Thanks

Edo Blanco's Sketchbook (open to criticism and feedback!)

Hi! I'm Edgar Blanco, Spanish boi that started drawing "quite late".
    I've been drawing for almost 3 years now, having started with 19 and being now 22, and my goal is to become a concept artist/character designer.
    Right now I'm mainly focused on improving my anatomy and perspective, (I dont mean that I mastered the other fundamentals already, but first thing first?)
    That's why maybe you dont see those things here hahahaha.
    Name:  ojoduro 1.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  470.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  434.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  338.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  407.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1530.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  472.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1545.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  328.8 KB

Name:  caras.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  324.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 953 Posts
    Welcome Edgar! Your work shows potential. If you want to be a character designer, study a lot of real people and animals. (Maybe you're already doing that but just didn't post them yet.) I started my art education around the same age as you so you're not alone .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot! I did some quick figure drawings today, not the best, I know. I have to work on my lines and gesture(amongst other things), they look really stiff.
    And thanks for the advice! I'll get to draw animals as soon as I get an OK undestanding of the human body hahaha.
    Name:  figure2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  338.4 KB

Name:  figure.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  291.9 KB

Thanks
    hey Edgar!
    Welcome to the forum! Seems like a good start so far. It's good to have clear goals and knowing which things on focus on. As you go on it will be more easy to give you detailed critiques, right now I'd like to see more first, to get a deeper impression.

just an overall thing to keep in mind: There are only very verynfew positions where people work as just a Character Artist. As Concept artist you usually need to be more versatile - you can aim to be a Jack of all trades, but Master of one - if characters are the thing you enjoy most. that might more realistic than aiming for the jobs only the truly exceptional or lucky people get. that shoulnd't influence you negativly in your studies, just keep your mind open for all kinds of topics.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Julia! First of all, you art is gorgeous and I would love to see a MTG Card illustrated by you, If you havent done it yet!.
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm also interested in illustration but I dont see myself capable of doing something worth showing right now hahaha.

I'm also struggling with investing time in my stuff, I kinda get tired of them really quickly and I like to work really fast and produce a lot(not that I do that hahaha).
    Seeing your art I can tell that you really invest hours on each piece and I would like to know If you could give me any advices on patience and on that fear of polishing a sketch.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by EdoBlanco; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:36 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  figurapunch.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  120.0 KB

Thanks
    No, I haven't done any MTG yet. Still have to work some more to reach that goal. But thank you for you encouragement!
    Regarding the advice you're asking for... I'm afraid patience works like a muscle. It's something you have to train to get used to. Bit by bit spending more time on pieces that might be worth it. Don't need to do it in one sitting, you can even work on a bunch of things. Just return and return and return to a piece. If you think it's done the first time, think further ahead and push your boundaries. Doing studies of things that have a level of finish you enjoy could be helpful as well. But as you see, no real secrets. just sitting down and at times fighting down your inner demons while painting.

Thanks
    I'm glad that patience works like a muscle because that means I can train it and it's not something you are just born with it or not hahahahha. Thanks again for the good advice.

Thanks
    Keep the good work, Los dibujos gestuales estan quedando muy bien, te recomiendo un libro que te ayudara a mejorar tu figura humana: Figure Drawing: Design and Invention de Michael Hampton.
    "Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself"
    Instagram -- Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

Thanks
    Gracias! Justo tengo ese libro y junto a How To Draw de Scott Roberson, van a ser mis biblias.