Thread: Paula Rego

Thanks

Paula Rego

Hey,
    Yesterday I went to the Tate Britain (and missed Arsenal kicking Spurs 5-4 - doh!) and saw a few exhibitions. One was Augustus and Gwen John, who are quite interesting, if only because Augustus never really seems to have got out of his insecurities and really nailed his craft, and also Paula Rego.

The great thing about her is that she's currently producing stuff, and that not only is it fully figurative (ie: a respected fine artist being displayed who isn't just producing wholly abstract or installation art) but that she uses ideas in a very concepty way. She does alot of work about feminist issues (well, women's issues aren't necessarily feminist I suppose) but she develops them quite similarly to how we all do. Her latest work, which I can't find online, is an adaptation of a story from a play, about a children's book character who helps children kill themselves. He's called the Pillowman, and actually made from pillows. Really creepy.

Anyway, here's some of her stuff. Go broaden your minds

http://chemlab.pc.maricopa.edu/art/rego.html

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I had a teacher a couple of years back who thought she was a pshychopath (paula Rego, not herself) because she used her own face for most of (or was it all?) the people. Another friend is spooked by these paintings because of this same reason.

I'll go check all that stuff out didnt know it was there. Still got to go and see the Raphael stuff in National portrait as well. I'd be a moron to miss that

Cheers for tip on rego. Oh and if your in Tate Britain check out Sir Stanley Spencer. Theres a page open of his sketchbook of a countryside view with a barn/farmhouse in I beleive. It is beautiful just to see that little A5 pencil sketch. Go see it!
    Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    i don't like her style...
    i mean, none of the paintings make sense. relly, i don't go for paintings done by strange artists. well, some of them are brilliant when they paint strangly. but Puala Rego, uh uh...
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Truely profound insight, Muffinman

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlo-mo
    Truely profound insight, Muffinman
    *chuckles*

Jace