Thanks

How to solve this problem?

I've been told that my drawings have this sort of "bad vibe" that ruins the art. When I see my art, I can too, feel the bad vibe but I don't know where it's coming from?

Name:  djdj.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  150.3 KB
    Name:  raaaaa3.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  223.8 KB
    Name:  WOOP1.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  244.1 KB
    Name:  WOOP1.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  244.1 KB
    Name:  WOOP3.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  53.2 KB

Please tell me the other parts that are lacking in these 4 drawings. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Did you ask what "bad vibes" mean? Because I don't. That said, your pictures lack any sense of composition or story telling. Visual information is scathered all over the place without any system or guidance, colors are equally random, making it hard to tell what's going on (and no, if that is intended, it's not how you should do it).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bad vibes can mean a lot in combination with your subject matter.... But yeah, right now, it's pretty much unappealing on almost all levels. I don't mind dark, edgy stuff in itself, but I rather look at it with some thought through aesthetics. At the moment it's sloppy in execution, a wild mix of colours and textures. Some parts feel more like you wanted try a newly discovered Photoshop function than a deliberate choice. I can't even tell what I see on the second image. I'm sorry if all of this is sounding very harsh, but something is needed to find a positive connection to the art. Learning and applying artistic fundamentals is a big one if you want to sell these kind of images to your audience

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, I see the problem now (the colours and textures). What do you mean by positive connection to the art?

Thanks
    I just mean it in a way that you need something that catches the attention of the audience and motivates them to keep on viewing. Something that is not being irritated by technique or similar. (except you want to be remembered for evoking negative emotions... but that might not be helpful in the long run. depending on what your goals are). Think of guys like Giger or Beksinksi.. you can easily do dark and odd stuff, but even if one dislikes the subject, they can least admire the aesthetic. Art has so many layers playing together, some can be used to speak to the viewer

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i think #2 and #4 aint that bad ... but im irritated. the body on #2 is pretty well drawn compared to the rest, it doesnt make at all sense to me. if you did infact draw the body, id consider focusing on that for a bit if you wanna make some coin out of art... at least for a while.

in general your stuff feels unpleasantly unsettling. like a weird, disrupting, post-modern trip alongside alice to somewhere i really dont wanna be.
    especially #1 ... its really badly executed from my picture-making point of view, yet somehow i keep wondering what it is about.

maybe i just had a beer too much, but i think theres some a lot of raw energy there, because you dont seem to care much for whats popular. i dont like it now, but if you need to tell something, do it.

im officially confused by that read...
    Last edited by sone_one; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:24 PM.
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    if you wanna do representational art this video aint usefull at all... if you wanna do conceptual art, everything goes, i guess.

[edit] i cant really put my finger on why, but i keep wondering what #1 is about.[/edit]
    Last edited by sone_one; 1 Week Ago at 05:53 PM.
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Ha ha! Sorry about the confusion. I suppose I should clarify the reason I posted it. I look at this work and try to think of why anyone would make something like this, and in my mind, the only reason I'd make this kind of stuff is if I was trying to express some kind of internal pain. The video is to help with that kind of pain.

Maybe I'm wrong. If so, hooray!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    Truthfully, #1 was only a depiction of me and my imaginary friends. I didn't really thought much about how the end product would appeal to the viewers, which some of you mentioned. And other factors like the color, harmony and the like. Which I really appreciated since I wanted to improve.

It also wasn't my intention to express internal pain by making these sort of stuff. I merely did it because it made me happy? And I wanted to share bits of myself in any work I made. It's funny, because I never once thought of my work as dark and edgy or somewhere I didn't want to be in.

Thanks
    assuming youre the red guy... why is your imaginary s/m-robot-friend covering your eyes?

{edit] and whats up with the cutlery?[/edit]
    Glen Orbik

Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Haha. He's not a robot; we're all wearing venetian masks based on our personalities. The (robot looking) guy's the most logical person and helps me with important decisions. He's covering my eyes just so he acts like my brain.

The cutlery are just fun symbolism thrown around. Bern (the female at the left) is the most violent of the group. She acts without thought; that's why she's got the most forks and a knife tucked in her ear. The guy at the very right has the stuff tucked in his pocket because he's the kindest person in the group even though he's usually the butt of most the jokes we made.

Funnily enough they did questioned my design choices for how creepily stupid they looked. It was supposed to be a fun party after all.

Thanks
    where do you want to go with your art? who are your idols?
    Glen Orbik

Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    I wanted to be a game character designer (and a game scenario writer if that did/did not work). As for idols... I don't have anyone to look up to in particular.