Thanks

Need some critique

I'm working on this piece and I think I accidentally made her pose too symmetrical. I'd like to know what you guys think and if you have any advice. I plan to tilt the leather bag more so it's not so square on, make her torso face a bit off, refine the shape of the cape, and work a bit more on the debris. Thanks!

Name:  colwip12.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  182.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great work, I don't think there's anything wrong with symmetry, especially when you're introducing a Character, which I assume what you painting is.

She's slightly off center and her feet reaches an tangent with the bottom of the canvas, which makes it harder to spot her feet compared to the overall canvas. If you zoom out whilst painting or flip the canvas on occasion, it'll be easier to see the painting as a whole. Also the light on her face is not as intense as the explosion behind, a shame as her facial expression to me is a key of the painting.

Overall very good job with material rendering and solid brush work.
    Name:  Portrait2.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  148.9 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aotix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome, I see the problems with the contrast and framing now. Thank you so much for the critique and paintover, it helps a lot!

Thanks
    She feels like a posed doll to me. Her body language could communicate her experience of the world better. Also the lighting on her person reminds me of studio lighting. Maybe that's just me. I feel like the lighting could communicate the atmosphere and emotion of her environment better.

Very good work though. Don't mistake my criticism as a lack of appreciation for the other more excellent aspects. I'm just tossing some ideas out there.
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribbly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah I agree, that's sort of what I'm trying to solve with breaking the symmetry a bit. The studio lighting thing was quite intentional, because it's a character commission for someone's character so it was important for all her local colors to show and stuff; but i'll see if I can make it feel less artificial, maybe by introducing a narrower falloff point. I'll try to push her gesture a bit so that it doesn't feel so doll like. Thanks for the crits

9. The Following User Says Thank You to astrapho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think it looks great, nice job!