Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

HalfLife 2 and ArtBook Impressions???

hey guys,

just some shameless advertising for the new book that just came out by david hodgsdon. for anybody interested in the making of half-life 2 [and the original hl], it's got tons of insight on hl2's design philosphy, plot background, art production process, how we made textures, models, levels, characters, and even rad CONCEPT ART! there's stuff in there I didn't even know, and i worked on this game the really cool part is that the hl2 team contributed a lot to putting this book together, contributing our own ideas and input [and spell-checking it ourselves], so everything from the captions under the images, screenshots, to the anecdotes, were pretty involved.

and it's HARDCOVER!!

from the inside flap: [amazon]

·Unprecedented access behind Half-Life and Half-Life 2
    ·A forward by Valve founder Gabe Newell
    ·Hundreds of art, design, preproduction, and other art pieces crammed into the book
    ·Over a dozen key members of Valve's staff interviewed
    ·Officially approved by Valve
    ·Behind City 17 and other locations
    ·The development of the Source engine
    ·A rogue's gallery of beasts, characters, and monstrosities
    ·Key weapons development revelations
    ·A tour of many of the game's locations, from inception to completion
    ·Filled with art, screens, and anecdotes from the Valve team

anyway, go and grab this book. it's rad.

~ laura

P.S. if you're suscribed to get hl2 over steam when it comes out, preload sometime today, so you don't have to wait forever tonight when it comes out [there'll be download priority for smaller downloads/people who preloaded early]
    Last edited by nova; November 17th, 2004 at 04:19 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Splendid!,ill b lookin out 4 this book 4 sure!.

man,got my pre order all done and set,got my sleeping bag,stacked up on freeze dried coffee,once i get that game in my grubby hands im not gonna sleep 4 a week!!.

Jace

Thanks
    hehe, ive ordered the book from amazon, and halve HL2 preordered at EB Games

only thing I have to wait for now is my next paycheck (so I can buy a new GFX card to go with the rest of my new computer i bought specifically to play HL2 )
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Already ordered my copy a couple o' days ago! Can't wait to get it! Didn't know you worked on it, that's pretty cool. Are you the one who did the splash image for the day of defeat menu?

Thanks
    hey will,

you're probably thinking of kristen perry, check her site here: http://www.merekatcreations.com/

Thanks
    apparently so, since it's right in her portfolio. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do for hl2?

Thanks
    yup, some of the other images made it on the cover of a couple magazines, pretty cool

np, i worked on modelling, texturing and implemented environment props [ex: furniture textures, modelled docks, hooked up driveable crane and exploding barrels, etc]

Thanks
    Nova, me and you have to talk...

You know about things i wanna learn about...see ya in SF definately...

BTW i tossed you on my buddylist on MSN a long time ago, and i just found out last night...i'm an idiot

Thanks

the second half of life...

it's in the box in the bag in the car in the parking lot... calling to me... its siren song... so alluring, so sickly sweet... the humming and moaning, with a far away clicking, click, click click... so disturbing, so tempting, so full of promise... of excruciating pleasure... of exquisite agony... it's calling, calling, calling...

What do you mean obsessing?

Thanks
    Last night I was giddy like a school girl around 12:00AM.

Bring it on! Hooyah!

Thanks
    argh! havent yet got video card must get by weekend....

guess ill be reading the strategy guide for a few days...

Thanks
    i have it sitting on my desk...once i get home, im putting on the tshirt...im so miserable...

Thanks
    I just got it, but I have to do homework before I play. My bro is installing i now. Man, just like Redder said, I'm giddy. I'm bouncing up and down.

Sanby

Thanks
    hmm anywhere i can go and pick it up from?

i really want it!

Thanks
    Woohoo stream is so lagged its going to be another year before anyone can play the game.

Thanks
    can anyone tell me if half-life 2 will run on my system properly?
    athlon xp 2400+
    radeon 9700 pro
    512 mb ddr ram
    asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard

is it true that steam is totally lagging? shit, i regret that i didnt download those data parts of the game earlier..

i want my half-life 2 NOW!!!
    and btw what's the new counterstrike like?

Thanks
    Weeee i bought it yesterday morning in the freeeeezing cold. I got it unlocked and updated through steam with no proplems. Right now, im on the buggy doing drive by shootings and fighting the organic flying thingy with my rocket launcher. This game f*cking rocks.

