Thanks

Prop concept | Sci-fi turret

Hi guys!

This is my first post here.. and the first real prop concept that I've done. I realized quite recently that I want to become a professional prop artist (mainly sci-fi) so I've threw all myself into it.
    I struggle a little bit with perspective and objects overlying with others and I find going deep in details so frustrating sometimes.

At the moment I don't know how to properly set up the process on screen and I don't feel very confident in general.. SO I'm here to get some critiques from you to (finally) improve myself as I wish and, in the future, enter in the industry.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Welcome.
    If you're working only digitally to prevent object overlap: make a larger canvas, use multiple layers, lasso and move things if you have to.
    While knowing fundamental perspective is important, another advantage of digital is implementing 3d in the process, even if it's just using the basic background grid, Or create 3d basic geometry trace with a grease pencil tools, or export the scene and overpaint in preferred 2d software. That way you're not wasting time fixing perspective issues, you can just jump into creation.

As for the idea itself, you're process sketches are more identifiable as to what the purpose of the prop is.
    Because your 3 final sketches are so close together, it's unclear what sketch the side action arrows correspond to.

Why does a fixed turret have a speaker? Why is the motion detector only on one facing if the laser can fully rotate?
    Think of the proportions and visual hierarchy, the laser seems like such a small part of the whole prop, and most of it seems to be sensors, I'd imagine the laser is a scanner rather than a weapon. If it's intended to be menacing, then consider the scale of all the parts and which you want to the dominant feature.

If you're unfamiliar with how mechanical things work, do studies. Take a look at robot manufacturing arms, remote turrets on military vehicles.
    Most of the time the rotational pivot is on the bottom not the top, so that all the hinges connected to it have a greater range of motion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    Welcome.
    If you're working only digitally to prevent object overlap: make a larger canvas, use multiple layers, lasso and move things if you have to.
    While knowing fundamental perspective is important, another advantage of digital is implementing 3d in the process, even if it's just using the basic background grid, Or create 3d basic geometry trace with a grease pencil tools, or export the scene and overpaint in preferred 2d software. That way you're not wasting time fixing perspective issues, you can just jump into creation.
    Thank you for welcoming me here, InfernoKing!
    I have to admit that I usually spend a lot of time trying to adjust and fix the perspective problems that I have, so I waste so much energy that I could spend into the real creative process. I've already considered using 3D and I will use it for my next project, so thank you to have rememberred me this method

As for the idea itself, you're process sketches are more identifiable as to what the purpose of the prop is.
    Because your 3 final sketches are so close together, it's unclear what sketch the side action arrows correspond to.
    Yes. I've not figured out how I should put the creative steps on the screen yet. I mean: how do I put together all the sketches and exploration etc to make my workflow/process clear to clients? I realised the second after I finished this concept that was very confusing. I saw other artists put only one or two exploration sketches and then the polished concept, so the process itself come out very clear. BUT is it a good way to present the work you've done? How clients understand how your workflow is if you show only some part of it?

Why does a fixed turret have a speaker? Why is the motion detector only on one facing if the laser can fully rotate?
    Think of the proportions and visual hierarchy, the laser seems like such a small part of the whole prop, and most of it seems to be sensors, I'd imagine the laser is a scanner rather than a weapon. If it's intended to be menacing, then consider the scale of all the parts and which you want to the dominant feature.

If you're unfamiliar with how mechanical things work, do studies. Take a look at robot manufacturing arms, remote turrets on military vehicles.
    Most of the time the rotational pivot is on the bottom not the top, so that all the hinges connected to it have a greater range of motion.
    During the process I also realised that I don't know how to manage properly the background story that I put after every sketch or concepts that I make. It should emerge from the prop shape, aesthetic and stuff. I see a lot of concept art sheets without any explanation and I want to achieve that shape and background story language but still I don't really know how to express the things that I want to say.

Thank you so much for the advices, it means a lot!