Thanks

Barbarian Ambush

I'm still very happy with how this image turned out since I've made noticable progress on drawing reflections and metal materials.

Name:  Barbarian.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  107.6 KB

The armor is inspired by those of ancient roman legionnaires, the helmet is based on a "spangenhelm".

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts
    I know you posted this in Finish, but you still have a bit to go. Do not stop trying. It took me 8 years before I posted in Finished.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I know you posted this in Finish, but you still have a bit to go. Do not stop trying. It took me 8 years before I posted in Finished.
    There is always room to improve :-) What would you focus on if you were in my shoes?

Thanks
    Foliage refinement, doesn't need to be overly detailed, but more than flat blobs of color.
    There's a conflict in perception of depth: on one side his hand is pushing a branch back and on the other side some of the leaves are inches from his body, however just below that leaves are layered over the tip of the sword which should be jutting forward significantly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by InfernoKing View Post
    Foliage refinement, doesn't need to be overly detailed, but more than flat blobs of color.
    That's a good point. Rendering the leaves with more detail might even solve the depth perception issue, since it would make it clearer how the branches are supposed to be positioned.

Does anyone have tips or tutorials for how to draw this amount of foliage in decent detail without going crazy?

Thanks
    Try a little more variance in color, cast shadows, and hints at the midrib/veins/creases along the surfaces.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to InfernoKing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It is indeed a very nice piece. The metal is pretty well rendered as you pointed out, if that's where your focus was I think you might find some points about that useful: think more about the environment he is in and what direction the metal surfaces are facing. This guy is coming out of a forest or plants with leaves all around him yet there is barely any green reflecting into the metal, you definitely have it in some parts, but if you want to push the rendering of the metal further than you could try rendering individual leaves into the metal as for instance on his body there would be quite a bit of leaves reflected in there, depending on the kind of metal you can make it act like a mirror and show the shapes of the leaves in the reflection even. There are some bigger mistakes in how the reflection is working, for instance on the arm plates you have these white lines, I'm assuming you want those to be reflections of clouds in the sky, but his left arm (right side on screen) is positioned in such a way that the reflection we are seeing would be straight ahead of him, so I'd expect more brown ground and trees, right now by making that arm completely blue you're indicating that he is on top of a cliff of sorts overlooking the sky. Unless that arm is meant to be facing upwards to the sky, but then the foreshortening would be off. The little metal balls on his armor are also a bit lazily rendered, you obviously copy pasted them but the ones where the armor is turning make it seem way too obviously flat, that could be a quick fix with some overpaint and would make for a more finalised image. Overall this is a very nice piece though and you should definitely be happy with it, since you mentioned improving the metal surfaces I hope these thoughts might be of some use.