Thanks

LMX Environment Journey

Hey guys! Here's the topic about my environment design learning journey. I hope I'll get a lot of feedback during this adventure of learning the fundamentals of landscape painting/drawing!
    I'm doing this to switch a bit from my concept design tutorial assignements (I'll post it soon).

Amit Dutta Environment Week 1

As a start, It would introduce you to my first week of hard work with this amazing video from Amit Dutta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjoXg_oyRI
    Basically, he asks for 5 notan studies (Black/white) from existing artworks and5 other ones with 4 values (black - 2 shades of gray - white).

Name:  week1_notan_1.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  332.3 KBName:  week1_notan4values_1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  327.1 KB

After that, we have to draw 100 concept notan studies. The idea is to empty one's head and only think about general design and concept, drawing what comes in mind straight ahead, and avoid going for concrete idas like "city", "forest" or so. I could use a few composition rules to give a point to any thumbnail but without sticking too much to them.

Name:  week1_100thumbs_page1_1.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  255.1 KBName:  week1_100thumbs_page2_1.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  243.0 KBName:  week1_100thumbs_page4_1.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  226.1 KBName:  week1_100thumbs_page3_1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  202.5 KBName:  week1_100thumbs_page5_1.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  171.5 KB

Please critique ! :-)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You're posting too many images all at once. People get overwhelmed easily. Overwhelmed people can't help you.

You processed each of these images over a much longer span of time and have a familiarity with them that we just don't have. We're getting them all at once. It's a lot to take in all at one time.

That being said, I question the methods of these teachers of yours. Why start you with notan and then move directly into inventing scenes completely from imagination? As I understand, notan teaches you to simplify the design of a scene for composition purposes. It does not follow that one will know how to design a city just by studying the design concepts of noting amorphous shape and value.

That's not to say there's no value in what you're doing. There is. It just doesn't seem like good structuring for a sequence meant to instruct in a logical order.

They're basically just having you draw your own Rorschach test and you're supposed to rely on your sense of paredolia and wonderment. Again, all good things in their own right. I just don't know that the sequence works.

As always, this is just like,"my opinion" maaan.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    I'm interested to know does he teaches about what makes good design?? what is goal of that, making shapes correct or studying design???

Thanks
    Well, I'd not redo the tutorial that was already shared via this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbjo...youtu.be&t=792

Everything's explained by the env artist in question. Basically, notans help feed the design senses and focus on beauty for itself, without expecting too much of oneself with composition rules. It's just kind of the same exercise you do with silhouette character designs to focus your brain on the given design, and nohing else.

The notan studies on top are serving the same purpose, but more focused on "finding" these notans on existing artwork to understand "how"/"why" they work.

Concerning the feed of images, I couldn't post every single image I'm drawing as It's ment to be drawn in 1 week long. I'd be posting every day about my work and the result would be.. Well, exactly the same. The amount is basically the same either in any way That's why I'm already cutting the posts in weeks, and got other images in store that i'm not posting right now. The thing is, these images are shown a bit too large and not very easy to read, indeed. It would be better to see them in a smaller scale.

Thanks
    Cool studies! Sometimes I forget the value of working in only black and white and the the types of problem solving that comes with it. Thanks for sharing the vid, watching it right now

Thanks
    I would love to know more about your experience. How do you feel after doing 100 notan studies? Do you feel you have gotten something out of the course so far?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickStar View Post
    Cool studies! Sometimes I forget the value of working in only black and white and the the types of problem solving that comes with it. Thanks for sharing the vid, watching it right now
    NP mate and thanks !! :-p This guy got very cool stuff and it's completely free, so enjoy it :-p There are 6 environment design weeks in total, with proper assignments. You should check it out!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillendandie View Post
    I would love to know more about your experience. How do you feel after doing 100 notan studies? Do you feel you have gotten something out of the course so far?
    Overall, confidence really grown up. The more I did this, the more I got better ideas and overall understanding of the whole and pushed them further with better design. You can see the difference in quality from page 1 (22/100) to page 5. I think it's a very good exercise to warm-up before an environment session, to open up inspiration and creativity.