Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Halo 2 Impressions???

Ahhhh!

Spoiler...

I was soooo disappointed when you didn't have to do sh!t to destory that huge crawling robot. It looked great smashing through the city, it looked indestructible but, no... 'sigh' MAN, it would have been ggreat to have to fight your way all the way to the core, do the damage to the core and then fight your way out...instead you just sit there and it blows up.

ARrrggg.

Anyways overall it's still a damn solid game.

I'll be buying Xbox Live Friday...

-Joshua James

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Single player has always been good, but the multiplayer is where its at. The first impression I had, was trying to get a group of 4 people from trying to kill eachother just so we could watch the warthogs take battle damage. Then on with the killing. We all enjoy the game so far, with the duel wielding, the ability to play as the covenant, new weapons, new levels, and pretty sights.

Spoiler?

Yeah the robot thing was really dissapointing. I hope on legendary it will be harder.

There is also an underground Xbox Live thing where you don't have to buy a subscription, for those of us without money or with modded boxes. Xbox connect I think it is called.

Drool...Halo 2

Thanks
    Supposedly there is a bug for progressive scan for Halo 2. It affects 90% of HD televisions. A bunch of people have bought the game and can't play it without the screen being cropped.

Check this out:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=1015179

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benzo
    Supposedly there is a bug for progressive scan for Halo 2. It affects 90% of HD televisions. A bunch of people have bought the game and can't play it without the screen being cropped.

Check this out:

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=1015179

wtf...

any possibilites in how Bungie can fix this problem? Console games can't be offered any patches...

Thanks
    Man, that's sad. I know these guys put some damn hard work into the game. But, I could have waited if they needed another year. Heh. That would have drove people insane.

-Joshua James

Thanks
    I haven't gotten Halo 2 yet myself. I'm hoping to get it either next week, or after January when everyone and their great-grand-daughter has a copy of it and the price/demand for it has died down. I would've advance ordered it, but I don't like giving up cash if the product doesn't exist.

Anyways, the alternatives to Xbox live that I know of are XBConnect and team Xlink. You can even play games that aren't networkable on Xbox live for free. The only catch with the service is, you've got to hook the Xbox up to the pc via a router, or second ethernet modem card in your PC in order for it to work out.

I've installed the software for both and it runs smoothly, I'm planning to install my other ethernet modem sometime during the winter break when classes are over, so I don't distract myself from studies with the service, but from what I've seen it's a pretty stable alternative to Xbox live, especially if you're a cheap bastard who still wants to network game.

Thanks
    Halo 2.....ah, one great game that I can't play......because I don't have an
    X-BOX!!! Man, I wish things where like it was before, with nes, when most of the best games where on one system. And you didn't have to go buying every system out there to play all the great games. Imagine if the past was like it is now, and to play contra 1 and 2, you need an nes, but to play megaman 1, 2,and 3, you need another system, and to play ninja gaiden 1, 2, and 3, you need another system, and to play metriod you need an nes, but then another company decides to create metriod instead of nintendo, and then they change what system they make games for, and now you have to buy another system just to play metriod 2. Man, thats a lotta cash to spend just to play your favorite games.

Ah...anyway, back to the Halo 2 disscussion.

Thanks
    This is why i own a pc

Thanks
    Presence: Ah, yeah. I'm starting to lean more towards pc games than console systems now, which console's are what I have been used to since atari.

Thanks
    same here, i'm a full fledge PC gamer. Console games never satisfied me as much as PC games could.

also i think Halo is the most overrated game ever. i am totally not satisfied with the gameplay of these halo games, yet i still like the concept and story.
    ANd they seem to have not made that much of an improvement to multiplayer. still i prefer UT2004 for multiplayer when it comes to multiplayer scenarios and gameplay. Halo is just not my kind of FPS. i still believe in HL2 and have a reciept for my reserved copy next tuesday.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    every halo thread turns into a "PC lovin' fiasco"

