Thanks

Is life drawing/nudes necessary ?

I dont intend to produce nude paintings as finished pieces, ever. But many people have opined that even to do clothed figures correctly one needs to do nude studies because it is important to know the structure underneath the clothes. However some have said otherwise as well, stating that its not really "necessary" and is overrated.
    So experienced artists can you give me some perspective ?
    Now, i have reservations regarding doing nudes specially of the opposite gender (women) . But i want to be able to good and accurate figurative paintings. Painters i really love are Sargent, Richard Schmid, Nicolai Fechin, Sorolla...etc. I really like their style. I wish to be able to paint like them . Is it impossible without doing nudes ?
    I am thinking of doing skeleton studies for getting proportions right and doing studies of just hands and feet as those are the only body parts that i intend to paint uncovered apart from the face of course. Will this be enough ? I know only i can judge whether its enough with regards to the result i want. Still i want a third person perspective.
    Last edited by M07; February 9th, 2019 at 06:56 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    those artists you mentioned trained with life studies from the model, assume you don't have anything near their abilities ( because most of us don't) and you need every advantage you have access to, which means drawing from life and the nude figure is necessary for 99.9 percent of artists. So just get on with it.

Thanks
    What the others have said, when you draw from life you're going to be able to parse out contours of the body, how light interacts with the subject in genuine environment vs likely-edited and/or confusingly lit photographs; the more skin you see the more you'll grasp how musculature works. Do you have any reservations about drawing people in swim/under wear?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    Do you have any reservations about drawing people in swim/under wear?
    Ok, i am listening.... I want to be able to get away with the minimum skin show possible.

Thanks
    What about in a leotard then? It would be form fitting while still showing the shape of the body but the skin would be covered. Think "ballet costume" but without the tutu.
    "No one escapes unhappiness."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtal View Post
    What about in a leotard then? It would be form fitting while still showing the shape of the body but the skin would be covered. Think "ballet costume" but without the tutu.
    Works as a compromise, although it tends to flatten the anatomy...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    You are probably going to miss useful landmarks of body if you hide those. For example finding arm position you can look for scapula or clavicle
    Last edited by stonec; February 11th, 2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: made point clearer

Thanks
    You're more fine with male genitalia than female?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to onemax For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onemax View Post
    You're more fine with male genitalia than female?
    Lol...no. But thanks you asked. But i am ok with drawing non nude men figures from life. So someone wearing a boxer shorts would be fine. For women however , i would like to them to covered from shoulders till knees . So trying to find a way around....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    If you can't look at naked people for some reason then stick to still life and landscape painting because without it you don't have a chance of becoming good enough to be a professional.

Thanks
    I'm just going to come out and say it. This is weird.
    You know graven images are technically bad too. Depending on how deep your religious conviction might be.

I'm not against religion, but it does tend to be a hindrance from time to time. My advice would be to suck it up and look at some tah-tahs. Or find a new hobby. It gets less traumatic with prolonged exposure.

Edit: Hey man, I forget that people really take their religion seriously. I used to be that way. So I just wanted to come back and make sure that I'm not being a total ass. I still think it's weird, but I respect your right to be weird and I don't think you're an idiot or anything. Just weird.
    Last edited by Scribbly; February 11th, 2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Caffeine wore of... mostly. ;)
    Sketchbook
    YouTube Channel
    If there is a heaven for my soul, it's a giant lawn on a warm spring day with my dog.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M07 View Post
    . But many people have opined that even to do clothed figures correctly one needs to do nude studies because it is important to know the structure underneath the clothes.
    This is because it will look like clothes are empty and magically hand pop out of sleeve for example
    Its fine if you don't want to draw humans but its seem like stupid to miss opportunity of learning as you can get poses in life drawing that you wouldn't otherwise pick when you look from photos to study
    Last edited by stonec; February 11th, 2019 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Works as a compromise, although it tends to flatten the anatomy...
    I've seen some of those ballet leotards, particularly the ones on well-endowed men, that look like they were painted on.
    "No one escapes unhappiness."

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puruishi View Post
    Try posable doll.
    Don't. You'd better skip anatomy for now than work from inaccurate anatomy.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Thanks
    I suspect that pose-able dolls contribute to the terrible breast and waist anatomy knowledge a lot of artists seem to have -- there are a lot of great (and if necessary sex) poses that can be used that don't break the gal's spine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhugger View Post
    I suspect that pose-able dolls contribute to the terrible breast and waist anatomy knowledge a lot of artists seem to have -- there are a lot of great (and if necessary sex) poses that can be used that don't break the gal's spine.
    I am convinced this comes from the urge to show a girl's tits and ass at the same time. Check out http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/.

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Depending on the clothing you want to do , you get way more bang for a buck focusing on rough placement ,general form and how the fabric behave . Like traditional long dresses , armours ... etc
    Is life drawing/nudes necessary ?Is life drawing/nudes necessary ?

For more contemporary clothing , skin-tight-, soft fabric , you wants a bit more subtle anatomical knowledge ( little bumps of deltoid , tricep , bicep , legs ..etc )
    Is life drawing/nudes necessary ?