Thanks

EPRAM Sketchbook

Hello, I briefly had a sketchbook here many years ago but I've since forgotten my user name and password so I'm starting over. I been doing art on and off for many years now but have taken it more serious over the last couple of months. I've been using twitter to dump my sketches but I feel this might be a better platform to get feedback and constructive criticism.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  218.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  250.5 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  375.7 KB
    Name:  2345.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  281.0 KB
    Name:  345.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  269.8 KB
    Name:  painrt43w.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  278.4 KB
    Name:  5v.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  206.9 KB
    Name:  324wer3.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  340.8 KB
    Name:  53132 cr.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  224.7 KB
    Name:  3123531.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  323.0 KB
    Name:  faces23423.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  234.3 KB
    Name:  12354234e.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  424.9 KB
    Name:  2135435ty5332 n.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  436.6 KB
    Name:  colortest.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  140.2 KB
    Name:  oyio9ytuoyhko111.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  226.4 KB
    Name:  bwroboquick.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  105.8 KB
    Name:  gdftgrdfhdghydeuturt6u6.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  198.2 KB
    Name:  l5864.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  379.0 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to EPRAM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very very cool characters. I see that you have a few almost finished pieces, but do you happen to have any that are completely finished and by itself? I mean, a piece that is less sketchy? Because if you do I'm pretty sure I would love it. I already love the sketches...

Thanks
    Wb, nice sketchy stuff, can we see some studies and have to agree with edgarej about finishing, I think it would also enforce your sketches.

Thanks
    Hi, thanks for commenting, yeah I have a couple of more completed pieces.
    .Name:  petrified.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  119.0 KB
    Name:  elf0.jpg
Size:  108.3 KB
    Name:  Headdress.jpg
Size:  425.7 KB

Name:  a2.jpg
Size:  356.1 KB
    Name:  20.jpg
Size:  137.0 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  355.0 KB
    Name:  dow.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  369.6 KB
    Don't know if I should move these to the "It's finally finish section" or if its alright to leave them here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EPRAM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those are cool, its fine to leave images here, or you can start thread finish section if you want. Sketchbook is place for pretty much everything
    Edit: I suggest you to read stickies, if you haven't already

Thanks
    Very nice start to your sketchbook, it's hard to give any constructive criticism at this point as its mainly previously finished illustrations but it would be nice to see what kind of studies you do to improve in the future. I definitely think you could benefit a lot from studying lighting from life or from photos as your lightsources and colors within your images are often a bit all over the place and the lighting on the characters doesnt really match the lighting/setting in your background renders. Very nice work so far though, especially those first few pages of characters are very well done.

Thanks
    I actually use my sketchbook to post everything in, including some final works... I never once thought of starting a finished work thread in the finished section.

Thanks
    stonec and edgarej: Yes, thank you, I think I will keep the finish work here for now.

Dennis Van Kessel: Thank you for the feedback. not surprise you see inconsistency in lighting, considering how haphazardly I created these pictures and how little environment studies I've done so far. I do plan to do them but it's probably going to be a while before I get around to it.

I guess I should go over in detail where I am in the moment and what my plans are. The sketches I'm doing are a way to force me to be more thoughtful and to reinforce a particular mental state thats more conductive to making art. I find that even thought I have a lot of holes in my knowledge an even bigger problem I had is that I wasn't using the little knowledge I already had when drawing or painting. I was hoping to fix that by trying to be less sketchy/loose and more accurate using my head and visualization instead of trial and error and trying to make something presentable right off the bat. The sketches are also a way to experiment with my eventual process, I did the first couple of sketches without line work and using a sketchy brush I made, but now I'm experimenting with more line work, which I'll try to add color and value over them eventually. I might also try experimenting with coloring black and white value as well but I'm skeptical whether I can make it work since I always struggled with that, the sketch above with the boy head and robot are one of the few black and white pictures that I colored that came out alright. At the moment I'm leanings towards doing more line work, eventually adding it to my processes, even though I don't have a strong natural inclination towards it I think the benefits will outweighs that eventually. My process has always been haphazard and unfocused I usually just threw some lines and blobs of opaque color until something form, so I'm hoping to eventually have a streamline and efficient pipeline.

In regards to what I need to work on, I'm probably going to be focusing on characters for now even though they're other subjects I'm worse at, since thats always going to be my main focus and the thing I should try
    to be semi-competent before anything else. Specifically I'm going to try to focus on the things I'm really bad at such as hands,design,clothes/folds,Hair not to mention just general anatomy stuff. After that I'll move on to industrial(robots) and perspective then probably try to build a mental library on those subjects(types of clothes,designs, industrial doodads, etc). then finally face/head and lighting. Going to have to figure out where I'm going after that, probably environmentals.

Although at this very moment I'm just trying to settle all my personal business and get into some proper sleeping habits(which I always struggled with) and try to set a art schedule for myself, until then I'm just going to just do more sketches
    from imagination and try to find more of my art that I've done in the last two months that's scattered around in my Hard drives.

Overall I'm in a Weird place right now like I said I came back from not really doing art a lot,then finally some stuff came together for me, I learn enough so I can sorta fake it and build some momentum but most importantly, a lot of my time focusing on my achieving a proper mental state of mind in regards to art is starting to get results, It's not second nature yet but I'm getting more consistent. But now I got to figure out my process and direction as well try to draw consistently so I can build more momentum.

Finally I don't know if its worth mentioning but the sketches and most of the "finish" paintings are done without reference, I usually only use reference on my studies but I will try to incorporate more reference use even on
    my personal "finish" work, but I need to organize my hard drives first and make a proper reference library. The personal sketches thought I'm probably still going to try to do without reference.
    Name:  8010154.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  398.5 KB

I sort of typed a lot, so I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.
    Last edited by EPRAM; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:23 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to EPRAM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are some older Black and white sketches I reworked a bit in hopes I would used them for coloring practice later.

Name:  rtgwrsgsdgdh.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  210.2 KB

Name:  sgrewwerht.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  223.1 KB

I tried to do different variations of this robot head while still keeping the silhouette mostly the same, but it was harder than I thought it was going to be. Ended up Changing the silhouette a bit on some of the variants.
    Was trying to see how I can break up a mostly boring shape into more interesting shapes.
    Name:  rendered robot silo template.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  222.7 KB
    I have one more newer B&W sketch page that I might post later(if I can find it) but I think I'm mostly going to stick to color and line sketches from now on.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EPRAM For This Useful Post: