Thread: From Zero

Thanks

From Zero

I crashed my car today.

Name:  Crash.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  242.6 KB

Nobody was hurt. My car took the hit for me.

I got extremely lucky.

While the smoke settled (cops were called, reports were written, I had time to myself) I thought about my life and the situation I was in, and decided it was bullshit.

I got lucky today. Will I be as lucky tomorrow?

I don't want to die with my song still in me.

Here are some scales:

Name:  Sketchbook 1.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  308.9 KB

Name:  Sketchbook 2.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  152.1 KB

Name:  Sketchbook 3.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  265.2 KB

Name:  Sketchbook 4.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  169.9 KB

Name:  Sketchbook 5.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  126.9 KB

These are to establish my starting point. Nothing pretty, obviously. I'm starting at zero just like everyone else and for the first time in my life I'm ok with that.

I drew these months ago and have done nothing since.

I'm going to be working out of the "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" workbook. I've got the textbook on Kindle and will be reading that as well.

Name:  Workbook.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  74.8 KB

I'll be posting my progress here. Hopefully one day my artwork will inspire others to take the plunge, like the many beautiful and inspiring pieces I've seen here have done for me.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow! I am happy you are not severely harmed. I hope to see a lot more and maybe try to take a look at loomis as well, just to get a better understanding of the foundations when it comes to anatomy. Best training tool is drawing from life around you.

Thanks
    Nothing like mortality to shift one's perspective. Who knows, maybe the crash will be a defining moment in your life. Happy drawing!
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmaremask View Post
    Wow! I am happy you are not severely harmed. I hope to see a lot more and maybe try to take a look at loomis as well, just to get a better understanding of the foundations when it comes to anatomy. Best training tool is drawing from life around you.
    Thank you, I am happy about that as well lol. Thank you for the suggestions. I want to work through this book for a bit but I think you are right, I should start drawing from life as soon as I can. And I recognize the name Loomis from lurking this and other art forums, I will definitely take a look. Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David_a_ray View Post
    Nothing like mortality to shift one's perspective. Who knows, maybe the crash will be a defining moment in your life. Happy drawing!
    You're absolutely right man, it was a crazy moment. Thank you!

Thanks

Pre-Instruction Drawing #1: Self-Portrait 2-11-2019

Before real instruction from the book begins, it instructs you to draw some stuff at your current level of ability.

This is the first Pre-Instruction exercise, a self portrait.

Name:  Pre-Instruction 1 Self Portrait.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  97.2 KB

This took between a half-hour to forty-five minutes.

I had a hard time with the nose and the ears. The biggest thing wrong I see is that I drew the eyes, the eyebrows, the ears and the glasses too small compared to everything else.

Also I need to shave.

Here is a picture of me for reference. I tried to get a similar angle. I drew from a mirror, not from a picture.

Name:  Reference to Self Portrait.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  134.7 KB

Thanks
    That's a great book you got there man. Love the self portrait too- observational drawing is such a powerful tool and will help you improve quickly.
    Glad you're ok and keep it up!

Thanks
    Glad you’re alright man.

Thanks
    Hey, keep it up and don't forget to have fun!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickStar View Post
    That's a great book you got there man. Love the self portrait too- observational drawing is such a powerful tool and will help you improve quickly.
    Glad you're ok and keep it up!
    Thank you Nick. Dude on amazon reviewed the book and said he loved it, so with his review and your comment I'm feeling pretty happy with my decision to purchase haha.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    Glad you’re alright man.
    Thank you brother.

I like your username.
    Last edited by ATQuinn; February 13th, 2019 at 04:33 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ATQuinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Can’t wait to see the improvement! Type proko in YouTube and
    there are some great tutorials and advice on there and thanks for stopping by my
    thread.
    Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star.

Thanks

Pre-Instruction 2 and 3: My Hand and A Room Corner

I did not realize last night that there were 2 more pre-instruction exercises. I honestly probably could have done all three lastnight.

Oh well. Live and learn.

I spent a little over an hour between the two.

Name:  Pre-Instruction 2_ My Hand.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  78.4 KB

I drew circles over the parts I struggled on because I'm neurotic af I guess. I don't know why, you can just see it anyways. It's ugly and the piece suffers because of it. Will definitely NOT be doing that again.

Name:  Pre-Instruction 3_ A Room Corner.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  69.6 KB

This is incomplete.

The book says this should take only like 20 minutes and I easily spent 30. I stopped at 45 because I realized I could easily spend 2 hours on this when it's just a reference point for my future work, and I want to progress through the rest of the exercises.

That's one of the reasons I bought the book, was so that I have some concrete, definitive goals to work through so I am not wasting time trying to decide what to draw or whatever. But I also feel like I robbed myself of the opportunity to get into a deep flow state and just experience that. And I also wonder if I robbed myself of an opportunity to grow? 2 hours of concentrated work as opposed to 45 minutes of focused but shallow work; one is clearly superior to the other.

Too I am starting to see the commitment of time it will take in order to get to where I want to get.

I waste a lot of time in the mornings that I can capture, so I can't really say that I don't have the time for this. Still I am concerned about balancing this with my other goals.

Does anybody have any advice about making time for art amongst the rest of your busy lives?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by billie cake View Post
    Hey, keep it up and don't forget to have fun!
    Thanks man. I do look a little grim in that picture haha. I went through your sketchbook thread and I think you're good at capturing the joy of the process, at least that's the feeling I get by the way you type stuff.

I'll definitely try to lighten up and have fun with this. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmaremask View Post
    Can’t wait to see the improvement! Type proko in YouTube and
    there are some great tutorials and advice on there and thanks for stopping by my
    thread.
    Of course man. Thank you for the yt channel. His stuff looks a bit over my head for right now but I think I will be watching his video on shading soon, and it seems like there's a ton of other good stuff too. I'll be back to it for sure.

Take a look at the FZD School channel. I put on the "Design Cinema" series for background noise when I draw sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 19