Thanks

Need help with Perspective

I have been struggling to figure out how to draw things at different angles in perspective. Lately I have been trying to draw a mannequin out of cubes and boxes but I can't figure out how to rotate the different parts of the mannequin in perspective. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get better at this and perspective in general. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't know how much help I can give you as I struggle with perspective a lot too, but it seems like you're on the right track. Perhaps start simpler and fill a page of cubes rotated in different angles, then another page where you rotate two cubes on the same axis point. This interactive cube in 3PP helped me out a lot: https://www.geogebra.org/m/adzjwch7

There doesn't seem to be one magic tip where you can 'master' perspective, it's a gradual process where you get a few "ah-ha" moments now and then and slowly build up your skill level. At least it's been like that for me. Scott Robertson's How To Draw book seems to be the best if you're wanting a really in-depth understanding of perspective and methods of applying it to drawing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to svemir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks suggesting the rotating cube exercise and the interactive cube. This will help me out a lot. Scott Robertson's book looks difficult, maybe I'll buy it when I get better at perspective. For now I will just focus on trying to rotate cubes.

Thanks
    I just reviewed my perspective basics here (5th pic from top): https://product.design.umn.edu/cours.../lecture2.html

Your top larger mannequin has ~one eye level line (good), where you placed all you vanishing points function of the rotation of each cube (good), but the center cube is recessed/ off axis with the vertical axis of the two other cubes (not good). We should not be seeing so much hatching on the lower cube as it would be covered by center cube.
    Mannequin on bottom right has one vertical axis (good), but you have multiple/2? eye level lines (not good).
    Last edited by ro5ert; February 6th, 2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: multiple point perspective

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ro5ert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the critique ro5ert. I had no idea where to place the vanishing points for each cube. The perspective basics lessons looks like it will help with that. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Hello there.

I can see that you have some understanding of perspective already, but what are you planning to use it for? If you're planning to draw a lot of environments with buildings and such, I would definitely recommend learning some hard perspective knowledge. Layouts require a lot more accuracy compared to, say, characters and animation. If you're main interest is character design though, I might tell you to look into basic modeling software. Blender is free and you can drop some objects in and sketch what you see on paper. Tracing/copying cubes and cylinders from different angles can be enough to train your eye to be just accurate enough to draw forms without needing guidelines.

As I said before, you seem to have basic understanding of mechanical perspective, but in general your drawings are a bit stiff. Many great artists are a bit more fluid in their linework, even the "accurate" ones. So maybe that's the path you wish to take.

Regardless, hope this answer is helpful!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to madrinedaaa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi there!
    I don't know what effects are you trying to achieve, but my thought is that the perspective should be consistent in a drawing. In your case, the mannequin as a whole should be in one perspective. For example, if you are drawing it in a 2 point perspective, then there should only be 2 vanishing points for the whole mannequin, instead of setting 2 points for the head, then 2 different points for the chest, then 2 different points for the pelvis...
    Also you may want to put the vanishing points further away from each other, because your work will look too distorted if the points are too close.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to taramara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @taramara: Hi! It looks that this thread might be helpful for others as well ; ). The pic that I was referring to and that shows the stacked boxes (~the mannequin) rotation :
    Name:  stacked_cubes.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  50.4 KBI
    So in this example each box has its own set of vanishing points, with all vp(s) over the same horizon line.
    Sketch from here.

Thanks
    Oh yes you are right. I'm so sorry that I made a mistake. I'm also a beginner and the picture you posted is very clear and helpful.