Thanks

HL2 is Badass

Hey so me and blur got HL2 yesterday! It's too awesome for words. The environments are gorgeous and interactive. The characters are really really well done and each is unique and lifelike. The atmosphere is great and depressing. Anyway you probably knew all that from the reviews. So what are you all waiting for!? Get it! You won't be disappointed (unless you can't get the game in which case I would understand). I stayed up till 4am playing it and was late for work ... it was soooo worth it . Anyway back to impatient waiting till I can pick up that crowbar again and crawl in the sewers with corpses and zombies. Nothing beats that!

Thanks
    I'm at ravenholm at the moment, and got myself a bit stuck. apperantly I got in the wrong part of town (father gregory told me that ) and should go to the church, bleh, dunno where to go.

Anyway, Rock solid, ehm I mean MOUNTAIN! solid game. This shit is craaazy! its way better then the hype, BUY IT... BUY IT!!

Thanks
    hey injection,
    i think the guys at work picked the book up at borders or barnes & noble, they're the closest bookstores around. but for sure, you can order it from amazon.com.

Evil ~ man, i got stuck there too.. ran around for the longest time. Hint: try to find your way UP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    my mind is still in a state of shock,ill update later!!!

Jace

Thanks
    and thus the battle between half life 2 and halo 2 begins.

Thanks

Um NO...

HL2 won that battle before it started!

Thanks
    lol.....i just started playing it today. and it is fanfuckingtastic....initially before the actual plot started, i was tossing pops cans at the guards, pissin em off.....lol...theyd come up and push me back....then chase me around onc e they activated their stun batons.....awsome game. i am sooo impressed....this games going down in the books.

Thanks
    I don't want to spoil anything so i'll just say

DOG = OMG
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    heheheh that's exactly what I did. I thew cans and brief cases at them just to bother . Man wait till u get to the airboat ... don't worry I won't spoil it, just teasing. tKillbox is right ... no way Halo is going to match HL2 except in how much money it grossed in one day. But then it topped every other product out there ....ever.

Thanks
    yeah, to me Halo1&2, Doom3, Farcry...are all nothing compared to half-life2, but you know how the farcry engine works, right? that engine can allow you to see kilometers away and actually go some where that far away without having to load each zone like in half-life2. still nothing beats the SOURCe engine. Doom3 was really disappointing to me, not a very good spending of 60 bucks. Halo doesn't have the goods of the vehicles, weapons, or characters like in Half-Life2. not only that, there are some really awesome scripted sequences. The physics are just absolute realism and the AI is the best in an FPS game i have seen. so, it is perfectly clear. Half-Life 2 kicks soooooo much A$$!
    don't forget Counter-Strikeource . it is pure fun and very realistic.

by the way....*evil luagh*, i beat HL2 already...really it isn't that long...only 15 chapters. don't mean to spoil.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Anyone getting motion sickness or something else? Ive been reading that some ppl are getting it after an hour, with 60hz on. I did get a little nausious (sp?) and irritation in the eyes But that wont stop me !

Thanks

i played like 1 hr of HL2

i just playe da hr of HL2 and it so soweet like half life one. so well done all around BAD ASS. btw Muffinman your avitar freaks me out.
    Member of Team Insect Battle X-Tream !
    <-Drop-Shadow Infiltrator->

The Waffle house sketch book.

Room 301!

Thanks
    Apparently I'm the only person who thinks this game is a major disapointment.

I got to the end of the final chapter and thought, "Yeah, I must be about halfway through the game by now." -- No, as it turns out the credits are now rolling.

There is no plot aside from "Rescue Dr. Green." You never learn anything about the world or what's happened since the last game as everyone has conveniently forgotten. You also learn virtually nothing about the infamous "bad guy" who is apparently trying to use Dr. Green and Gordon Freeman as trading tools for immortality (wtf?) from the things (?) on the other side of the dark portal (yes, that's the entire story.)

The game is even more linear than Doom 3 with just as much gameplay, totalling 10 hours at best.

In general the entire game is nothing but a showcase for the physics engine, further proven by the fact that in the final chapter you can't use any weapon except the gravity gun.

The graphics, amazing. The physics, unbelievable. The character animation, just as good as the previous two. Unfortunately there isn't actually a game here.

Six years in the making, they could have at least tried for a month to come up with a decent plot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast