Sketchbook: The Chronicles of AlphonseIV

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Chronicles of AlphonseIV

Wow....its been awhile. I once posted here under the name "ubermind" but alas the password to that account was lost and the email tied to it. I take on this name now to showcase my art and continue my study. I look forward to your comments.

this is an idea that i have been developing for the last month. these pictures are the end result.

and the color copy

Please i need your feedback to grow as an artist.

Last edited by AlphonseIV; November 21st, 2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: i want to put the title in bold
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try not "cramping" anime style. do drawings from life and simple exercises such as drawing cubes and circles and stuff.. you do this often, every day, and you will improve bollocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i try doin those everyonce in a while its just i find them so boring. but i guess i can try to do it. oye but thanks for the advice lim. ill post either tonight or tomorrow. but i got some hw to do now. l8r

"Aku Soku Zan" - Hajime Saito

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay i have a test tomorrow!

well heres something i did a while back. i like it. but who cares
    ill be posting some studies later but now i must go to my coffin and sleep

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I had trip today

today i went to the national art gallery. it was fun. my friend guy was there (but you all know him as dakosquash). but all he did was flirt with his girl. but anyway heres a sketch i did there and one i did last nite cuz i was bored
    and this i did at 12:00 last night

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more shit that only 2 people will look at

well i guess its time for another update. WOOT, a note- all animeish stuff pictured in this thread are original concepts. not from any manga or show. on that note. heres some crap.
    im gonna have a color version of these 2 in the near future...

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest doing life drawings and practicing a realistic style first. I know you think it's boring, but if you want to be great as an artist, you need to do them. I used to be like you only wanting to do anime style art, and not wanting anything to do with realism, but I've improved alot ever since I quit the anime. IAnime is fine, but it can cripple you artistically if you don't have the basics covered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i try to do life drawings every chance i get, but i want to draw things that are fun for me at the moment. pretty soon ill have to work on life drawing and all that jazz for college. so i just want to draw whats in my head for now.
    now heres is something i want everyone to consider. this is a sketchbook gallery. just for whatever the hell we want to do. if i wanted to post my life pieces id put them in the life drawing gallery. so stop suggesting i do life drawing. i had the same problem the last time i had a thread here.
    more art to be crited

more art that no-one will appericate to come!

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now heres is something i want everyone to consider. this is a sketchbook gallery. just for whatever the hell we want to do. if i wanted to post my life pieces id put them in the life drawing gallery. so stop suggesting i do life drawing. i had the same problem the last time i had a thread here.
    In that case here is something for you to consider;
    most people post here so that others can look at their work and help them improve. Getting angry at people who give you legit advice is not gonna get you far. Nobody likes an amateur with an attitude problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i guess i was being bitchy there but id rather have specifics instead on what i need to improve on. not just you need to do life drawing. thats all i was told in my old thread. and i posted for about 8 months. and thats all i heard. nothing else. i would prefer specifics. like if the arms of eyes need more attention. i need more than one phrase yutani. so what are your suggestions. PEOPLE HELP ME HERE

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont think you understand what they mean by life drawing. life drawing is the quickest and easiest way to getting better... it teaches you everything you need to know (anatomy, line, value, shapes planes, composition, hand/eye control, memory... the list goes on). anime/cartoon style of drawing doesnt really help with foundational problems you have. jumping to the specifics of anatomy(arms/eyes) is getting ahead of yourself. anatomy is a hard thing to learn and it usually comes later in your development as an artist.

i think you need to start with line and value. i suggest still lifes and interior spaces first(i know, those are so boring, but they help alot). then work your way up to drawing people. try to look at things simply, break down the values into a simpler scale.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../archangel.jpg
    do more stuff like this, but consciously think about what you're trying to learn, take notes, and push yourself to get exactly what you see on the page.

i know you re probably pretty young, but the earlier you start, the better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen to flex, for he is wise!

Also- a point about anime/manga/all cartoony stuff in general... they're stylizations of real life, right? So how are you going to know what to stylize from, if not from real life? The people who get caught up learning to draw by copying anime artists wind up hollow, and they don't have any originality... the cliches in anime, and american cartooning too, is that people study only the cartoony stuff, and don't become rounded artists by learning how things work in reality. Think of how much cooler your art could be if it had more of you in it, rather than the artists you admire.

Take it from me, I started as an anime kid back in middle school, and it took a few years for me to realize how little innovation is being done in that arena. Do yourself - and the anime world- a favor by being different! Influence is important, and it'll show up in your work no matter how hard you try not to let it... which is why it's so important to expose yourself to as much as you can while you're learning.

where you thinking of going to college? I see you're up by DC, I went to high school up there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thank you

mr matthews- thank you for your advice. i guess i just had to hear it from an artist i respected. i used to look at your book all the time when i posted under the name "ubermind". i only hope that studies can help me now. i am a junior at my high school and have little time to improve before college. i will take your advice to heart and work harder to improve. art is the only thing im good at, and with your help i can become better.

cotron- i will listen to flex and you for that matter. as for where i would like to go to college i would love to go to the the Corcoran school of art. the college site
    i did a summer program along with my friend. you know him as "dakosquash" We go to highschool together. I love the museum and it has great equipment. Also its in DC what more could you ask for. However it is very expensive so even if i got in i might not be able to afford it. I also would like to go to VCU. They are first in the country for sculpture and 6 overall. i visited the campus and have fallen in love with that campus too. I'm still looking around.

Yutani- i look forwad to your advice on the studies i will post

i have work this weekend so i mgiht not post till monday look then

My book of Ubergoodness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I goto VCU right now... it's pretty good, as long as you know what you want to learn, and are willing to pick at your teachers to figure it out. I suppose most art schools are that way, though. The illustration department here's done me well.... the fine arts department doesn't look like you'd learn all that much, too much abstraction and fake artwork being made over there. The sculpture is the 6th in the country because of the facilities, I'm not sure if it's the classes... I was gonna goto the corcoran also, but it was too expensive, and looking back now, I'm kind of glad I didn't. They also focus on fine arts too much for my liking, and not enough on technical drawing and illustration. But, no matter where you go, any art school is what you make of it, what you bring to the table and get out of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphonseIV
    well i guess i was being bitchy there but id rather have specifics instead on what i need to improve on. not just you need to do life drawing. thats all i was told in my old thread. and i posted for about 8 months. and thats all i heard. nothing else. i would prefer specifics. like if the arms of eyes need more attention. i need more than one phrase yutani. so what are your suggestions. PEOPLE HELP ME HERE
    LOL! this post is a walking contradiction. perhaps you should open your eyes. If you posted for 8 months and all you heard were awesome people here telling you to do life drawing to improve......

let me spell it out for ya. it's not an arm, or an eye that needs attention...it's your whole drawing. We're not going to ask you to go back and fix something in a sketch you already finished. We're giving you advice so you can improve your drawing skills over-all.

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ow

ow burn. i again have been burned by another pro. ok i will do my studies geez
    ill try to poet some/do some but i have school work to do this week before break

My book of Ubergoodness

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.