Thread: Need Help!!!

Thanks

Question Need Help!!!

Hey, I got a question for anyone who paints with oils. I am finishing this huge project of 6 commissions and it took me a bit longer than expected. I need to get them dry to the touch w/in the next two days. Any ideas on how to get them dry quickly? Would a hairdryer work? A heater? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nmsolone
    Would a hairdryer work? A heater?
    I wouldn't expect either to work. Oil paint dries by oxidation not evaporation. I'm not sure if there's any way to speed up oxidation.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    A hairdryer won't do it; the heat needs to be even and sustained, although it doesn't have to be all that hot. I've used a standard desk lamp placed 6-8" away to dry stuff overnight, but this only works on a fairly small area at a time. I have heard of people using heat lamps (like those McDonald's "fry lights") on bigger paintings. I suppose a heater could work, but BE CAREFUL!

If worse comes to worse a spray of Krylon Crystal Clear will surface dry thin layers instantly, but I can't make any guarantees against long term yellowing/cracking/etc.

You could also make a box out of matt board or foam core, using the painting as the bottom and flapping the top open, and deliver it wet.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thank you for the ideas!! Do you think putting them in the bathroom w/the heater on will help? I know it sounds stupid, but desperate times call for desperate measures!! I have a couple shop lights too I thought I'd try.. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The bathroom heater might work. Any extra heat will certainly help.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Just get your ass to home depot and pick up a pair of large mount heaters then return them once you are done.

Thanks
    large mount heaters? how much will that cost me? how big are they? thanks for the tip!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.