Art: Sculpey + paint thinner + oven = bad? (Dec 12 - Update: Finished - bottom of post)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sculpey + paint thinner + oven = bad? (Dec 12 - Update: Finished - bottom of post)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sculpey + paint thinner + oven = bad? (Dec 12 - Update: Finished - bottom of post)

I've been wanting to do a larger scale sculpey maquette for a while now, and it fit into a recent school assignment, so after being inspired (and eternally gratefull for) smellybug's tutorial, I have this.

Detail shot:

I haven't baked it yet. The thing is, I used some mineral spirits/paint thinner stuff to smooth it out a little, which worked wonderfully. My only concern is what will happen to it when I bake it. It's been a few days, and I've washed it peripherally with some water, so I think most of the paint thinner has evaporated, but I just want to make sure it won't melt/release toxic fumes/destroy the universe when I cook it.

Am I being paranoid or are there any legitimate concerns you can think of before I go ahead and put it in the oven?

Thanks in advance,
    -mouse

Last edited by Moccomouse; December 12th, 2004 at 02:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As long as the MS has had time to evaporate (which honestly, in the amounts you should be using, should be a couple of hours, tops) there's nothing to worry about. Also, you can bake Sculpy at at even lower oven temp than in the instructions and still have it harden.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's not like I immersed it in a bathub full of paint thinner.
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll post an update when I bake/paint it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have never tried this technique before but one of my instructors at school said that we could boil our maquettes if baking is not an option. you used sculpey, right? well, if you do choose to try this technique i suggest that you try boiling one that doesn't really matter to you, just in case. i don't think boiling it would create total annihalation at your place, but don't take my word for it.

www.npagan.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have little to no experience w/ sculpey, but could you try a dry run maybe? (no pun intended)

maybe slather some on a strip of sculpey at varying amounts and bake and see?

edit: oops, didn't mean to resurrect an old thread... many apologies if that goes against common practice... heh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use 90% alcohol all the time on my sculpts and bake them without any issues. You should be fine. I also bake my at a lower temp (230 degrees at 30 minutes).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard from other students that if you leave it in the sun (in the car) it will bake it. I don't know if that would work for a piece that looks as big as this does, but it essentially bakes it a lot slower. Never tried it though, so I don't know if it really works (it was probably done in the summer when it was hot in the car as well).
    BTW, this scupture looks pretty cool. Would love to see it finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mocco,
    I usually use lighter fluid for smoothing sculpey and have put it in the oven in as little as 10 minutes after I've used it (the stuff evaporates almost immediately). I am only baking at 200 degrees for several hours and have had no problems and have never burned anything. I will admit though the first time I used it, I was pretty nervous and watched it like a hawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: finished sculpture, fully painted (acrylics).
    Again, thanks for allaying my fears, this is the first time I've made something out of sculpey on this scale.

(original concept sketch)

And my art teacher was convinced anything I made out of sculpey bigger than a few inches would crack and break. Ha!

Last edited by Moccomouse; December 11th, 2004 at 09:23 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.