Sketchbook: I like to work it work it... (UPDATED 4/25/2005!!)

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Minneapolis and kansas city occassionally
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I like to work it work it... (UPDATED 4/25/2005!!)

Hey, this is just my kind of rough post of just some stuff i've been working on lately, a couple of the drawings are a little old but i've been coloring them in the past week in PS...

This is done in ballpoint pen in sketchbook, simple PS color underneath.

detail.

This is a ballpoint sketchbook page i did yesterday in classs...i just thought it was prety cool, the way the figures were working together...plus you can learn something about counterculture in the 60's...

This is just a motorcycle type thing, all ballpoint with PS coloring behind.

heres a detail:

And lastly, this is something i drew last night for my illustration class...the concept was to take one of the 7 sins or 7 virtues and apply it to one of various subjects, so mine is Diligence in Technology...I have some more work to do on the drawing itself, adding in somemore crap, and then i'm going to PS the color in.I like to work it work it... (UPDATED 4/25/2005!!)

So yea, thats what i have for now, any comments and criticisms are TOTALLY appreciated.
    thanks

-c.burt

Last edited by cburt; April 25th, 2005 at 11:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nice work

you have a very unique way of drawing. post more and i will tell you what i think later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello dude. some fine stuffs you got here. I like how the ballpoint , PS combo gives your drawings a very old - like effect. some nice concepts as well, I see. What i would like to see would be some pencil pieces. oh, and San Andreas fuckin rules (trying to get 100%)

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great drawings, man. Looks like there is a bunch of improvement in those... are those old to new or what? Are you Wes' brother? Heh, your techniques seem to resemble each others.

Keep on keepin' on!

Put your hands in the air like you got the heat to your back
    and shake your body like a baby born addicted to crack
    And since lifes a gamble like the crabstables at Vegas
    I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fresh stuff man! welcome to the mix! anxious about seeing some more!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys, the oldest ones are actually the cowboy and the motorcycle...the sketch page was done yesterday morning and i did the drawing on the bottom last night, threw that little bit of color on thismorning. i'll post some more stuff soon, once i get a few new ideas onto paper.
    -cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man the technique in that history notes page is sick. Got me staring.
    Any comments or tutorials would be sweet. I always like seeing the way people work.

Put your hands in the air like you got the heat to your back
    and shake your body like a baby born addicted to crack
    And since lifes a gamble like the crabstables at Vegas
    I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, pattern: thanks a lot for the comments, yea, i was pretty satisfied with that page, hence the posting of it...i guess the way i did those ones and the way i do most of my figures is to kind of just let the gesture lead me through...all of these pieces are done using no references so what i usually do is lay down a few compositional lines to help guide the rest of the piece. for the sketchbook ones i laid down the shoulder and elbow points first. on the motorcycle one i laid out a dome kind of shape and where the wheels would be...on the "mad scientist" one i laid down a few diagonals that you can find making the lamp, desk, floor, and top of the doorway. just simple things like that to kind of lead myself on... anyway, heres something i drew yesterday and just finished doing a basic coloring job on...this is kind of a concept for a sniper/photographer in a story that i've slowly been developing..its a 19th century style victorian sci-fi...i've got a lot of western, civil war, aristocratic european, middle eastern, samurai, and various other elements running throughout. but here it is:

this is just the ballpoint pen drawing, thrown into photoshop as a linear burn layer.

Then i created just another layer behind the drawing where i do general color fields that help react with the lines on top to simulate a colored gradient. and i go back in with highlights and shadows to some areas to create just a general volume.

heres a little detail:

so yea, thats what i've got, let me know what you think!
    thanks a lot.

-Charlie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff you got in here, I like the effect you've got with the combination of the ballpoint and PS... makes it feel very textural, like a watercolor or something along those lines. I'd like to see more! What school do you goto out in KC?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cotron: thanks a lot, i was kinda worried posting underpaintings on this site where everyone is posting heavily painted works, so its nice to hear some good feedback. the line drawing is pretty important to me. actually i go to school in minneapolis at the Mpls College of art and design (MCAD)...but i'm from Kansas City originally.
    thanks again for the comments.

