the thrust of the book. That and opening creativity (if I recall).

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The nuerological theory is outdated and oversimplified, but the excercises are a good introduction to observational drawing.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah jet, the books pretty good... it's a classic, so it's worth reading just so you can talk about it when people ask you.... it's almost a drawing book for non-artists though, if I rememeber correctly

It's been a loooooong time since I've gone through my copy, but she really gets into visually seeing things in an artist's manner, and using that to improve your drawing, and not so much drawing 'technique' at all..

She does a lot of negative space, contour and 'creative visualization' excersizes, right?

Then again, I might be mixing it up with "The Artists way", another classic 'roots' theory book... I get them frequently confused.

anyway, goodluck, you should tear through that book pretty quick

A very special place, grammatically speaking...
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No blankslate, you got it right. The way I figure follows:

Any book is a possible souce of insight for anyone. no matter what, reading a book will help you somehow, if only slightly broadening your vocabulary. I'm not bragging( ok I am)but in the fifth grade I had a college reading level. This probably had to do with the fact that I had been reading a novel every night since I read my first sentence.When I found out, I never thought that I was too advanced to read the sunday comics, even though they write at the fourth grade level, catering to that of the typical adult. My first words were in complete sentances. My absolute first was," Mommy, I'm constipated." no matter what, that had to take a lot of reading, or listening.

The point is, no matter your level in anything everything helps at least a little, and it adds up.

Tell me, do you think I exist, or am I a figment of my own imagination?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.