Thanks

How to take slide shots of digital art?

I need to send slides of my artwork to art schools for scholarship contests and I'm wondering..
    "How do you take slides of art created on the computer?!"

Here's my method...

First you print a nice copy from the printer and then you take that print and get it professionally shot as a slide.

-- But won't the quality of the image decrease?
    -- And what size paper should I use?
    -- Should I get it professionally PRINTED to insure top quality?

I would love yours suggestions!
    Thanks in advance

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I've never used any of them, so I can't comment from experience, but there are on-line services that will take a digital file and transfer it to a slide directly. I expect they do most of their business turning PowerPoint presentations into slideshows, for instance. Try googling "digital slides" or the like and see what comes up.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    What a joke. Will they not except prints? If not, this is a good example how far behind some places are. Traditionaly places would ask for slides so they didn't have to handle original oils etc. and "prints" used to be considered lithographs and seragraphs which were expensive.

Times have changed and if you can get a great print off of your computer, then do it.

Ask if they will take prints,(size) but if they are still judging art through some oldscholl carosel slide projector, don't waste your time. They probably don't even know what a computer is. So you probably wont even be able to do your digital art anyways.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    weee! 2 pros in a row

Elwell - that sounds pretty interesting! Never knew such a technique existed

otis - yeah, I thought it was kinda lame to send in slides. I mean, the artwork loses so much (less contrast, less details) when it's projected onto a wall...
    I don't think they accept prints

thank you for the replies!

Thanks
    I remember reading about a guy back a while ago who woulkd do some digital paintings on painter, send them to some place and have them printed in super high quality on very large paper, then paint on the actual printed image. it looks extremely nice, but I imaguin a place like that could do it for you. the post is somewhere around CA if you wanna look, it was a landscape with some buildings and water. he said it did cost alot of cash, hwoever. good luck.

Thanks
    You should be able to find a service bureau somewhere that can simply transfer the computer file onto slide format. Though.... it's kinda a backwards thing to do really.

'Course you could take a pic right off the screen with a good SLR, a tripod, and some slide film (might take a bit of fudging to get the correct settings.... 50mm lens at say shutter speed of no slower than 1/30th of a second ough to do pretty well). but... why??? I tend to agree with Otis up there, what kinda place is this???

Thanks
    I'm in a similar situation myself, except I need the slides for teaching positions. My approach isn't much different than what you originally seemed to plan.

What I do is make the best the print I can off my Epson on letter size stock. A larger print probably won't help all that much anyway since the print will be shot. Keep this in mind, perfection is impossible since you are essentially converting the image from one media to the next.

I wouldn't worry about breaking the bank and going to service beareau unless you're in a pinch or have cash to spend.

I've heard a couple theoris as to why schools only want slides (though the good news they are gradually warming up to CD Roms). One is it makes it more difficult to fake the actual piece. I heard this from a photographer who did not seem to be aware that photos in general are one of the easiest things to fake. Another is it makes for a better presentation to look at these with a projector. Odds are they won't even project anything until the end. Up until that point it could mean holding the slides in light. I've heard several more explanations from professors which on about this same ridiculous level. My theory is they are just too damn use to slides and are unwilling to admit they hardly know anything about technology. But if you want the scholarship (or in my case employment) you have bend a little bit and play by their rules.

One last thing. Whatever you end up deciding to do try and keep the process simple with as much of the process as possible in you're own hands.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Lohan - hehe, interesting technique. I would have to check it out

Chingwa - taking a pic of the monitor? Woa man, that is a hardcore extreme idea. Cool!

mikel - alright, in the same boat as me! Hmm, when the image is projected, I hope there's no pixelation in some parts of the image...