-charlie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    toataly fukin great man lol that moterycle really cool
    and the 2 loose ones above it are really realy great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a couple more things to post...
    did this one a while back, but i thought it was kinda cool..its all micron pen

and heres something i was doin a couple days ago, kind of a test with the tria inks and pencil stuff...got a little tired of it so its still unfinished.

lemme know what you think.

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres another few things i've been doin.
    another ballpoint pen sketch:

heres a photoshop watercolor-style painting with micron linework laid on top. i did this for my digital illustration class

this is somethin i did for another illustration class...i did sketches of hunters then outlined my sketches and laid in a couple colors..

and heres a pencil drawing with ink wash that i did for illustration class. got a little carried away with the ink and it got pretty nasty. but i like it alright.

lemme knwo what you guys think. thanks!

-charlie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Crap Cburt, what an entrance you've made! Your stuff is off the chain, and your ballpoint and PS skillz are mad tight.
    But seriously, Your illustration work is very nice, and you have a good way of manipulating large solid areas of tone alonw with your line work. Its not hyper-realistic, but It is believeable and I feel makes your stuff pretty intriguing. Very strong work, are you planning on going into illustration?
    Please post more soon!

"You cannot, in today's world, judge a book by its contents" -Jon Stewart
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    while i'm at it...heres another dump of illustration stuff i've done lately or in the recent past.

this is a combination of pen drawings and adobe vector work printed off onto watercolor paper and painted on. concept was "playground through the eyes of a child".

heres a lithograph i did a while back...

and another lithograph with gouache, colored pencil and collaged gold leaf egg.

and heres an inkwash i did earlier this semester...

i'll be posting some more sketchbook kinda stuff as soon as the semester is over this week..bleh, i'll finally have time to do shit i really want to.

-Keepiru- thanks a lot for your comments, i was an illustration major but i just recently switched to drawing as a major...wasn't really happy with how the ill. dept. was run at my school and i kinda have some of my own concepts i want to work on instead.

anyway, like i said, i'll get more sketchbook stuff soon. till then, lemme know what you think. thanks!

-charlie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that bloody mouse pic. Your pen skills are awsome. They make me jelous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool thread! I'm glad I checked it out! I'm really enjoying those ballpoint sketches. I've always been a fan of what you can do with those bad boys. They feel more comfortable to me in my hand then even pencils at times, y'know? Very nice work. The inkwash is one of my favs tho. I wish I knew how to mess with that stuff. I'm experimenting but not really getting anywhere. lol Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINALS!!! AGH...anyway, yea, finals means some good work and some not so good work...heres something i did between 3 and 8 this morning for class today and i think it turned out pretty well...this is just about a quarter section of the full painting, but i thought it was the only part that was really worth posting for now. let me know what you think. its a watercolor/inkwash painting.
    word.
    my one problem is that i think i placed his head a little too far back, but we'll just say he's mid-movement for now...

heres a torso detail:

and i like the legs the best:

thank you guys for all of the feedback. Zebz, i'm totally with you on the ballpoint comfortability. i also like the fact that they don't smudge like pencil sketches will. plus, i've found that working in ballpoint for a long time REALLY helps out your pencil sketches cause of the light to dark process that you have to abide by with pen.
    anyway, lemme know what you guys think! now, back to finals....ugh...

-cburt

Germany( Cologne )but actually from Ukraine
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your work is excellent,
    now i understand what you ment when you posted in my DSB.

