Thanks

An ebiful sketchbook

A sketchbook full of ebi's sketches and doodles.

This creepy looking horse thing (I think it's a Rody? painted from a picture) basically sums up where I am in my art journey
    (done with cheap kid's gouache and watercolour, which are my daily doodle go-to art supplies for now).
    Name:  weeesmall.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  54.9 KB

And here's a Spoka from life in oils:
    Name:  spokasmall.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  70.0 KB

I hate doing studies at the moment, but I also realize that I need to do them if I want to improve, so that's what I'll be working towards.

My motto is to at least draw/paint every day whether it's low effort, high effort, from life, a picture, studies, my imagination or just messing with brush strokes etc. so as not to kill the 2% of creative spirit I have left in me. So what I post on here will probably vary a lot, depending on my current mood.

At the end of May I hope to get a bunch of wooden/Styrofoam shapes to practice the fundamentals of drawing with.
    I really hope the simple shapes will help me get perspective in real life, because so far... I've never been able to get even close to mastering that.
    Somewhere during the summer holiday I want to start playing with oils more.

In the mean time I'll just stick to my motto, slowly adding a bit more life drawing and maybe some Loomis again.
    Last edited by ebi; 5 Days Ago at 08:52 AM. Reason: clearly I don't know how attachments work... please stand by as I figure it out.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Slowly starting with Loomis again.
    For now I'm using graph paper to get a feel for proportion etc.
    Will update this post throughout the day.

edit: I think I'll cycle through the book at a relatively quick pace, just so I can give every exercise/drawing a go and have a sort of "blue print" in my head.
    And then a month or two later I'll go through the book again, but at a slower pace, focusing on problem areas (probably everything in the beginning ) etc.

Name:  loomis1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  41.1 KB Name:  loomis2.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  47.8 KB
    Last edited by ebi; 5 Days Ago at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Only had three hours of sleep today so no studies, just...doodling and *trying* to vaguely implement some things I've learned in the past...badly.

I've started a perspective class on bluprint (formerly known as craftsy).
    The first exercise is to make a line drawing of a painting by Fede Galizia, taking into account how each object in the painting takes up its space.
    I just quickly went over it, so I'll most likely come back to this exercise a few more times...

Name:  fruitbowl.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  27.4 KB

And a vague attempt at people. Half from reference, half doodle. I know it's crap (and this is the last time I'll say that because, trust me, if you're aware it's crap, I'm definitely aware it's crap, but sometimes you just have to doodle ).
    Tomorrow I'll pick up some studies again. My brain is just too fried today

Name:  people.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  peoples.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  21.4 KB

Thanks
    It's great that you're doing studies, drawing at least a little everyday, and going through Loomis, but if I were you I would study each individual section or part of the body a little in depth and still doing a bunch of life studies and Loomis also on the side if you want to learn anatomy stuff. For example, if you want to learn how to draw faces, first draw a few faces before you do studies without reference, spend a few days or a week doing a bunch of studies and watching videos on faces to learn the muscles, parts, and anatomy, practice drawing faces from many angles with (at first) and without reference, and after you're done with that draw and shade faces without reference to see you're improvement : ). Just a suggestion for what worked for me, so you don't have to do exactly what I did. I'm looking forward to see what you post in the future also :>.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaulta For This Useful Post:

ebi

Thanks
    Thanks so much for dropping by

I like your approach and it's similar to what I have in mind... but I'm not quite ready for in depth studies at the moment (I kind of burnt myself out 4-5 years ago by limiting myself to ONLY doing studies, and I didn't pick up a pencil to draw again until a few months ago).

Right now my focus is just having fun and dipping my toes into whatever I find interesting (whilst doing some casual studies on the side). I'm not exactly in a rush.
    But once I'm ready for more in depth studies, I will give your approach a go!

For now, just see my crappy doodles as singing in the shower ;-)
    (whilst also casually taking singing lessons on the side, so in theory, in time my doodles should improve).
    I just post them so when I look back I can see my progress, and because I still want to get into the habit of drawing every day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ebi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,876 Times in 2,584 Posts
    Better any kind of study than no study at all. Be careful to find the acceptable balance between studies and fun time drawings. As you saw anyone can fall easily into trap to put too much burden on their selves with doing too much study and accepting art drawing and painting as a must, which is in some cases a crucial or fatal for someones further art career. Draw when you feel like drawing, do studies somewhere between, mix it up cause variety is a spice of life. Keep on going don't stop no matter if you go 10 or 100 miles an hour, you just never stop.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for that. That's exactly my sentiment. While of course I'd like to reach an advanced level, I don't have a strict time line to "get good" at the moment, I'm just happy when I can get some time to draw and just explore.

It's funny that you mentioned never stopping. My previous sketchbook was named "Too stubborn to stop" and that hasn't changed

As I progress and get a better understanding of things (and make some room for still life set ups), I'll probably gravitate more and more towards studies and so on.
    But in the mean time I will probably annoy the heck out of a lot of people by posting an endless supply of broken backs, hips and weird growths.
    I honestly hope there isn't an alternate universe out there where all my people come to life. *shudders*

-----------------

-------------------

-----------------

---------------

-----------------

Today and yesterday's doodling:

Name:  3people.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  34.0 KB

I included the amazon woman for laughs. I was like "I made a mannequin and everything, I know my drawings look off, but why does she in particular look SO OFF??"
    Then I got out Loomis and found out that the ideal person is 8 heads tall. So I focused a bit on that and I think the other three are a teeny tiny bit better?

I want to draw more simplified mannequins, but I think I should study perspective first, because I have the hardest time drawing people from any other pose than standing face forward (and even that is a challenge)..
    Very conveniently I found an old but still valid giftcard the other day, so I'll hit up my local art store for some styrofoam shapes soon.
    At some point I also want to try cast drawing....am I horrible for wanting a gargoyle to draw from life?

Here's today's attempt... I feel so sorry for my figures. Hopefully mastering perspective can fix it a little. P.S. I had to give all my figures "clothes" as this month I'm participating in a 100 people challenge on another forum, but
    they don't like their people nude in that particular thread.. so *shrug*

Name:  rainandwtf.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  26.3 KB

And a little watercolour doodle. I always thought Yes had an album cover full of floating islands...but now I can't find it.
    In any case, this is another doodle where I can see how an understanding of perspective could have helped me.

Name:  island.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  48.8 KB

And two more for today...I decided to just trudge on with the gestures. Maximum 5 minute gestures.

Name:  gestures1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  22.6 KBName:  gestures2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  21.6 KB

And at the end of the day I always need a pop of colour (yes I am aware of all of the flaws, yes I will work on them in the future ).

Name:  color.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  59.0 KB
    Last edited by ebi; 1 Day Ago at 05:03 PM.