Thanks

Oliver_Tsujino: Sketchbook/Blog

Hi I'm Oliver

After year fearing of showing work to others. I've finally had the urge and courage to share more, and therefore i have decided to start my first sketchbook thread on this forum and to share some of my artistic endeavors with you in hopes for feedback. Furthermore to meet new artist's and be part of the creative community.

I very much welcome any feedback or thought's and will do at most best to return any requested or wanted critique, whenever possible or appropriate from whoever wishes it.

Artstation-https://www.artstation.com/oliver_tsujino

Thanks you and enjoy..

-Oliver

For This weeks post thought i'd might kick things off with a study of materials. This study was based from an assignment from Jonathan Hardesty Schoolims Course on Painting Textures. Starting with painting iron and creating weathering to give a rusted effect and quality.
    Had great fun painting it and learning the qualities of iron.

Name:  2019_05_Iron_study.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  155.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	769 
Size:	397.5 KB 
ID:	2317806
    Last edited by OliverTsujino; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:11 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ウナ人 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hello Oliver, ive been expecting you
    Name:  img20190405_20341308.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  122.6 KB

Thanks
    Ayyy, he's done it! Good job on starting a sketchbook here. Small critique on the rust study, since it's the only thing here yet. It feels a bit flat, try to really exagerrate lines near the sides to show that they wrap around the form. Also keep in mind that the part of the ball that we are looking straight at is relatively small, this will be a bit hard to explain in text but I'ma try. The side of the ball are wrapping away from us, on like 2cm of horizontal space near the edges, will be as much distance covered as maybe 6cm of the middle of the ball. Do you understand what I mean? So as the sphere wraps there should be more information and variation, that can also help in making it look a bit more 3-dimensional. Looking forward to your future posts.

Thanks
    Coool.. yeah i think i kinda got gist of what you mean. but if you have anything visual suggestions that be awesomeness... always thanks so much for your help.

I gonna do my best by starting small and try posting at least once or twice a weekly.

Thanks
    Attachment 2317924

A work in progress concept sketch of an abandoned train station; giving photo texturing a go.

Need to work on my value structure again after mainly been working on building form by sketching.
    Any tips or suggestions most welcome.

Name:	2019_05_TrainTracks_painting_01.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	2317946
    Last edited by OliverTsujino; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    Processing...x

Reworking an old painting from a year ago for practise.

Thanks
    Sorry that explanation was horrible This is what I mean, which one looks more rounded? The top one looks flat because the details are spread even, if in this case this was a surface that was rotating away from us, near the edges the amount of information will increase. Let me know if that's clear now Good to hear you plan to upload often!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Few things to keep in mind for the environment, the textures and photobashing are nice but it can take away from the overall construction of the image, it's best to get a very solid foundational sketch/drawing down and then put the textures over so that it's easy to make sure the perspectives keep matching. To me it seems for this one you went in quite quickly with photos and textures and after a while you lost a bit of track of the vanishing points. So I'll just tell you my favourite word: Grids! Also some other small things, try to get a clear fore- mid- and background. The lighting is also a bit all over the place, you have these lights coming from the ceilings and from the big windows, probably on both sides of the building, but then you're also putting in really strong cast shadows, near the figures for instance, making the lighting a bit all over the place.

Either go with a super well lit environment with so much ambient lighting that there wont be any hard shadows, or give yourself a clear lightsource from 1 direction and render the image from there, for instance I adjusted it somewhat to the main light coming in from the windows on the right.

Also some small storytelling things, the guy exploring is walking, but the dog is sat down? The storytelling with the guy on the train is super unclear. If he is guarding something (why is he standing on a train) and the dude with the dog is not supposed to be there, then make the guy crouched behind something looking at the guard sneakily. Right now it seems like there should be some sort of tension between the two characters based on their appearance and positions, but theyre just calmly looking at one another, the dog also doesnt seem to care much. So just some things to keep in mind about the story and what it is you're trying to tell.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    Yo @Dennis, once again thanks, for in-depth feedback and tips/ suggestions to push my work.

Looks like values and bit perspective is something ill need to be working on more this summer, so i appreciate your in-depth thoughts.
    Gonna see what adjustments i could make.

Hope your learning lots at your internship.

Views:	409 
Size:	478.0 KB 
ID:	2318008

Views:	406 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	2318007

Thanks
    Love those last two pieces, the color one has some very nice lighting going on, dapple light is so sexy. I definitely am learning, its actually crazy how much Ive improved in these last few days alone Hope to share sometime next week on my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanks man, and that's great. Btw do you have a thoughts about what res you like to work and save images. some monitors the painting looks sharper and other times looks pixelated as hell

Thanks
    Unless i maybe having eye problems lol

Thanks
    Experimenting with portrait process looking at Reilly Method and influence by Nathan Fowkes.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	2318129

Thanks
    Trying out different sketching styles. and working out a process that feels most comfortable to me and reads.

Would be great to hear how you guys like create your sketches to make them clear to the viewer.

Views:	278 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	2318193

Thanks
    This time trying out a Hybrid sketching style with a portrait

Views:	266 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	2318194

Thanks
    Nice work on that portrait, when using the construction methods make sure that you draw that first to create a standard/average head, and then change things slightly to match the model. I think it's good to try and go for likeness from your reference when studying these methods because then you can see how real people alter from them in slight ways. Here's my quick take on the reference you used, your portrait is nice but it doesnt really look like the reference much, I also wouldn't bother with rendering if you're just trying to study construction methods, rather do loads of these construction, one should only take like 5 min and then you can do loads in the same time as one rendered one. Also try and not study all over the place, I know you feel this pressure to get better at everything, but if you don't take your time to really understand something in depth before you've already moved on to the next thing, it's not gonna stick. So if you're gonna practice faces and their construction, do loads of them, or if you're gonna study sketching styles and how to convey information simplified, try out loads of different techniques and try to apply each to your own lifedrawing for instance. You have a tendency to go so quick that I think it's not sticking as much than if you would take a bit more time.

For sizes of images on here you mean? I usually stick with 1100-1200 px for biggest side.

Thanks
    @Dennis

Thanks dude as always i really appreciate the feedback. Totally get what you mean dude, I have tendency to jump around alot because of i tend to struggle working on one thing at a time due to possibly lack of direction. and maybe because trying to tackle expose my weaknesses so i can get clear understanding what i may need to improve on most and if there are similar issues in each piece i create. I think i have some kind of limited attention spam to things haha.. But i definitely work on trying to slow down more.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OliverTsujino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    welcome to the fray、 人間君 

Thanks
    My Attempt to capture the feeling of leyendecker

Views:	80 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	2318715

Thanks
    Something I've been struggling through past few days