Thanks

Can I have your critique, please…

Hi all. I have just picked up drawing again after many years of not touching a pencil. I bought a Wacom Intuos and was ready to start. But damn that is difficult, could even write my own name (well, still can't, but circles are getting rounder ). I have of course checked all kinds drawing out there, and found the results very mixed, so that made me want to come here, so you all can tell me where I am, and what to work on, because I find it very hard to review it myself. My goal is to start at graphic novel at some point.

Here are some of the drawings from the past three weeks. They are all 60 minutes exercises except the last one, that is 90 minutes.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nah, you're good. You're getting a nice line quality for a Wacom - especially if you're just starting out. Linework isn't easy in digital and beginners often draw pale and gray, or jittery and tentative.

I could see this working in a graphic novel.
    Draw more. Draw from reference. Draw on paper with a pencil. Do it every day. If you can't draw a good banana, how you going to draw a space marine?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to swcooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, swcooper, nice to hear from a knowledgeable Yes, starting with Wacom was difficult, almost frustrating, like starting all over or learning to draw with my left hand Now I just have to practice a lot, so I can begin to draw without reference.

Thanks
    I started posting my drawings on Instagram when I finished them, mainly to get them reviewed and get some critique, but that is clearly not the place for that. I am getting likes but mainly from people who just want to promote their own profile. But one image that does not get likes is this one, so can anyone here tell what is wrong with it?

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  232.8 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atmancomic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,064 Posts
    The pose is a little extreme, which is hard to get right, her legs look flattened by her body weight. Overall, I like it very much, you have a great style. Keep 'm coming!
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Yeah, the legs aren't good. Sometimes the real world is not what looks best Thanks for you comment.

Thanks
    Then a few more in the same style. I try to set a time limit for every drawing, to improve my focus on shape and the most important features, that is why they always look unfinished:

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  241.2 KBName:  17.jpg
Size:  232.6 KBName:  19.jpg
Size:  245.0 KB

Thanks
    Your art is wonderful, I wouldn't bother myself with what people like or don't like on instagram. It is a good tool to make yourself a platform for your art, but most people on insta don't really know good art from bad art. Some pages have more follows and likes basically because people see something addicting in it, perhaps aesthetic or relatability or humor, it nearly has nothing to do with artistic skill. (unless you actually draw like chicken dung of course)

Thanks
    You are right TheAmazingMisha, maybe I should start drawing super heroes and kittens with big eyes
    Thanks for your comment

Thanks
    Your girls are on a move, sweet and powerful. I want to see more from you. Keep going!

Thanks
    No problem Atmancomic! Social media is a struggle for all of us XD Best of luck!

Thanks
    There good. You mentioned having an insta?
    I'm the guy that does his job! You must be the other guy!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...73#post2633373 <- longest link to a sketchbook ever.
    http://thesketchersden.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    i like them, but im confused aswell. i really like your choices if it comes to reference and also most of the execution, but at the same time they are "photo-busy", which most of the time is an indicator for tracings. details you pick up because they are there, not because they need to be there.

i dont think theres anything wrong with tracing to get work done. but im also quite suspicious if it does much good for learning.

[edit] if they aint traced, your observational skills are good, move on to design [/edit]
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    You have a good start so far

Thanks
    Yo these look awesome

I know thats not really critique.

But they look awesome so...

Thanks
    You are right sone_one, I really am a sucker for details, and that is why I make most of these exercises with a time limit to learn to focus on the important details. I use grid when I draw, proportion is extremely important to me. Maybe one day I will be good enough to draw without grid, but right now I feel that I am still far from that.

Thanks
    The first one here, I did not give my self a time limit, and again using too much time on details that no-one can see anyway. The next two are 60 minutes and the last 90 minutes (should have been 60. Sorry sone_one, I am really trying to skip details )

Name:  23.1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  219.3 KBName:  23.2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  262.6 KBName:  24.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  236.1 KBName:  25.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  262.2 KBName:  26.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  206.0 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blueknightfox View Post
    There good. You mentioned having an insta?
    Hi blueknightfox. There is really not much too see, actually it is the same as here @atmancomic

Thanks
    I was asked if I could do a sexy poster, comic style (not manga), I have never tried that before, so of course I said YES So, here we are, first sketch, your opinion is as always very valued.

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  274.1 KB