Thanks

Cherry (C&C Welcome)

Hi. I would love some feedback on this piece. First impressions, thoughts, critique, red lines, etc. all is welcome. My goal for this piece was not 100% realism but a balance between realistic and stylized (exaggerated) features. My idea is that the figure is standing in a surreal space under red / pinkish hue light.

Name:  Cherry_web2.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  61.5 KB

My process
    Name:  process_web.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  88.5 KB

Reference / Inspiration
    Name:  ref.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  31.7 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I like the colors and rendering, but your method shows, at least to me. I was immediately recognizing that "flow" of color, that only happens if you add color to a b/w picture. It's hard to explain, but basically it's, as if drawn with strongly thinned water color on top of a pencil. Not saying that's a bad thing, but in general, it also implies that less thought was put into using color as a means of defining features and rendering itself. Now I'm only pointing this out because I'm assuming you're trying to push use of color but maybe struggle finding out how. Something I've come to understand is, that color is more appealing when it dominates. Which means, it carries as much as possible. For example, if the render is less defined by value and more by distinction of colors, or if the composition is greatly carried by color (for example, keeping everything in yellows and green, then set focus by adding reds).

Aside from that, "James Gurney - Color and Light" might be a good read, in case you don't know about it.

As for the render itself: If you analyze the reference, you can see a slight indication of her collarbone, set very high. Also, the lightning seems to be very much frontal. With a little advanced thinking, this leads me to the conclusion that she stretches her head forward quite a bit. This is how the stronger shadow appears below her chin.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,071 Posts
    In addition to White Rabbit's comment, I suggest you do colour studies of simple objects, single light source in a shadow cabinet, to improve your understanding of colour in light and shadow.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post: