Art: new model...need lots o' crits

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new model...need lots o' crits

hey guys. just wondering if some experienced people here can tell me what i have done wrong/right...especially on the meshwork. i'm a bit new to 3d.

thanks.

here's the concept:

here's some shots:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awwww. c'mon now. 66 views and NO reply? what are my digi-friends thinking? please, somebody, anybody...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice model. It looks pretty good to me. Maybe a few mesh tweaks. Nothing too important. I'd say to maybe thicken up his legs a bit. The concept has big thick legs. I really like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well i haven´t any experience in low poly modeling for games, but i think the straps are too think. I think it could be less detailed, specially in the bag and the straps. You can add a LOT of detail with the texture and those borders are surplus to me... Seen it again, i think it´s very detailed, you can delete some faces in the abdomen and in the back...

Very tight to the concept.

Pd: I know, my english sucks...

Jaku

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what program do you use, cus I'm currently learning 3Ds max. However I think you'll find the following website useful.

http://planetunreal.com/identitycris...ls/index.shtml

"A day well spent brings happy rest" - da Vinci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No experience here but the only crit i could give is that the proportions in the model aren't as exaggerated as in the concept. He generally looks stockier in the drawing, like his feet and hands in the concept are huge and gives him tons o character, but maybe the model is more realistic?

but hey it looks great nevertheless

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good keyth, I think you should go in and do a little more detail on the head.. give him a little more of a neck, and really define some skeletal structure..

Otherwise.. I can't wait to see him unwrapped and skinned up!

peace.

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you doing this guy for a game or high res ! ?

My crits are just to take a look at your origional sketch it looks realy good and there are some small details you have changed in the model
    one is the way the pecs look i like them better in your sketch the center is pulled up in your sketch

also the the arms in your model arent as interesting in the sketch they are a bit thinner and defined difrently a bit some of these things im pointing out may just be in you keepin an eye on the poly count ?

Id just take another look at your origional sketch and tighten up the shape and detail on the model mayb emake the torso a bit shorter etc all in all it look good so far just tweak it

hope this helps

Trav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys. i take everything you say into consideration. it's much appreciated!!!

no his res version in mind right now. i'm mainly concentrating on low-poly models for games at the moment.
    you're right about the chest. i pulled it up. i will try and tighten up the other details before skinning.

once again people, thanks for all the input. it helps a lot

CHEERS:chug:

oh, btw, coylo: this was done in maya 4.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its looking good so far Keyth!

Some crits that may help out:
    The muscles, especially on the legs could use some bulking up. To match the concept more.
    For all the horns.. the shape/placement/size/randomness/and direction that they are jutting out of the flesh could use a bit more tweaking in order to get that nice organic feel the drawing has.

Hey, great drawing btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yaps looking cool

good design.

i think that`s in maya.. if i m not worng.
    but softwere is not big thing, design is most important.

matrix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The model looks good. There are a lot of things to consider when making a good 3d character for games. put a skeleton on it befor texturing - you'll find a lot of areas that need tweaking and edges that need turnng. Especially aroound joints. There are a lot of different things to consider that most people learning don't even know about. Vertex count is much more important than poly count. many things will add to your vertex count - and you won't necessarily get this info displayed in MAX! A pain in the ass! What will add to vertex count? texture seams duplicate verts. Verts weighted across multiple bones increase the count. smoothing group seams. Multipass texturing will increas the vert count by the number of verts used in the additional textures. Also triangle stripping is important - that's having a regular pattern to edges across multiple polys. And then there's the whole issue of texturing and creating LOD's...

This is more just general knowledge than a crit. Hope it's helpful!

"Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bulk him up all over just a tad.

Make him looking rooted to the ground and heavy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well first off let me say great drawing. Low-poly is not my bag, but from what I do know; try to make as many details in the texture as you can as opposed to the mesh itself.

What I mean by this is that you do not need to have all the definition in the muscle structure built into the mesh. In low-poly generation it's important to use the polies wisely and bring out what detail is big and demanding (like the straps, even though you could do it in texture I feel that modeling them in will add that extra heft to the overall fee). When it comes down to muscles all you need is the basic overall structure (so like carving out quads and hamstrings on the legs is really not necessary and a waste [in my opinion]) let the texture do that work for you. If you build an overall nice and general leg shape (depicting the overall mass) the texture will do the work for you and look nicer in the long run.

Even in high-res modeling the texture can really make something so so into a wow factor when done correctly. Experimentation is always worth the time until you develop a workflow and understanding of the overall task. Looks like most of the previous posts touched upon issues I see as well (overall heft of the model compared to the drawing, complexity of the skeleton your looking to drive the mesh and how that will work with things like the straps [ lets say he goes to pick something off the ground is that strap going to now collapse into or through his body here and there based on the skeletal deformation?], as well as the possibility of reducing some faces in the middle area and reinvesting in the head/face area, but I must say that it’s a great looking start). Well I hope I came across ok with the concepts rather then just sounding like a rambling fool.

Good luck and I hope to see more of your works 2D and 3D.

Last edited by Suljan; February 27th, 2003 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool! I've always liked your concept sketches.

I think you will be able to get away with a lot detail in textures, assuming your texture map is high-rez enough. The only technical advice I would give would be watch out for vertices with high edge counts like these:

If you need to get a lot of motion out of that area, vertices like that can become problematic. Also, I'm not sure if you're finishedwith the hands yet, but they will need a third split at the knuckles and and joints in order to deform properly.

Looking good though. Are you planning on texturing it?

Hope that was helpful,

-T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys...i haven't come back to this one in a while. thanks again for all the replies.

thanks for the pointers too!!!

Ted: yeah, he's already textured and everything. i'm currentlly finishing another model. i'll post everything here soon.

thanks again everyone!!!!!!

back to work

Last edited by keyth; March 15th, 2003 at 04:35 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.