Thanks
    i think the best part of halo 2 is the fact that you gotta be smarter then in your typical fps. some weapons work better on other enemies ( shotty for flood, needler for large groups oh enemies, those enemy riffles for brutes [they shot uber fast in dual mood and can kill a brute fast], and plasma pistols for scouts)

anyone besides me hate the new look of the scouts? the lok to rattish now for my taste. but i do like that grunts are a bit harder to kill then a few hits from a pistol.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHUATHEJAMES
    I was soooo disappointed when you didn't have to do sh!t to destory that huge crawling robot. It looked great smashing through the city, it looked indestructible but, no... 'sigh' MAN, it would have been ggreat to have to fight your way all the way to the core, do the damage to the core and then fight your way out...instead you just sit there and it blows up.
    what are you talking about? I had a MASSIVE fight on that robat...had to murder 4 red elites just to get on it, and then had a few silver guys to take out inside...it was awesome! took me like a half an hour on heroic. Anyway..I'm not much of a gamer these days, but I play something if I think it's worth my time (although, games aren't REALLY worth your time). I don't buy into the PC FPS vs Console war bullshit. If it's on PC and it works, great..if it's on a console and it works, great..play it and shut up about it. Halo works pretty well on a console, I've never felt like I couldn't aim in time, or didn't have enough controll. Anyway...I wasn't feeling this game too much when I first started...then I played 16player...
    perfection!
    N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    the game is awsome better than most fps i played. i enjoyed the singel palyer. with the ending it had i hope they continue with the d/l content. the multiplayer is awsome. i was amazed at how fast the load time is.

Thanks
    I'm a PC game player, and I love PC games, that?s why I bought an Xbox, because it IS A PC.

Anyway, I was severely disappointed with the single player game in Halo 2. I was one of those uber-dorks who loved the first one so much that I even bought the bloody books, which were so fantastic in really getting you immersed in the game. You knew the back story and the entire game took on a whole new texture. From years of buildup, hype, demo releases, and trailers, I was almost to the point of wetting myself. I had prepared to sit in front of the TV for a week, subsisting on nothing but microwave dinners and facilitating myself with nothing but a chamber pot while I absorbed all of the power armor wearing violence I could...

...then I got the game, and beat it in less than 2 days.

The ending came quicker than a sixteen year old virgin getting his first blowjob. The environments were, at times, gorgeous, but the significant amount of walking around them, or through their corridors ( I know, that?s where the loading takes place ) was ridiculously monotonous, and even though those mechanisms were in place in Halo 1, at least the damn game didn't end so quickly. The weapons were horrible. I realize that the original assault rifle was a trigger holders dream, but to really kill anything with bite you had to empty like a good 2 clips worth of ammo and then smash it with the stock. Those damn submachine guns were useless against anything that wasn?t a grunt or a swarm of flood, and when duel wielded, the entire screen was compromised, as was the case when anything was dual wielded. I kept having to sit closer to the TV to really get an immersed feeling, and feel like was I was actually able to see. The All Glorious bump mapping was certainly overblown as it disappeared often, especially in the cinematics. And MAAAN were those cinematics crap. I realize they were in-game engine cinematics, but cripes. And good lord.. I absolutely loathed playing as the Elite. It took all of the mystery away as the covenant told their side of the story, and their side of the story sounded extremely inane, not nearly as epic as we were lead to believe in the original game or the books. And how convenient that the covenant spoke English! Perfectly! How can you form proper syllables with mouth tendrils?! UGH! That crap looked ridiculous on Star Trek and even more so coming from an Elite, a profit, or a giant plant thing!

..infuriating. Sorry I'm so bitter, but I was so hyped, and it didn't deliver in my opinion.

In regards to the multiplayer, I'm sure it rocks.. however, I have no friends! That and my girlfriend hates videogames
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    All studios need to live by this code: Under promise, over deliver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence

lots of games should heed that advice nowadays. i got Rome total war and its horrible and overhyped. all the screenshots for it are impossible in the game. PC games are relying too much on patches to fix crap now...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence
    for a good game and happy people, yes. For making money...maybe not.

oh well..I'm playing campaign still...no complaints here. I think it's pretty fun and I like the arbiter. Sure their mouth's look stupid as hell and there's no way they can speak english...but I might as well buy into it, if I'm going to buy into a huge ring world and aliens and little face huger monsters.
    N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Helium: dang, maybe I'm not missing out on too much then. I got a chance to play a little bit of Halo 2 yesterday, hahaaaa, yes, the aliens did seem a bit star trek-ish. But if I get a chance to conquor that game, I will. I remember when I went to e3 when Halo 1 was being introduced, I thought the beginning was badass.

presence:
    Yes. Exactly!

