Thanks

I need serious help with processes... (Critique too)

(I'm new here.)

Been painting a lot these past weeks but noticed that my process or results in the end is pretty far off on what I initially intended. It's been happening in the past but I thought then "its part of the process" (still not sure if it is), this leading to often scrapping the work when its starting to look like crap (most of the time).

Results are often bad but sometimes I like it yet seeing the crappy process annoys me and makes sad.

Is it because I'm lacking fundamentals and mileage?(probably both huge problems too) or having just a bad process?

AND SHOULD I DITCH THE BRUSHES?

Short critiques are fine with me and its okay to not sugarcoat it, I don't mind really.
    I've never asked anyone for critiques,ever. I just compare my works with the pros I see online, but I think its not enough anymore.

Here's are the latest examples:
    Name:  STAR FINISHED face 3.png
Views: 550
Size:  465.7 KB

More here - https://imgur.com/a/USoGKUk
    (posted it on imgur since its too big)
    also my artstation, since all of it have the same case.
    https://www.artstation.com/patrickmanjares

Thanks for having the time to read this.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm assuming it's the way you're using the brush. You're afraid of setting defining brush strokes, so you're using a low opacity and create smooth transitions. Eventually, it's harder to decide which colors oyu wnat to pick, and it gives your brush strokes a very inconsistent, sketchy vibe. And finally of course, there ARE hard edged transitions from light to shadow. I highly recommend getting more done in your planning process, set up a few more things, like fe. when you draw your outlines, draw an additional outline - one that is supposed to seperate light and shadow in a very simple, 2 value scale basis, and then just block in colors. Mix in more of the own object surface's colors in the lit up areas, and more of your color of choice for the ambient light (like in this case, it'd be grey) into shadows. Only then start considering transitions and adjustments. Of course, reference is certainly helpful, especially if you're uncertain how to seperate in just 2 values. You can reduce any reference to 2bitmaps or just increase contrast to a level where it has to decide 2 values and where to put them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to White Rabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,059 Posts
    It is not that bad, the girl needs more contrast in her face, and the construction of her face in space is off. This is not so much about brushes, I suggest you study Loomis' facial construction, and real-life studies of simple still lifes...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thanks, I'll do that. I was still struggling with giving the face its form and rendering it as well.

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. Your info on the brush strokes i just realized is kinda true. Ill try fixing it up next time. On the second part, I'm not a 100% sure on what you meant but I did understood most of it. Ill try it out too.