Tutorial Request - Bring Pencil Concepts to an Inked/Shaded state
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tutorial Request - Bring Pencil Concepts to an Inked/Shaded state

I really don't know if this is a viable tutorial or not...

But I somehow have to turn my normal pencil concepts to an inked and shaded state - something which I have no experience with (other than ballpoint pen doodle-sketches).

Perhaps you could take one of the building concepts from this other gallery of mine at: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/a...e/afoote.html.

I doubt that I will include the actual building layouts - just the 3d views of the buildings.

Also if you could include a good list of kinds of inks/grey markers that I can go out and pick up at my local art store ( I hope we have one up here ) that would be great.

Thanks immensly for any and all advice and/or tutorials...

- Aaron

"There are two causes for human suffering: man's tendency to conceptualize and thereby impute values, and the existence of desire." - The Tao Te Ching
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got some nice work on your site, Aaron!

Line work is a pretty deep subject. Fortunately, there's a great (classic) book by Arthur Guptill called "Rendering in Pen and Ink," and I think it would be just the ticket for you. It's only $18 at Amazon, and it really does a great job of describing most of what's involved with line work. Best of all, I think it would be a perfect fit for your architectural-style renderings.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of
    little minds - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you very much - I will definetly look into purchasing the book. I recently got a job at a local art store while searching for supplies so now I can even afford some of the markers, pens, etc that I need. :cool:

"There are two causes for human suffering: man's tendency to conceptualize and thereby impute values, and the existence of desire." - The Tao Te Ching

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you begin rendering, I would highly suggest that you work on your perspective.

Other than that, one method of doing things is this:

Photocopy the piece at Kinko's or something, put it onto translucent marker paper. From there you can use a technical pen or something of the like to get the outlines done. And use the cool grey color set from the prismacolor markers [or pantone tri-tip markers] to get the different shades. That's just ONE method of doing things.

There are other ways with just using ink, I'm just not familiar with them, lol.

Members who have read this thread: 1