Thanks

Help with Surfing Dog Logo

Hello,

I am brand new to the world of art as a whole. I never took any classes and the extent of my knowledge comes from online tutorials I’ve watched over the past month. It is a new and exciting journey for me and I am working towards eventually selling digital prints of my illustrations. I have decided I will name my art studio “Fin + Fetch Creations” which comes from my passion for surfing and dogs. I made this logo on Affinity Designer on my iPad and I need help on the following:

1. I want to give it a vintage feel. I realize it requires some texture but I do not know what direction to take with it

2. I realize it is not a bad looking drawing but it still feels very primitive and not very professional but I cannot put my finger on why

3. If there is any advice on anything from my art, to any tutorials I should check out, or anything you think would be beneficial to the start of my art journey, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your time!

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Your biggest issue is that your logo looks like generic vector clip-art. A big hit, especially if you're going for a vintage feel. Look up vintage logos, and you find a lot of bold type treatments, textures, and a very minimal selection of colors. There are too many examples, just google "vintage logos" and you'll see what I mean. You definitely need to have "Fin+Fetch Creations" somewhere on this logo, and have it as a major component of the design. The illustration itself should take the second seat. The name isn't really doing anything for me, but the concept of a dog on a surfboard is interesting enough. Although, when I think of something like that I imagine a radder design. The dog could be upright, tongue out, wearing sunglasses. That kind of thing.

TL;DR

1. The art looks like clip-art.
    2. Textures aren't the only thing that make up a vintage look. Strong typography and a minimalist color choice (one or two colors max) are a must.
    3. Your company name needs to be front and center. Maybe change the name.
    4. The dog on a surfboard could look cooler.

Thanks
    MattyT, thank you so much for your reply. I realize this looks very generic and bland. The I guess my question is, what components are missing aside from textures? I feel like I am missing some fundamental steps in the process that I simply don’t know about since I have never studied this. Do you have any tips or resources that might help my art or look so bland?

thanks again

Thanks
    Not really. There's no pill for it, other than drawing constantly and developing your brand through study. Drawing from life is the best way to do that. If you're looking for online resources to help you out, Drawbox, Proko, maybe Schoolism come to mind.

Thanks
    I think the big problem is it lacks attitude

Name:  cooldog.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  91.5 KB

There now it has attitude.

But for reals one thing thats really bugging me is the shadow. I feel the big thing in the background should be a lightsource and as such the shadow should be stretching towards us and not away.

Thanks
    I think if you're looking for vintage, you should look into making the dog slightly more realistic.
    For example, those two vintage-looking dog logos have an old drawing texture details to them, and the dog has
    very proportional features.
    Maybe also adjust the pose of the dog for it to look more natural

Help with Surfing Dog LogoHelp with Surfing Dog Logo