one2hit:
    for a good game and happy people, yes. For making money...maybe not.
    Yeah, thats unfortunate. If it wasn't for that there'd be more great games out there. Too many companies who get too rich too fast start loosing there way, over hyping products for money's sake, but puttign out products that don't quite cut it all the way.
    Last edited by Chris J. Anderson!; November 14th, 2004 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    I'm just angry
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    i loved the game untill the ending. i wont give it away but the "should have been last part of halo2" is gonna be halo3. you're gonna have to wait anoth 2 yrs to finish the story in game 2.

pros-

i liked playing as a conventant and hearing there side of the story.

loved playing on earth

loved the new weaponry.

loved duel weapons.

loved how grunts were beefed up a tid bit

cons-

english speaking aliens

he redesign of the jackals suxed hardcore

being master chief and arbiter were to simular. meaning same speed, same shield, same jump hieght. only differnce was arbits cloack and that he didnt have a light

hated the shortness of the game. i thought i was half way thro when it ended

wish there was more fighting on earth

all in all a good game. only played multiplayer vs my bro so i didnt get to experience a whole lot (he sucks)
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Well, I havent played the game all the way through, but I love it so far. I have noticed, that it is nowhere near as polished as the first Halo. Considering how long Halo was in production, that doesn't come as a huge supprise. I noticed a ton of texture pop-in, especially in the video portions. It doesnt detract from the game much though, and I'm sure Microsoft was putting Bungie under the screws to get this game out before Christmas. I think it could have benefited from a few more months of development, but it still an awesome game.

Thanks
    halo 2 is an awsome game. the story (minus shit ending) and gameplay are top notch.

but WTF happened to all the other stuff that was supposed to be in the game. like the snow warthogs, human ATV's, complex melee combat, running, brutes falling from the sky onto your warthog (ie. E3 gameplay) . the games great but what the hell happened to all of this stuff that would have made the game even sooo much better??

Thanks
    i think the only point in buying it is for multiplayer, other than that it can be beat in under 10 hours which is rediculous, some of the character and enemy designs are lacking, especially the mouths of the covenant, wtf were they thinking, i thought the story was bad, its like after halo 1 they decided they need to keep making more so its like oh there is a halo but wait there is actually mulitple halos, lets go to the library ok we need to go to the library again but wait that wasnt the key they key is actually the ark, i hated the story and cut scenes i was so lost. the new weapons are cool and dual wield is awesome, the game looks nice and is fun but single player like i said doesnt last long, multiplayer is some of the best stuff since goldeneye. i think they should have made the earth levels longer or made more of them, ur in that awesome ruined city for a blink of an eye. all in all its fun but way over rated.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    yeah the single player was too short. all it really needed was one more solid earth level and I would have been happy. generally speaking though I thought the single player campaign was a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to trying to beat it on legendary on co-op.

And of course the multiplayer is awesome, even more so when you get a bunch of your friends playing together in a party. We should be getting new content with more multiplayer maps which is going to be sweet. Definately worth the purchase, the best game on the box I've played since soul calibur 2.

Thanks
    this is what needed to happen:

Master cheif lands in outskirts, which is slightly longer and you travel into some of the broken down buildings for some rainbow six deja vu, and you and your marines scuff out some more aliens. You travel on rooftops and explore the outskirts a bit cutting off more small invasions. You can see the metropolis in the background. You work your way there were the action gets more intense, and once you defeat the scarab you make it into downtown. (the E3 demo) it's almost night and you ward off a huge invasion. after this, the game should switch to the arbiter and go the way it went on...maybe a few better designed levels...some variety in the environments (god I hate those ugly brown and grey walls). This would have probably been enough to satisfy most people...even if things were left out, such as some vehicles, or changes to the game design. As far as length? I'm sure I've already spent over 10 hours on campaign in heroic (it's fairly difficult) and I'm not quite at the end yet. Legendary should beef up playing time.

Multiplayer? I have no complaints...other than there really are no good maps for 2 players to duke it out. Lockout is fitting but not totally functional for 2 people in the way that chill-out or wizard was (foundation is pretty great, and so is midship...but, ugly). Some live updates should help. Combat is perfect...people complain about grenedes...pistols, battle rifles or whatever. once you've played it for a while you see why things were downgraded. Instead of lobbing a grenede around the corner and killing some one instantly it just drops their shield...now if you are quick enough, you can whip around and grab a one-shot kill, sort of adding to the intensity, and length of the encounters. Somethings seem cheap (the sword is annoying) but are avoidable with some practice.
    N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    I do like the fighting on Earth deal, and duel weilding is sweet, but graphically and gameplay wise there really isn't much improvement from the first Halo.

