Art: My Art - Crits Please/Comments!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

My Art - Crits Please/Comments!

Hey everyone im a sophmore in highschool and has been in love with art my whole life.

My recent art are these.
    the angel statue pictures were pictures i put together and used custom brushes and coloring.
    the motorcycle is a free hand drawn picture and colored in photoshop.
    the flower was done in photoshop also

a free hand drawing with an optical mouse.

I will have more art up soon.
    Thanks in advance, I really hope you all can give me some comments on my art b/c I am a young learner and I am always inspired by the artists on this forum.

l8ers
    ~1337 - Sam

Last edited by Samuel Gray; November 12th, 2004 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added words
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks

Unhappy

34 views and no comments? The only reason I registered was to get better on my art.

Thanks
    Your stuff is ok, don't get discouraged, number of views is always at least 10 times greater then the number of replies. As for improving, i would suggest ditching photographs and filters because they don't help you develop as an artist and they are considered bad tone around here. If you really want to improve head on to daily sketchbook section and start posting there every day, or at least every once in while, and you'll get better pretty quick.

Thanks
    Thank you soo much thats the kind of responce I was looking for.

And I will take up that recommendations too.

I would still like some crits on the motorcycle though.

Cheers

Thanks
    hey 1337,

i didn't respond the first time i saw your work b'cause you're young and i'm afraid to guide you in the wrong direction - but what the hell.

about the last drawing, i don't think is good to bother drawing with a mouse b'cause you'll be practicing to use a tool that is just not practical. you should do hand drawings till you get a pen tablet instead so you can focus on drawing skills as opposed to mouse control skills. you can then scan them and play around with photoshop etc.

the angel images have a great graphic quality. i can't tell how much of your hand is in it b'cause you didn't show the original. but they are compelling images.

i don't want to comment on the drawings b'cause i don't know what's bad because of your skills and what's bad because of your tools.

Thanks
    oh and i have to agree and disagree with Yutani.

as i learned today, people here do seem to have problems with filters even if your paintings just simulate a filtered look.

i don't agree that photographs don't help you develop as an artist. there are ideas and concepts that can be quickly explored with photographs and you can definitely learn plenty about image making and composition and lighting and spontaneity and syncrinicity from photos that would go unoticed otherwise. a lot of comics use photgraphs for composition, animation (like ghost in the shell), and it also distinguished famous artists like renoir and mucha. when renoir started using photo references for his paintings . . . lets just say it was revolutionary. and remember art goes beyond illustration.

Thanks
    From what i can tell, in the first 2 works and the last one, he used photos directly, in other words - copy/paste. Using photos as reference to draw from is one thing, we all do it. Using photos to paint directly over - good for studies, won't bring you much merit. Cuting and pasting photos - learning nothing, no respect from others. If i am worng, i apologize, but like i said, to me it looks like in those 3 works photos were pasted directly into them.

edit;
    Where does ghots in the shell uses photos? And how would you utilize them for animation? Don't you mean computer graphics?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yutani
    From what i can tell, in the first 2 works and the last one, he used photos directly, in other words - copy/paste. Using photos as reference to draw from is one thing, we all do it. Using photos to paint directly over - good for studies, won't bring you much merit. Cuting and pasting photos - learning nothing, no respect from others. If i am worng, i apologize, but like i said, to me it looks like in those 3 works photos were pasted directly into them.

edit;
    Where does ghots in the shell uses photos? And how would you utilize them for animation? Don't you mean computer graphics?
    Yes actually i did as you can tell in my post before this, sorry for not showing it earlier.... if that was a mistake i apologize.
    3 works? what works the motorcycle? I sketched that on paper and scanned it.
    If your talking about the woman, yes i did a VERY light sketch to get the outline of the head. (tracing over that is). But on the angel picture that wasnt meant to be drawn (the angel that is...) but everything else i did as you can see from the original i posted before this.

Anywho i hope for the best for my future and the only reason i came unto these forums was because a fellow artist recommended it to me that people would help me and give me learning tips, and thats exactly what you have done.

L8ers m8s, Sam

Thanks
    Thanks alot guys, i know you both have way more experiance than me and dont worry about leading me into the wrong way mecos your comments are always welcomed to me

And here is the original picture for the angel statue.

that is the only image i used and i did the rest. sorry for stating i used 2 bc i really didnt.

Thanks
    since i was in the first grade i could draw realistically by free-hand and i looked down on my classmates that could only trace the thundercats. then i got to college and what i thought was art got flipped upside down, i felt disoriented and inadequate b'cause i had fine-tuned a bunch of skills but nothing to say or add to the artworld. so i became an architect instead. so here i am 5 years later with a passion to draw again, but with a better understanding to distinguish between good craft and art sensitivity.

but i agree, with yutani. on this site like many others, focuses on technical skills and imagination(concept art) which i like and that's why i'm here but it's a far cry from liberal arts and we shouldn't disqualify photography manipulation as a form of art. maybe it doesn't belong here but it's art none the less and can be extremely moving.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.