Some newbie sketches! (request critiques)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Some newbie sketches! (request critiques)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some newbie sketches! (request critiques)

Greetings! Just thought I'd post some sketches/initial artwork for you guys to see/crit so you can get an idea of my style/get to know me, etc. Some of you may be familiar with the anthro style of art, so I'll post some of those sketches as well so I can see what the community here thinks of that sort of thing.

Here goes:

A sketch of a character for a comic I'm planning with a good friend of mine. He's just standing there, but I thought the way the lines came out was pretty good.

A second sketch page, a little action in there...and a little french wordplay, see if you can pick it up.

The last pic for this post. It's a pic I'm pondering about how to paint. If you don't want to crit the others, at least crit this one, and I would appreciate any coloring suggestions!

Cheers,
    vedasisme

~I think I am, therefore I am...I think.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the top one his front leg is a bit thinner than the back, this tends to flatten the image.

and im not too great at giving crits, but the colored one you forgot the most essentia thing: light. the tone is much to smiliar, take any object of a flat color and the light will seem to change the tones ever so slightly.
    you have a few places where you have used your pen lines to darken the darkest areas, but other than that the tone is pretty flat.

liking the overall feeling in the sketches though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's becuase I'm still on the "flats" stage of my drawing. I'll probably end up shading it in some way today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I like the first drawing. The pose is simple but it still has personality.
    About the last pic. Is his foot resting on something? Is that headband tied underneath his eyes?
    One thing I might do is vary the shades of brown slightly. It's easy to just use the same brown over again, but I think it would look better with some variation. The brown on his belt looks a little darker, but the brown on his jacket and pants looks the same. It can be similar, just not exactly the same.
    You might want to change the sole of his shoe to a color other than white. Right now that is the brightest part of the pic and draws my eye. Unless that is where you want my eye to go . . .
    Also, watch the handle of the sword. It is blending into the background.

hope these ideas help,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketches veda, you've got some solid stuff going on and it looks like you've got a nice confidence with your lines. I'd suggest to keep doing all of the drawing basics (draw from life, anatomoy, etc.) even if you prefer anatomy you can tell when the artist understands some of the fundamentals. Being able to manipulate forms in space is one of the key ingredients in my soup.

on the last one: You may want to make his foot interact with the background more. Also the hand looks a little weak. Since you've got exaggeurated proportions already with the head it can't hurt to oversize the hand. The sword might have more impact too if it was coming into the foreground. The way it ends at the edge of the pant leg looks a little odd right now.

Anyway, keep going, this could make a great sketch thread.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks for all the nice comments!

As for the last picture (which seemed to be getting the most comments), I had purposefully left it unfinished in the flat color stage.

Now that I've gotten some feed back, I feel ready to make a second version of this picture....when the time comes to me.

Thanks again, guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up!

When you finish up your last drawing, be sure to draw some kind of grounding for his right foot to lean on, I assume the grounding is angled =p.

"Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.