Oh, and because I started playing UT first, Halo is just to slow for me. I get tired of playing Multiplayer almost instantly because of how long it takes to do anything.

Still a fun game, but not my favorite. I find it to generic of an FPS. Nothing about the game is unique, it's just everything else slightly better.

Thanks
    "SPOILERS"

I thought it was really good. It didn't seem too short to me either. And the ending didn't bother me. What did bothered me, was the big plant looking guy. I kept waiting for the him to say "Feed Me!" but even he kinda grew on me after a while. I'm curious to see if they can make a decent movie out of it though. You guys think Scott will sign on for it? I can't see it happening, myself.

Thanks
    the vehicles were what disappointed me the most this time around.

The banshee in the original felt like YOU were in control of this antigrav, fuck aerodynamics flying machine. now, it felt like ... well, you know how, if you think about being a shark and how much it would suck to have to keep moving forward to breathe? well, it does, and it sucks to fly the banshee in the new Halo. it sucks like a cheerleader with braces. which is, hard, because when she practiced on bananas she was under the impression that she was trying to give a cock hickey.

the ghost in the first one was like the all terrain king. six foot wall? no problem. just slam into it, hold down A and you'll cross it. Halo 2- sidewalk? fuck! sorry man, you're just gonna have to walk.

Warthog- in the first game, if you were nosediving off of a cliff, you could throttle back, and you'd slam your tail end down, much to the delightment of the gunner and passenger. in halo 2, if you tried that, you'd flip end over end and your gunner and passenger are dead. oh, yeah. and if you flipped it in the first game, the Marines would, like... actually get a clue and get the fuck away from it. in halo 2, they... they try to cuddle it back onto its wheels. doesn't work, and i can't flip the fucking thing without killing my only firepower while driving the Hummer H3. er... Warthog.

Phantom- um... yeah, you know what? it's cool and everything but if there's so much as a pebble on the road, dude... you're gonna have to get out and push. Funny thing is they built the levels so you could only progress forward, couldn't backtrack, so they built a foot and a half tall ridge. yeahp. something i would feel confident in going over in my low-riding, oil-leaking piece of shit Ford Probe. uh huh. the guns suck on it, really. like... shooting roman candles at tanks. looks cool, sure. but it still sucks.

biggest disappointment of the entire game, though, was the scorpion tank. It used to be that you could sorta kinda blow up big groups of enemies. now it seems like if you miss by a few feet they're gonna singe some hair and maybe get some smoke inhalation damage and that's about it. and what's this with the no riding thing? cant i give player 2 a ride? ugh.

The aliens speaking english, well... the grunts spoke english in the first game, but it wasn't this annoying, caveman-imitating babytalk like it is now. 'you'll pay for that, man!' 'he got an elite! run!' but now, its 'where my gun? oh! haha!' 'he kill leader? me run!' maybe those masks are actually just what they huff glue out of. I wish they had kept the Elites speaking backwards, or gone the route of the E3 video, which was a much more animalistic growl. chilled me to the bone when i heard that. but now, it sounds like something from, like... some knight movie. all proper and shit. fuck that. if i'm gonna be killing these folks, i don't want to feel like i'm killing college graduated family men. No. I want to kill brutal aliens. Oh, yeah. the brutes. Cool that they're these big rhino gorilla killing machines, but even elephants flinch when shot point blank in the ribs with a shotgun. i mean, c'mon. oh, yeah. and headshots. unless you graze the crown of their skull, they'll take at least 4 hits to take down even with the carbine. i guess their skulls are just... i dunno. hard.

being able to trade weapons with allies was cool. using up a sniper rifle to the last round and handing it to one of the marines was a great trick. i miss the mean, beefy recoil the plasma weapons had in the first game. even though the plasma weapons were pretty much shit, they just felt good to use. now, they're like shooting BB's . no recoil at all. makes them feel exaggeratedly weak.

man, i should start doing long replies to political threads. but you know what? i feel like there's nothing i can do about politics. i'm a pussyfist when it comes to politics. i aint got no power to fight the power. and i respect the status quo.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    "All studios need to live by this code: Under promise, over deliver."

Like all the Metal Gear Solids.
    Don't just practice. Also Practice the right things, the right way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast