Thanks

The life opportunities drawing provides

Hi there,

I had some free time in my hands tonight and decided to take a look at some art supplies I still kept in my room from the time I was actively trying to become a professional artist, which unfortunately never happened, I ended up taking another career for financial reasons out of my control. Altough I cannot say that I regret my choices, I caught myself wondering about the kind of opportunities I've renounced and couldn't come up with many things...

Since we all heard horror stories of good but starving artists, can we have some discussion about the good life opportunities that being a skillful artist can provide?

Thank you.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,748 Times in 4,648 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your question reminds me of something Adam Duff or Marco Bucci once said in a video (can't remember who specifically D: if someone wants to help me out).
    It's that everyone talks about failing as an artist, the risks, and the usual "what ifs", but people never really discuss/acknowledge the positives of being a working artist, which I think is pretty sad as there's so many great things about it depending on how you set yourself up for success with given resources.

To answer your question: Being able to fully invest yourself into your job and enjoy it is a huge plus. Being able to wake up and know you're creating for $$$ and for a living also feels pretty good lol. It creates a sort of feedback loop for me where I only want to practice my art more and more. With the internet especially, artists have so many more ways to get themselves out there and reach out to potential clients and niches. Related to that, we also have the huge opportunity to participate in online art communities and critique groups etc. not to mention online classes like Schoolism and Noah's art camp just to name a few...
    There's so much more that I probably haven't even thought of too

Thanks
    While robots are taking a lot of jobs, they still sort of suck at art and design.

On a more serious note, artists now more than ever, have the ability to freelance and/or start their own businesses, whether it's selling prints on Etsy, making a web comic, taking contract jobs etc. Not that I've tested this business model myself or that I'm even good enough to get into this.. But maybe someday.
    Last edited by cosmosaur; April 1st, 2019 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickStar View Post
    Your question reminds me of something Adam Duff or Marco Bucci once said in a video (can't remember who specifically D: if someone wants to help me out).
    It's that everyone talks about failing as an artist, the risks, and the usual "what ifs", but people never really discuss/acknowledge the positives of being a working artist, which I think is pretty sad as there's so many great things about it depending on how you set yourself up for success with given resources.
    Not sure if you mean this:

Its true people should talk more about failures and what they have learned from it. Negative things just get stuck in head lot easier than positive ones, have you ever read news, most of those are negative that's why I don't read those much anymore

Thanks
    Satisfying that itch to create that won't go away
    Well observed, in my case being an artist it's not like something I could throw away and forget about it, that need to create still exists and I'm figuring a way of fulfilling it...

While robots are taking a lot of jobs, they still sort of suck at art and design.
    The human race as a workforce is f*** lol...

I personally wonder how is like visiting museums or those places were you can find traditional pieces of art like the city squares in Italy, or the subways in Russia being an experienced artist and being able to study, comprehend and reproduce those works feels like, maybe some kind of connection to their creators?

On a more financial aspect, as you guys mentioned, as the internet evolves we get more and more ways of connecting to each other and in more different ways, that's resulting in the viabilization of new businesses that weren't possible before maybe due to the reduction of administration costs of communities that are now sprouting and organizing themselves spontaneously out of nowhere, like Patreon or Kickstarter where we have a group of people that are willing to invest in creators or projects directly and through these sites they can meet and get to know them, so I know that is completely possible today to have a project or a page that describe your work and with enough audience you can live out of it...

There's also those who develop content to software, like in the case of Blender, which is an awesome free 3DCG software that since aways had a strong community, but it's getting even better as the blender foundation started marketing user developed plugins, acelerating the development of their software as people are now getting paid for it...

Working with Patreon, Kickstarter or developing plugins for Blender means that you'll have much more freedom as an office employee for example, but a lot of freedom as an artist as well I believe, as you have control about what you create...
    Last edited by March0514s; April 3rd, 2019 at 07:31 PM.