Thanks

Woman in Cave--Need Help

Name:  resized quiet dignity.png
Views: 546
Size:  449.1 KBName:  RS_quietDignity_4.png
Views: 544
Size:  441.5 KB
    I have always wanted but always struggled to be able to move from working traditionally with pencil and the like to painting over it digitally. I made the grayscale image with pencil and water-based brush markers. After scanning it in and trying various things, I spent the last day experimenting, and came up with the image on the right. I dunno. The color doesn't excite me, the values have strayed, and I'm frustrated with how long it took to get even to here, especially since I see so many videos where they just slap on color like magic. I'm aware of Gradient maps, but I use Sai, and want to work in a manner closer to traditional. I do this for fun, not profit. And they don't seem to need them in the tutorials I've seen.

The one lead I've sort of seen is that maybe my values are problematic. When I have time, I'll probably take some images I like, cast them to grayscale, and try to apply color as a learning exercise.
    The other thing is that maybe medium isn't terrible conducive to the translation? The texture from the paper, markers, and pencil may be getting in my way, but then I've always the maybe the texture could work as a positive somehow.

Any feedback or tips is appreciative.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Also, it's not quite that blurry irl, I just had to downsize the images like crazy to meet the size requirements. Maybe I shoulda posted jpgs instead of pngs? I dunno.

Thanks
    I think a huge issue is simply missing knowledge and mileage. In digital Media, because you can choose almost any colour, the personal limits become much more clear very fast. You say your colours don't excite you. But that's to what you chose and how you applied it. There's a thousand ways on how to step it up. And I don't think the issue is about the traditional base. Could some of the values and the structure be better beforehand? Very likely. But the texture or anything isn't the problem. I really put it down to learning more. Especially about colour and light to give it more punch in that area. Mixing the local colours more up, playing with warm and cold contrasts could do wonders. Visual Hierarchy is also a topic to spend deeper thought on.
    So, it comes down to the good old learning process and keep going. You are on your way, but we just can't except to get everything right this quickly

Thanks
    Hello there,

If you are having trouble with color, reduce the size of your image and work in tiny thumbnails for color tests (lots of them). This will allow you to try many more different color combinations without getting burnt out. If it looks good small, it will look great in bigger sizes.

Also how are you using layers? Are you using your pencil drawing as lineart on top of regular color layers or are you putting your color layers on top and multiplying/overlaying them? There might be other ways that work better with what you would like to achieve, maybe using textured brushes. Lastly, embrace that it's a pencil drawing and don't stress over making it look digital.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    You should focus more structure, proko is good resource for it also loomis, also skulls are always worth to study, dont forget to do some life drawing still lifes are easiest to start.