Daily Sketchbook

""Take from the rest of us all that you can assimilate,
    that can become a part of you, but never still the small voice that whispers to you, "I like it better my way".----Andrew Loomis----.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, thanks a lot ilja, i appreciate it. i will be droppin a load of sketchbook stuff off soon once school starts this week. got some stuff to scan in, so be prepared.
    -cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice updates... i like the playground and cat drawings especially.

a crit on the samurai guy, though- it doesn't look like he's part of his environment, the white space around him makes him look out of place.

looking forward to new updates!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINALLY!!! COMPUTER LABS ARE OPEN!! bout damn time, but at least CCA (my frisco host school) has a lot more scanner stations than MCAD (my mpls home school). anyway, heres a drop of some sketchbook stuff, only the yasir one is a completed drawing, and that ones only complete cause i have a version with photoshop coloring too, which i'll post once i bring my harddrive to school. anyway, enjoy, let me know what you think, C&C is most appreciated!

-cotron, i agree with you a bit about the blocking in the samurai, i think the piece works better when you see it in person though, with the full composition, that section is about a third of the full piece, but maybe it only works better cause its the best part of the piece. the rest wasnt that good heh. but, yea, i'll try to work on that a bit. thanks for your crits

heres yasir, for an illustrated portrait class last semester, the uncolored version.

heres the regular sketch pages, in chronological order after my winter break art withdrawal.

anyway, here they are, none are totally finished, i like to jump around a lot when i draw, i get bored with things pretty easily sometimes...lemme know what you think!
    thanks

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow!! i cant believe you did those with ballpoint!!! theyre 5X better than my PENCILS!!!! yeesh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great sketches! I exspecially love that inkwash-piece...
    post more!

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This feels like a really unique thread. I think its because you're not getting TOO hung up on form, and you;re letting your design sensibilities wander (in a good way). Oh, and I can't even begin to express how much i like that image with all the cats. A lithograph? Does that mean there are multiples? And if so....how much would it take to get you to part with one? seriously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whatup charlie!

It was good meeting you in SF, wish you had let me look at your stuff while we were there. Great drawings you've got in here man. You described it as minimal and I guess I can see why but you get some great details in the clothing and facial expressions. Very unique, and great colors too.

My fav is the one for the childrens playground, great job conceptually and I thing the simple line-work works really well. I'd encourage you to move in that direction, maybe vary up the line-weights a little. I dunno, Just an' idea.

keep em' coming dude.
    -k

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool style,cburt! i really like the ball point pen with the colors,makes me want to try it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow,you have alot of different things going on with these,those lithos are burners! sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you all for the comments i really appreciate them

ODT- thanks man, you should definitely give ballpoint a try man, its a whole different world, and it really helps pencil work.

Nike- thanks a lot, i was pretty happy with that one as well heh

McLean- haha, thanks a lot for your comments man, i really appreciate. as for the cats- yea, i've got a few extras, so what i was thinking is perhaps an artists' trade is in order? get back to me about it cause i'm totally down for that.

Steak- thanks man, at the SF thing i didnt really have much with me...i had a shistey laserprint of the school one, a few sketchbook pages and some like 32% redux's of some illustrations so it wasnt much to show. thanks about the school one, that one turned out pretty well. i was thinking about going in and doing some touchups and improvements to the linework (now including your recommendation of varying line-weights) and doing a full several foot in dimension banner print of it, make it a little more of a wall piece. thanks for your comments man, its good to hear from you!

knowmind- thanks a lot man, yea its a pretty simple technique that really preserves the drawing aspect of the character creation (if thats what you're going for)...pretty simple way to block it all in, i like it pretty well

CITIZEN EX- thanks man, the variety is due to all the different kinds of classes i've been doin lately, feelin kinda scattered right now though heh. thanks a lot!

i'll be posting more stuff as it comes, just picked up one of those sweet japanese cartridge brush pens at the japan center in SF so i'm gonna get that thing goin. thanks again for all the C&C!! keep it comin! haha

-Charlie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres somethin i've been working on the past couple days off and on, back to ball point pen work for me, tried to give some hint of environment, but its obviously not totally finished and i've got some work to do to make that foreshortening really work...
    anyway, let me know what you think!
    -cburt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.