Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Adien's book - updated 03/17/07

Wow... been a long time since I have posted anything... Haven't really improved much since last time I don't think, in fact, haven't drawn all that much in the last 6 months.

Started joining the Vancouver Sketch group couple weeks ago (here ). Those peeps are great! Thanks to those I've met so far... Spartan, Rubygenesis, Warhead82, Tak, Goflamesgo, Mr Frost, happy to have met you all, and you can bet I'll be showing up on a regular basis! (If i missed anyone, gimme a kick next sunday ) Any Vancouver artists out there, you should pop in, it's a great group, and I've learned alot already.

anyways, here's some drawings I did out of a The Flash comic. First page is a over a few days, second page was started at the sketch group on Nov. 7, then worked on more that night... umm.. might tackle it again for the head and hands, maybe not

peace

Don

I've attached this image to show next to my thread in the forum list.

Name:  sternwoman.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  33.4 KB

Last edited by adien; March 17th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Ok, yea, I don't post very often... I have been drawing though. I'm usually just too busy to scan. Happened to scan this to get advice from someone tho, so thought I'd throw it up here too.

No reference, started off as just a doodle really. lots of anatomy problems. He used to have a face, but then I moved his head and neck and haven't got around to drawing it back in. His right forearm is incorrectly placed I think.. which is why he doesn't have a right hand.

working on hand studies right now, then will move on to faces. I'm finding these to be my biggest problems right now.. then back to full figure studies.

Thanks
    Cool sketchs, I just don't understand that the flash with holes in all body ... but that is really cool , I will go to vancouver next year it's possible join new menbers on the group? .. keep working.. hugs

"Roll the bones ''

My Cure

Thanks
    Thanks Leonard. That sketch was actually of the anti-Flash, I think they are ports to plug in tubes etc, but I forget exactly.

Anyways, I'm starting to be able to pull off the odd sketch of a persons body without ref, but I can't draw heads or hands at all.

Here's a sketch page of loomis studies. I started drawing the man's head, got frustrated and bored, so gave him a body. erased the face so much I actually erased a hole in the paper haha. I think I messed up his right (our left) shoulder. his head is a total failure imo

Girls face sorta happened around the eye, outta my head, so pretty happy about that I guess. That eye and the one below are studies from loomis.

The line down the middle of the page is the seam of the book.

Thanks

another doodle... no ref, was trying to work out how to draw a hand with no ref, got bored and frustrated and gave the hand a body haha. :-D

Does anyone have any suggestions for books that teach how to draw hands? I have Drawing Dynamic Hands by Burne Hogarth, and it's a great book, just feels like it's jumping past the basics..

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    You've got some good stuff going on, I'm weak on the same ares too. But as references for human form go, including hands, I would suggest Bridgmans complete guide to drawing from life. Only one critique, In the head studies drawing, the guy's left pec should meet up at the bottom of the shoulder muscle and the top of the bicep.

Thanks
    Yea, I have that book, haven't look at it in awhile though, I should go through it again.

And your right about the bicep/armpit. I need to study armpits, I'm just guessing right now when I don't use a ref.

Thanks
    Hi Adien,
    I think u got quite a good idea on the anatomy. try to draw from life, and get some references too. with reference, u can see the details more clearly, and when u learn from there, u can draw without ref and still get a pretty good stuff (it's quite a tough stage tho) more practise will cure that

I need more practice. I speak poor english

- my sketchbook -

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice chyo

Here are some bridgeman studies. After filling (ok, they're not really full) these two pages, turned the page to do some hand studies, but couldn't get started. Not sure what it is, but usually when I draw something I can find sort of a natural feeling starting place... except with hands I can't seem to ever find that natural starting place. Most of my hand studies are total failures, and I tend to find it impossible to get correct looking proportions. Anyone have any advice to help me get past this problem?

Thanks
    Good job on the studies

As far as the hands go, I've found it easier to use my own as reference than looking at Loomis or Bridgeman. I suppose it just feels more natural starting off. Plus u can get any hand motion you want :p . But I dunno, I'm still learning as well Just keep drawing and you'll keep improving!

Seriously drawing from 6/13/05
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Yay! I finally bought a Wacom. Today I went out and picked up a 6x8 Wacom Intuos3, hooked it up, and started playing around.

I love it! It provides so much freedom! One of my biggest problems with drawing was being afraid of ruining what I've already drawn, and not being able to fix it (this happens to me almost everytime I draw). With a tablet, I can get a drawing to a basic idea, throw down a new layer, and start experimenting without fear. I love it!

To show you what I mean, here's a basic sketch I did with NO reference. A separate layer was used to experiment with different wing shapes.

Then I changed the above base drawing to a faded red color, and drew over it on a new layer to get this (haven't really done any detail on the wings yet):

(I know her hand is missing.. I tried and tried to block in a dainty little hand, but gave up after a half hour or so.. by far the most time spent on any single element of the drawing, and not even successful )

I'm pretty happy with it overall, especially since I didn't use a reference. Drawing something like this on paper would be impossible for me, because it would be insanely messy by the time I got to this stage, and look extremely muddy. an good example of that would be the sword fighter earlier in this thread.

Yay!

Thanks
    quick ninja doodle with new intuos3.

wow.. now that I look at it here, i messed up his arms pretty good... haha

Thanks
    This was a request.. no reference, learned alot doing this, although I don't think I like it.

/edit ugh.. went to sleep, looked at this again, can't believe I missed so many proportion issues.. /edit

/edit2 sorta fixed, on to the next drawing! /edit2

Last edited by adien; August 25th, 2005 at 04:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.