Thanks

Automate image resizing

Yo,
    Does anyone know of a handy app for resizing a whole bunch of files to the same size? Or an easy way to do it in Photoshop? I'm happy enough to create actions, but since there's loads of them, would rather find a way to do it without having to individually open each of the files..
    Cheers,
    DC

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if you have windows XP, here is some useful things... i use the image resizer... and there are also other windows things.... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Thanks
    In Photoshop, create an action to size the image. Open the images to be sized, go to file/automate/batch and select Open Files. Smack the button and have a sip of coffee.

Thanks
    Chukw, I am in your debt. Donkeyslayer, I have a Mac - but I'm sure someone else will find that useful as well

Thanks
    =] no problemo. i use the XP resizer. all you have to do is select the images, right click then resize them (to the apropriate size..) easy as pie =].

Thanks
    This looks like some info I could have used a while back, but I dont know how to creat an Action. Can anyone help me out in that department? -ink
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks

Lightbulb

I.was.ink ?? Of all people I would think you'd be a master at the little bells n whistles of photoshop

Interface :
    Automate image resizing fig.1
    Photoshop will record almost anything you'll do while the 'record' button is lit. Almost everything as it won't record your brushstrokes, but anything else (keyboard shortcuts, selection area, unselect, move, turn, fill, save as, crop, go up one layer, hide layer, transparency, layer mode, go down a layer, etc.)

So start by bringing up your Actions tab. If you can't find it anywhere, go to Window -> Actions.
    You may create a new Set of actions (fig.1), and then create a new action in that Set - or folder.
    As soon as an action is created, the recording starts
    In my example, the last action was made to convert 24bits images into 4bits images with a pre-defined palette.
    To do so, I took one of my files, created a new action and started to do my changes as it recorded.
    Once finished, you NEED to click on the Stop icon so it stops recording

Actions are really handy when you need to do the same exact change on more than one layer, or on more than one document. As an animator, I often time need to change something on a lot of frames wether they are in one PSD or in 200 files. It can go from changing the color 255,0,255 to black or turn everything 34,5 degrees CCW, do a color treatment AND animated text layer for 150 separate instances of text (real stories), etc. The complexity of your actions is up to you, but I would advise simple ones at first.
    Always make a backup of the files you're doing a batch pass on If there is a small mistake in one of your actions, you won't be able to go back. And mistakes WILL happend !

Try it around, work with it and it's great for anything that needs either exact precision for a lot of changes or stupid repetitive monkey work you don'T feel like spending 5 hours doing.

If someone has a question on the feasability of a certain thing you'd like to do, don't hesitate to ask.

Edit :
    Here's what happends when you forget to click the stop button :
    Automate image resizing fig.2
    You end up with an action that's 45 miles long !!!

An other thing I forgot, you can tell your action to open a dialog box on some instances in your action. Clicking the pointed empty square space as in fig.2, and when playing this action, photoshop will open the adequate dialog box. For example, a "save" instance in your action will open the save dialog box so you can change the name/filetype/etc of your image.
    Last edited by egerie; November 9th, 2004 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks
    hey thanks for the tips egerie, very useful.
    - Miau

<<<sketchbook >>>
    <<<gallery >>>>>>